Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta over booked plane 17 yr old force to check tennis bag - college try out today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

delta over booked plane 17 yr old force to check tennis bag - college try out today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mersk862
And honestly, it's a bit sad that guitars are allowed as carry-ons (unless they bought their own seat). I know they're valuable/fragile, but to take up an entire bin for one thing rather than fitting 3-4 suitcases in there is a bit unjustifiable, especially with the bin crunch that there is nowadays.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
If she's on an MD88 going into XNA, then she's not on Delta anyway.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
According to her website she's looking to play D1 Tennis, why is she so worried about tryouts at an NAIA school?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:03 pm

I understood this to be her SAT-MEM/ATL flight.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pmclendo
She is on MD88 holds 160 seats.
Ok, this is different than it being a CR2. The racquet bag would fit in the bins of the MD88. When in the boarding process did she board? If at the end, did she (calmly) ask the FA whether there's any chance that the racquets could go in the front closet or something since they might get damaged in the hold?

My guess: Since the hold is pressurized, there won't be any issues with string tension. Short of them getting crunched by luggage (unlikely), I don't foresee any issues.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

thanks - just a big day for her. She is a real fighter. She did gymnastic thru 8th, then JROTC marines. Racquets are big deal to tennis player. I am sure the agent at the desk was over whelm with boarding the plane left 10 minutes late. She is on MD88 holds 160 seats - going to Atlanta, Ga then XNA.

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 28, 2010 at 1:45 pm Reason: Removed link as requested.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by javabytes
Somehow I don't picture a bag with 4 tennis racquets being legal carry-on size.

Also, did they actually overbook the flight? Or do you measure this by the overhead bins getting filled up?
For checked luggage, tennis racquets are fragile/bulky, unless transported in the proper shipping container:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ulky/index.jsp

Not sure about gate-check, still looking.

Some threads out there about tennis racquets not being permitted as carry-on, as they could be considered weapons.

Some of this drama sounds to have been avoidable, with pre-flight research.

Sensing more to this story.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Isn't this a forum about skymiles? What does this have to do with Skymiles?

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by pmclendo
I HAVE A 17 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER THAT JUST BOARD A PLANE OUT OF SAN ANTONIO - Delta OVER BOOKED THE FLIGHT SHE IS GOING TO TRY OUT FOR COLLEGE TENNIS TEAM today - WE COULD HAVE FLOWN WITH SOUTHWEST BUT I PAID MORE TO FLY WITH Delta SO SHE COULD GET TO FAYETTEVILLE ON TIME TODAY THEY HAVE NOW CHECKED HER TENNIS BAG WITH HER RACQUETS - YOU CAN NOT CHECK RACQUETS AND BE ABLE TO PLAY WITH THEM IT RUINS THE TENSION - finally got a real person - at Delta you could care less - if they didn't put it in pressurized area - the racquets will be ruin 4 racquets cost $150 each stringing cost $35 each. She is very upset. This was a big day for her. Very frustrated. It is very frustrating to me when service people treat teenagers as 2nd class citizens. She has really been working extremely hard for today's tryout.
Okay, I'm a 16 year old that has flown DL many times, and I have flown by myself on DL twice, with a third time already booked. I have never had any issues flying DL.

They can oversell flights because there are people that don't show up. That really has nothing to do with the fact that your daughter's tennis rackets had to be checked. It's a possibility that her bag was too big to fit in the bin or under the seat in front of her. She might have also had too many carryons.

There is not much that you can do other than to hope for the best with the tennis rackets.

+1

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Oct 28, 2010 at 2:13 pm Reason: image removal

Sensing more to this story.
Like an over-dramatic teenager who's been told thousands of times they are going to win the US Open, yet is still frantic over a tryout at an NAIA school? All the while mom didn't check the rules for carry-on luggage at delta.com...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by stencil
Exactly. Only thing in & out of XNA on DL is CR2s. I'm well aware of that situation, lol
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Like an over-dramatic teenager who's been told thousands of times they are going to win the US Open, yet is still frantic over a tryout at an NAIA school? All the while mom didn't check the rules for carry-on luggage at delta.com...
You forgot to add that it's all the fault of the gate agent.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
[QUOTE=freeflyin;15031211]I feel badly for the stress your daughter is experiencing right now,but some of this could have been avoided.

Traveling on the same day as something that is this important to her was her first mistake and I am sure is adding to her frustration. A bag with 4 tennis rackets and probably other gear would have taken up a lot of space. Unless she is a Delta elite member,the bins were probably full before she even boarded.
QUOTE]

Good advice.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When traveling anywhere there is no guarantee you can carry your luggage onto the aircraft or even be certain it is in the hold. Additionally there is no guarantee even the prospective passenger will arrive on any given flight at any given time on any given day. Anyhow good luck with your daughters tryout and fortunately she learned a valuable life lesson.

MisterNice
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:33 pm

shoot, i started playing tennis at age 6 and never had a website ! that must have been what held me back

i've never considered the effect of air pressure on tennis racquets but combining my tennis and engineering experience now i still fail to see what effect it would have (ignoring the pressurization of the cargo area).

would anyone care to speculate or explain how a rigid body of various metals + plastics with a grid of synthetic string (or cat gut, i suppose) would deteriorate at altitude? perhaps someone from denver can tell us about their experience playing tennis at 5000ft+ ? is there a forum for these questions ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.