Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many Medallions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ComAirKid
Maybe it's my routing or something but this year, more than any other year, I just see so many gate lice, zone 1/2, Medallion tags, and I hardly ever get upgraded - granted I'm Gold which is really Silver.
The other part of the problem is the whole boarding process. I just went ATL to AMS last week, and 30 or so people boarded and only two at the time were in BE. So who knows how many are elites or just people bum rushing the GAs anymore. A lot of this is do to no overhead space and lack of controll at the gates anymore.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Moebius01
Let's be honest, Silvers don't affect ANYTHING now. If Gold is the new Silver, Silver is the new garbage bin.
If you say so. I know that upgrades are based on availability. As long as Delta follows the rules they set regarding upgrades, then I am happy. I understand that Golds, Platinums and Diamonds come first. As a silver, I am 75% on upgrades this year. So much is based on the routes, days and times that you fly. I have admittedly had good luck this year.

George Dickel
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta/Skyteam Platinum Medallion and Million Miler, MR Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by GeorgeDickel
If you say so. I know that upgrades are based on availability. As long as Delta follows the rules they set regarding upgrades, then I am happy. I understand that Golds, Platinums and Diamonds come first. As a silver, I am 75% on upgrades this year. So much is based on the routes, days and times that you fly. I have admittedly had good luck this year.

George Dickel
I agree, it all depends on the routes and the times you fly.Flying from DCA to DTW and as a DM I am routinely one of the 50 or 54 people on the upgrade list on Thursday evenings with 2 or 3 seats available (I don't clear 90% of the time) so understandably there are a lot of elites on this route and also possibly a lot of lower tier elites (Platinum, Gold etc) buying expensive last minute tickets and so forth.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Fargood
I am a former NW flyer who is now a part of the Delta scheme.

Delta's game with the MQMs is changing the Elite program from a reward for true traveler's to a status symbol for people who can work the system.

The only good thing about this system is that a lot of the folks who artificially gain status really don't fly very much.
^ Same here.

I must be one of the very few who earned my status solely with my butt in the seat thru countless longhaul miles in Y on my very own dime - no Amex, tricks, or reimbursements for me - and am proud of it !
I've received upgrades when they were available (and questioning stares when boarding in zone 1) - but I truly earned them by flying and appreciate this perk as a privilage, not a right, seemingly acquired by most thru a padded expense account or a company travel agent.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, VX, VS, UA
As a lowly Silver, my 30,000+ MQMs last year were 100% flying miles. No triple MQM international bonuses, no AMEX bonus, no nothing. Just unadulterated flying. I know I did more flying than many Golds and possibly some Platinums.

For those of us that fall into the "grey zone" of only-flown MQMs, it's pretty frustrating to be in such a crowded field when many of my co-Medallions didn't fly as much as I did, particularly when being number 46 on the UG list on an LAX-ATL flight.

Last edited by Culrain; Jun 30, 2010 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Culrain
As a lowly Silver, my 30,000+ MQMs last year were 100% flying miles. No triple MQM international bonuses, no AMEX bonus, no nothing. Just unadulterated flying. I know I did more flying than many Golds and possibly some Platinums.

For those of us that fall into the "grey zone" of only-flown MQMs, it's pretty frustrating to be in such a crowded field when many of my co-Medallions didn't fly as much as I did, particularly when being number 46 on the UG list on an LAX-ATL flight.
That does stink but being from LA your bigger issue is me and the other DM's and Plats here. I swear LA is the biggest home of PM/DM's other than ATL or at least it seems that way. As a DM I have been in the back twice on the ATL flight (fly it weekly) and I was #6 or something on those occasions. Tough market to be a FO for sure.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Wonder why people even bother with this wretched airline called Delta.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Ticket prices are not bad and if you fly domestic a lot (e.g., PM or DM), the upgrade % is very decent...

Nevertheless I know what you mean; the main problems with DL are well known: crappy award engine, few low awards, exorbitant M-fares (in the USA only), PMU + M-fare requirement on TATL+TPAC flights, etc.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Looks like you may be in a very small minority with your opinion. Otherwise the title of the thread would not be asking if there are too many medallions now would it?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Thumbs down Um, you're taking the same advantage as anyone else.

Originally Posted by Travelomania
^ Same here.

I must be one of the very few who earned my status solely with my butt in the seat thru countless longhaul miles in Y on my very own dime - no Amex, tricks, or reimbursements for me - and am proud of it !
I've received upgrades when they were available (and questioning stares when boarding in zone 1) - but I truly earned them by flying and appreciate this perk as a privilage, not a right, seemingly acquired by most thru a padded expense account or a company travel agent.
You have NOT just earned MQMs with your "butt in the seat". If you fly on a Y fare you are earning 50% more MQMs. It's no different than the doubles and triples out there. I hope you're going to ask Delta to take those 50% fare class bonus MQMs back...
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, VX, VS, UA
Originally Posted by Travelomania
^I must be one of the very few who earned my status solely with my butt in the seat thru countless longhaul miles in Y on my very own dime - no Amex, tricks, or reimbursements for me - and am proud of it !
Originally Posted by mfullmer
You have NOT just earned MQMs with your "butt in the seat". If you fly on a Y fare you are earning 50% more MQMs. It's no different than the doubles and triples out there. I hope you're going to ask Delta to take those 50% fare class bonus MQMs back...
I can't speak for Travelomania, but I interpreted the comment to mean he/she travels in Y ("in" being the preposition Travelomania used), as in the economy section without any FC/BE MQM bonus, not on a Y-code fare.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
They can also pay someone else. I respect your view, but someone has to pay and ultimately it is the customer. Not you, the traveler flying. No one asks me as the customer, would I like my money to go to reward a flyer? I would say. send them on WN or at inconvenient times if it is cheaper. My point is that we are all sophisticated enough to work the system and should not have attitudes about "true elites".
As someone who has paid for consultants to come to me, paid for my own extensive travel, and is now paying for employees to fly, the issue is much more complex. Many people who travel for their job see the elite perks, miles, and points as part of their compensation. I know that if I were to strip away the miles and perks from my employees, I would have to pay a few of them more to offset the perceived loss. Is it right? I don't know, but it IS reality. One of my talented consultants sees the upgrades and accumulated miles as a benefit much like a 401k, dental plan, or vacation days.

When I was paying for people to fly to me, I expect that if I had demanded they fly at horrible times, with multiple connections, or with an undesirable airline, I would have paid for those 'savings' somewhere along the line.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by avidflyer
That does stink but being from LA your bigger issue is me and the other DM's and Plats here. I swear LA is the biggest home of PM/DM's other than ATL or at least it seems that way. As a DM I have been in the back twice on the ATL flight (fly it weekly) and I was #6 or something on those occasions. Tough market to be a FO for sure.
LAX does suck as a silver, but unless you're flying the business heavy times (Mon / Fri) on the 'big' routes, the problem isn't even DMs and Plats- it's GMs and other FOs on higher fares. As a GM this year, I've cleared on most flights (85%), and I fly mostly business times (Monday mornings / Thurs or Fri evenings). On leisure routes or days, I have no problems clearing at all, and usually in advance.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I would imagine the Diamond who was in the RDU security line this week with me holding a Y BP for a RDU-ATL flight on a Q fare would agree with you
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:10 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by DP-340
Ticket prices are not bad and if you fly domestic a lot (e.g., PM or DM), the upgrade % is very decent...

Nevertheless I know what you mean; the main problems with DL are well known: crappy award engine, few low awards, exorbitant M-fares (in the USA only), PMU + M-fare requirement on TATL+TPAC flights, etc.
^ Well said

I wonder why people still bother maintaining medallion status with Delta. Is it just for domestic upgrades? They do not even serve the decadent chocolate cakes that NW used to do in domestic First Class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.