FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Gate agent confiscated my Biz class BP at MSP (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1128306-gate-agent-confiscated-my-biz-class-bp-msp.html)

N965VJ Sep 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by tvnwz (Post 14754436)
an airport may/may not be a public place depending on where you are.

What would those locations be?

sethb Sep 22, 2010 4:29 pm

A commercial airplane is not a public place. an airport may/may not be a public place depending on where you are.

Why is "public place" relevant to anything? My front lawn is not a public place (you have no right or permission to be on it), but I have no expectation of privacy there (it's easily visible from the sidewalk).

tvnwz Sep 22, 2010 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 14754664)

Clubs, secure/screening areas and anything after security can be argued. The airport will contend that the whole airport is private property and they can control behavior. That has met with limited agreement by the courts. Remember the Hare Krishnas? the Supreme Court ruled airports could limit their solicitations.

tvnwz Sep 22, 2010 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 14754694)
Why is "public place" relevant to anything? My front lawn is not a public place (you have no right or permission to be on it), but I have no expectation of privacy there (it's easily visible from the sidewalk).

You have no expectation of privacy in this example because it abuts a public sidewalk/street without any barrier. Put up a fence or barrier and you do have a right to privacy.

N965VJ Sep 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by tvnwz (Post 14754886)
The airport will contend that the whole airport is private property and they can control behavior. That has met with limited agreement by the courts. Remember the Hare Krishnas? the Supreme Court ruled airports could limit their solicitations.

There is a difference between solicitation and photography, so I guess my question is what airport has restricted photography in the public areas?

nanocrispy1 Sep 22, 2010 6:25 pm

This may of been asked, was it an aisle seat or window? If it was a window then the FAM is off the board.

HWGeeks Sep 22, 2010 7:17 pm

You have no expecations of privacy at an airport.

Why? Have you guys ever heard of something called "Security Cameras"?

N639DL Sep 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 14743081)
i think we need to fire that GA and bring back that pilot to help scan the boarding passes. :).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Originally Posted by weezl (Post 14745525)
It was scanned first, then they grimaced and called for help while retaining (confiscating) the BP.

This is not the case. I was in line, not running to the gate at the last minute. There was no announcement or mention by the GA like "we paged you"

Okay so that makes more sense now.

Originally Posted by MPower78 (Post 14745933)
OP, sorry to hear this happened to you but try to board with your zone next time.

Can GA change someone's seat assignment without asking on whim?

+1

If it helps someone with handicapped issues, etc, I would see why they would move you. But any unexplained stuff is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by reamworks (Post 14751161)
Unless you witnessed the FA giving that seat away, you really can't comment on who is in that seat.

+1,000

s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1 Sep 23, 2010 10:06 am

It is interesting that everyone assumes that if the OP boarded on time, he would have had his assigned seat. This is not necessarily the case: if the GA who hided her name badge was up to shenanigans, she may have done so well before boarding even began.

thesaints Sep 23, 2010 10:44 am

A commercial airplane is not a public place. an airport may/may not be a public place depending on where you are.

There is a difference between "public place" and "place open to the public".

You can always be photographed in the former, you can be photographed in the latter, unless the owner (not the photography subject) forbids you.

Examples are the public street, where I can photograph anybody and a night club, where I can still photograph anybody, unless the bouncer kicks me out.

weezl Sep 23, 2010 11:12 am

Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1 (Post 14762984)
It is interesting that everyone assumes that if the OP boarded on time, he would have had his assigned seat. This is not necessarily the case: if the GA who hided her name badge was up to shenanigans, she may have done so well before boarding even began.

I boarded on time. I fly a lot (too much). I will reiterate this again: I was at the gate the entire time, not >30 feet away at any given moment. I would have heard an announcement, there wasn't any. I either board 1st or last because I hate waiting in the jetway. Even if there is an elite aisle to board into, one still gets stuck in the jetway if one is not one of the 1st to board. The exception is on large planes (usually Int'l) when they actually open 2 doors for boarding. Then, the F and C pax can often board at leisure and avoid long jetway delays. Otherwise, you are either in the front of the line or you get stuck in the jetway, or you just wait for the bulk of the plane to load and get on afterwards. When I do the latter, I am always near the gate, lest I miss a final call or an announcement (and now, lest I miss shenanigans).

sethb Sep 23, 2010 11:30 am

Originally Posted by tvnwz (Post 14754915)
You have no expectation of privacy in this example because it abuts a public sidewalk/street without any barrier. Put up a fence or barrier and you do have a right to privacy.

There is a fence. It's under 4' high and doesn't block vision, so there's still no expectation of privacy.

daregale Sep 23, 2010 11:32 am

I saw something similar happen in Atlanta a few months ago, but the guy in question was denied boarding altogether. I was transferring in Atlanta and thought I'd try to see if I could get on an earlier flight to Minneapolis. I'd rushed to the gate and when I arrived there were still people boarding the plane. The last guy in line handed the GA his boarding pass, the machine beeped, and she said, "Sorry, you're too late. Boarding for this flight has ended. You'll have to wait for the next flight." He looked at her increduously, arguing that he'd been in the gate area for the last hour and the passengers just ahead of him in line got on the plane just fine. But the gate agent was adamant that he'd missed his window. I slunk off to the Sky Club to enjoy an adult beverage and wait for my flight. I'd never seen anything like that before.

thesaints Sep 23, 2010 11:37 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 14763793)
There is a fence. It's under 4' high and doesn't block vision, so there's still no expectation of privacy.

The fence is an interesting case: if it is low enough that people walking by may naturally see above it into your yard, there is no expectation of privacy. If it taller and somebody climbs on a tree, or rents a ladder truck to peep on you, that is an invasion of privacy and you are protected.

Privacy doesn't apply only in one direction: if you engage in lewd activities with the lower fence, that's a misdemeanor, not so if the fence is high enough.

Windows, open or closed, with blinds/curtains or without, are even more interesting :)

jimrpa Sep 23, 2010 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 14754664)

I am not a lawyer, so this is PURE SPECULATION on my part, but how about the lavatories?

For that matter, how about the closed office areas of the airport, where the public doesn't normally go? Say, the Delta offices behind the ticket counter.

If the airport is privately owned, the owner is welcome to ban photography throughout the entire airport (for example, where I work, we ban photography. In fact, for years, we banned cellphones with cameras until it got to the point where every stupid cell phone had a camera).