Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I snagged award TPA-PSA, MXP-TPA May 2011 BE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:21 am
Original Poster

I had enough miles to snag the award for me, and have enough miles left to get an upgradeable fare (M)for my husband for $2600 and 50,000 miles. The upgrade is available according to EF. But, this is really far out to purchase a ticket, but don't want to lose the upgrade.

What to do, wait till the fall or snag now? What is the refund rules on an M class upgraded to Z class ticket?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by skymutt
What is the refund rules on an M class upgraded to Z class ticket?
The ticket is governed by the rules of the M fare. In my experience, international M fares are usually refundable less a fee of a few hundred dollars.

I'd suggest locking in now as there is no gurantee upgrades will be available as it gets closer. The Z upgrade can be somewhat elusive.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:25 am

We paid less than $2600 for RT TPA-MXP for travel next week in BE. I bought them in January and the price actually went down even more after purchased. If the price would be comparable next year which is of course a big IF, then you would save the miles.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Last Year, an I Fare Was Cheaper than an M Fare

I bought tickets in early January for DCA-JFK-PSA and return in mid-July. The I tickets, guaranteed BE seating, went for $2,500 each all in. The M tickets, which at the time did have Z inventory available, were in excess of $2,700 each all in.

I'm guessing the reason for this is that the I fares are non-refundable, but the M fares are mostly refundable (I think there is a $200 per ticket penalty).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.