Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

We Were Delta Air Lines Gate Agents for the Morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We Were Delta Air Lines Gate Agents for the Morning

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jackal

Also, Delta has spent over a billion on the Delta Nervous System (and is currently updating it to version 2.0), which I understand automates many things and allows real-time communication between all departments. I wonder how much different the processes are for GAs at DL versus at UA. Reading DullesJason's UA GA thread makes the processes out to be very manual. I've also toured some of AS's operations at ANC, and again, they have people downstairs manually reviewing things like connecting flights and rebookings. Getting rebooked on AS is a pain--not only do airport agents have to handle things manually, the non-unionized "management" Board Room staff and MVPG reservations phone line can't even touch anything going on at the airport. You HAVE to wait in line at ticketing or airside customer service. DL, on the other hand, automatically spits me out a new boarding pass immediately after deplaning from a delayed flight. From the snippets posted above, it seems like the system does handle some things automatically that GAs at other airlines would be required to handle manually. Anyone have any insight on that?
I am generally impressed with Delta's auto-rebooking features, but I have seen them fail as well. In any event, if you can automate 90% of your irrops it is already a great achievement.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
BTW... I sent the link to this thread to the Delta team that is coordinating this event for us in just a few weeks. Both the Leadership Team as well as some of the Gate Agents are having fun reading this thread. (They are really looking forward to this!!)

On another note, I was talking to Canarsie this evening about this particular venue, and we actually came up with an additional twist to the "ACS employee for a day" that we think will make it even more interesting, fun and a little competitive. Stay tuned...
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Canarsie
When a passenger does not show up within 30 minutes — or fewer, if the opportunity calls for it — of their flight, the gate agent will “bust” the seat in the economy class cabin so that it becomes available for stand-by passengers, or in the first class cabin so that it becomes available for those eligible passengers waiting on the upgrade list.

By the way, I learned definitively that if one boards a flight before waiting to see if the upgrade list clears their upgrade, they technically lose the upgrade chance once boarding, although many gate agents are lenient and reportedly do not strictly follow that policy.
For domestic flights, we "release" seats 30 minutes prior to departure for those passengers who have not checked in for the flight yet. This allows us the opportunity to give those seats to an "HK" passenger which is a confirmed standby passenger or a non-revenue traveler. It also allows us the opportunity to upgrade a passenger who was next on the upgrade list should one of the seats released be a First Class seat.

As for that policy regarding losing upgrades if you board, that's not the case. If we upgrade a passenger and they don't grab hold of their new boarding pass, a receipt will print out as soon as we scan their original boarding pass showing them their new seat assignment. If we decide to upgrade a passenger after they boarded, an agent or flight attendant will walk to their seat on board and move them to First. There's no policy regarding "losing the upgrade" that I've ever heard of.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by golich17
For domestic flights, we "release" seats 30 minutes prior to departure for those passengers who have not checked in for the flight yet. This allows us the opportunity to give those seats to an "HK" passenger which is a confirmed standby passenger or a non-revenue traveler. It also allows us the opportunity to upgrade a passenger who was next on the upgrade list should one of the seats released be a First Class seat.

As for that policy regarding losing upgrades if you board, that's not the case. If we upgrade a passenger and they don't grab hold of their new boarding pass, a receipt will print out as soon as we scan their original boarding pass showing them their new seat assignment. If we decide to upgrade a passenger after they boarded, an agent or flight attendant will walk to their seat on board and move them to First. There's no policy regarding "losing the upgrade" that I've ever heard of.
I simply repeated what I was told, but I would rather be wrong.

Thank you for the clarification, golich17.

Please stick around and field some questions, as well as give your insights.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Is there a rule against Delta employees accepting gifts from passengers? (I am talking about something a bit more substantial than a box of candy, which I have given to air crews when I flew on holidays.)

If someone is going to be stuck with me for an entire shift, I think he or she deserves something particularly nice and have in mind an Israeli item made of silver.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Dovster
Is there a rule against Delta employees accepting gifts from passengers? (I am talking about something a bit more substantial than a box of candy, which I have given to air crews when I flew on holidays.)

If someone is going to be stuck with me for an entire shift, I think he or she deserves something particularly nice and have in mind an Israeli item made of silver.
I'm sure there is a rule regarding taking gifts from passengers, however, as long as it's not money or something of high-value I'm sure the employee can use good judgment as to whether they should accept it or not.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
I see that the dovster has a positive angle as well :-)

Originally Posted by Dovster
I always do that for the last flight of the year: All FA get chocolate from the fresh/'ultra fresh' of Belgia (not Belgium, you English people) or France. I even ran into one of the FA on the following flight (last flight was ATL-NRT, first flight of the following year NRT-ATL), and she asked (only half kidding) "no fresh chocolate for the first flight of the year?"

Dovster, handling you for an entire shift?? I permit a little silver pen from Israel. But, please remember that you are representing a state, not only a state of mind...
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Event bump
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Absolutely a wonderful event. However, I am sleepy and can't think, so I will return to post later. Good day.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Absolutely a wonderful event. However, I am sleepy and can't think, so I will return to post later. Good day.
This, exactly. For right now, it's nap time. Oh, wait, are you in the lounge still?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Between Techops yesterday and the Walk a Mile event today, I'm walked out.

But it was great. I helped with 3 flights, and got to be surprised at how many folks do not sign their passports. And, yes, the GA checks for that.

The warmth and enthusiasm was overwhelming. ^

David
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Everybody I have run across this afternoon appears to have had a GREAT time with this event! And that's cool.

icurhere2, who was leaving to fly home this afternoon, said it was a great learning experience.

And one of the things he was proudest of was selling two FC upgrades on the ATL/MIA flight for $75 apiece. ^

That's a pretty good sales job as it would be hard to slam down more than a couple or three "free" drinks on that route. And no meal service either so that $150 is money in Delta's back pocket. And considering DL's largesse with our FT group these past few days, that's a good thing IMO.

I hope everybody who does this over the weekend will post their own unique experiences as a Gate Agent.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I will also try to post more later when I am more awake, but honestly, this was one of the best experiences of my life. I have so much more admiration for the gate agents and Red Coats. Wow.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
I must say - I thought I had respect for the Gate Agents job already, but my eyes were opened WIDE. I worked the C gates with a GA who has been with Delta for 30 years and we dealt with:

1. A first flight of the morning - Early even
2. Assiting with an International Flight (during our "break" at our gate)
3. While assisting the international flight a call on the radio that we had a new inbound at our gate (Flight change #1).
4. After greeting that arrival we pulled up a flight started assisting those passengers and that flight was changed to another gate and the aircraft at our gate had to be moved.
5. Another flight change and a delayed inbound with misconnects.

All in all 4 hours went too quickly and I actually wanted to stay at the gate. I felt bad leaving the GA when I did as he was in a cruch with the late arriving flight and still trying to get the departure out as close to on-time as possible.

Thanks to everyone at DL and the DO volunteers who made this possible!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
So who was playing gate agent this morning at T05?

I boarded the SEA flight (DL1929) and said hi as you scanned my boarding pass. Unfortunately your name badge was turned around so I couldn't catch your name.

I agree with everyone else - the Walk A Mile was one of the best events ever. This morning I sought out the gate agent I worked with yesterday and she practically fell over when I stopped by to say hi, she was so happy. Another FT'er was positioned with her (and I'm sorry to say I didn't get his name, either).

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.