FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   The 2010 Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event — October 21-24, 2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1096856-2010-second-annual-delta-air-lines-flyertalk-event-october-21-24-2010-a.html)

Burj Jun 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Yeah sorry I didn't really phrase my questions properly...

What I meant was will it make sense for everyone to park at the Hilton? Will there definitely be transportation between the Hilton and any venue that isn't directly at Delta HQ, which is near the Hilton (right?)....even for people who aren't staying at the Hilton?

atldlff Jun 25, 2010 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Burj (Post 14196271)
Yeah sorry I didn't really phrase my questions properly...

What I meant was will it make sense for everyone to park at the Hilton? Will there definitely be transportation between the Hilton and any venue that isn't directly at Delta HQ, which is near the Hilton (right?)....even for people who aren't staying at the Hilton?

Absolutely. The Hilton is the host hotel for this event, and we will be providing transportation (when needed) to the venues from the Hilton.

Last year, we provided transportation to every venue, and we realized that this really was not necessary for the OCC, Museum and RWT. Delta Headquarters is directly across the street from the Hilton. If anyone has special needs we will note that during the registration and provide accomodations for them, otherwise we can save the environment by walking to those venues. Transporation will be provided to the TOC, Fire Stations, Dinners and possibly some other venues, when and if they are confirmed.

Even if you aren't staying at the Hilton, everyone will be assigned to a group with a group leader. Each group will check-in and depart from the Hilton for a particular venue. We did this last year, and it worked really well. More details to come on the logistics as we get closer to the event.

MrAndy1369 Jun 25, 2010 8:40 pm

If I go - which I am considering - would it be possible for interpreter(s) to be provided, as I am Deaf?

ffI Jun 25, 2010 9:13 pm

I am already booked for Chicago, but booked my award ticket for this one too.
I will buy my fare ticket on DL when I am sure I can attend. There is a world outside FT, it appears.

It would be hilarious if I get better tickets on CO or UA and upgrade with my reciprocal upgrade for comped status while attending this event for DL! That reminds me to change the FF number for the Chicago event.

MikeMpls Jun 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by atldlff (Post 14196379)
... for the OCC, Museum and RWT. Delta Headquarters is directly across the street from the Hilton....

Which should be tad more pleasant in October with the temperature & humidity slightly reduced. :cool:

Dovster Jun 25, 2010 10:23 pm

I got my ticket yesterday. I have enough SkyMiles for a r/t TLV-ATL in Biz at the low rate, but not enough for the middle rate.

I got a low rate ticket flying out (arriving Oct 19) and took a return low rate ticket for sometime in late November. When I finish the trip I will be starting on Monday, I will have enough SkyMiles to change the return ticket to a middle rate one for late October.

RobertS975 Jun 26, 2010 5:01 am

As a DeltaManiac for the past many years (11 years consecutive PM), I would like to explore my schedule with a view to coming to this event. I have to be in San Antonio for a convention/meeting until the 20th, so it might well be possible to head to ATL from there rather than return to BOS.

One outside event that could possibly alter many Delta employees schedule and availability would be if the Atlanta Braves make the baseball playoffs. Right now, they are in first place in their division.

atldlff Jun 26, 2010 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Andy1369 (Post 14196852)
If I go - which I am considering - would it be possible for interpreter(s) to be provided, as I am Deaf?

Andy, if you register for the event, we will figure out a way to accommodate you. Please be sure to remind us that you need an interpreter on your registration form.

I was just speaking to someone from Delta about this issue earlier this week. We were discussing how to accommodate passengers with special needs, and the possibilities of a RWT training for passengers who need special accommodations. Last year, jetsetter, who is blind attended, and several Delta employees told me at the RWT training told me how inspirational it was and much they learned from him.

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 14196946)
There is a world outside FT, it appears.

Simply Amazing! ;)

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 14196995)
Which should be tad more pleasant in October with the temperature & humidity slightly reduced. :cool:

Absolutely! Late October should provide great weather for this event, as many of the venues, including the Museum are outside or in hangers without Air Conditioning. This weekend is the same weekend we held the event last year, and the forecast is for mid 90s!

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 14197204)
I got my ticket yesterday

Awesome to hear Dovster. As a point of reference - read the post below.

Originally Posted by RobertS975 (Post 14197903)
One outside event that could possibly alter many Delta employees schedule and availability would be if the Atlanta Braves make the baseball playoffs. Right now, they are in first place in their division.

We are actually planning on the Braves winning their division and making the playoffs this year. I am sure we can provide TV coverage at any venue that may conflict with the Braves playoff games. You might also catch a glimpse of me waving to the camera from my seats. :cool:

Dovster Jun 26, 2010 7:28 am

Originally Posted by atldlff (Post 14198197)

We are actually planning on the Braves winning their division and making the playoffs this year.

May these plans crumble under the might of the wondrous bats of the Phillies.

May they disappear as quickly as a cheesesteak sandwich at a fat men's convention.

May they collapse as completely as a street punk who decides to mug Rocky Balboa.

May they fall through the crack in the Liberty Bell and be washed out to sea by the Delaware River.

May the Braves heed the advice of Benjamin Franklin and go fly a kite.

In the words signed in Philadelphia in July 1776, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, and that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of a Phillies World Series championship."

MemphisQueen Jun 26, 2010 9:30 am

I'm super stoked about the event and can't wait to help out anywhere and everywhere I can. It was such an amazing event last year that I owe atldiff and canarsie big time for the experience.

BEST. FIELD. TRIP. EVER.

My RWT badge is on my briefcase and makes me smile every time it catches my eye. Looking forward to it again.

BAD EXIT!! BAD EXIT!!

Crazyhotelguy Jun 26, 2010 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie (Post 14195022)
Hilton Atlanta Airport has just confirmed that they will once again be the official host hotel of the event this year.As was the case last year, a special Internet web site will be created for attendees of the event to take advantage of their generous terms for the event. That Internet web site will be posted in this thread when it is ready.

since this is FT, i can ask this.....

Does this outstanding rate qualify for points / stay credit toward elite qualification? Sometimes group rates do not.

atldlff Jun 26, 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 14198793)
since this is FT, i can ask this.....

Does this outstanding rate qualify for points / stay credit toward elite qualification? Sometimes group rates do not.

Yes it does... you will get HHonor points for your stay, and your stay will count toward your elite qualification. :cool:

atldlff Jun 26, 2010 9:53 am

Originally Posted by MemphisQueen (Post 14198749)
BEST. FIELD. TRIP. EVER.

One of the my FAVORITE QUOTES from last year's event!

Crazyhotelguy Jun 26, 2010 10:04 am

Originally Posted by atldlff (Post 14198843)
Yes it does... you will get HHonor points for your stay, and your stay will count toward your elite qualification. :cool:

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!! Thanks...:)

DiverDave Jun 26, 2010 10:40 am

Originally Posted by atldlff (Post 14198843)

This is FlyerTalk, how could it not count? :cool:

HHonors is stingy in a lot of areas, but not in qualifying rates like Priority Club can be. I found out the hard way that anything 25% below the standard room rate doesn't get PC credit. :td:

David

ifette Jun 26, 2010 11:11 am

Anyone else considering a starwood hotel? I'm debating between the Westin airport and the W downtown. If anyone is interested in sharing transport to/from, let me know.

cova Jun 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by atldlff (Post 14164281)
We haven't finalized the Sunday agenda at this point, but I am sure that we will wrap up the day by 5:00 p.m. It is only a 5 min. ride to the airport so most people should be able to get flights home that evening.

Interested in attending. If Sunday wraps up by 5pm, what does does Thursday morning start? (ie catch an early morning flight to arrive before 9am) Or is it necessary to arrive on Wed night?

mersk862 Jun 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by ifette (Post 14199157)
Anyone else considering a starwood hotel? I'm debating between the Westin airport and the W downtown. If anyone is interested in sharing transport to/from, let me know.

I'd be interested...at least for a night or two. I'm probably going to stay at the Hilton on Wednesday night, but depending on the need for stays might do some SPG properties other nights (I'll figure it out once the schedule is finalized).

Stripe Jun 26, 2010 8:43 pm

No "Low" coach awards available from AUS. :mad::mad:

MikeMpls Jun 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe (Post 14200995)

But you'll get a whole 2% reduction on your paid fare!

Let's see, CO's reductions @ the CO DOs were 5% (more for paid F) and bookable on the web. Oh, yeah, they handled buses & registration, too ...

socrates Jun 27, 2010 6:24 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 14201215)

Let's see, CO's reductions @ the CO DOs were 5% (more for paid F) and bookable on the web. Oh, yeah, they handled buses & registration, too ...

true but even the 5% didnt' always make the fare acceptable...I have flown NWA to the CO do's in the past because of a large difference in fare (and a better chance at EUA)

atldlff Jun 27, 2010 6:38 am

Originally Posted by cova (Post 14200937)
Interested in attending. If Sunday wraps up by 5pm, what does does Thursday morning start? (ie catch an early morning flight to arrive before 9am) Or is it necessary to arrive on Wed night?

We are still working on the final details of the schedule. If you arrive at the event by 9:00 a.m. on Thursday morning, you should be fine. I do believe that there will be some type of social gathering on Wednesday evening for those that arrive the night before and want to attend.

Dovster Jun 27, 2010 6:45 am

Originally Posted by atldlff (Post 14202174)
We are still working on the final details of the schedule. If you arrive at the event by 9:00 a.m. on Thursday morning, you should be fine. I do believe that there will be some type of social gathering on Wednesday evening for those that arrive the night before and want to attend.

I will be arriving on Tuesday morning and staying at least a week. Can you arrange some type of social gathering for the evenings when nothing else is planned? Do not go out of your way for this -- a blonde, brunette, or redhead will do.

atldlff Jun 27, 2010 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 14202200)
I will be arriving on Tuesday morning and staying at least a week. Can you arrange some type of social gathering for the evenings when nothing else is planned? Do not go out of your way for this -- a blonde, brunette, or redhead will do.

With your reputation Dov, once the word is out that you will be in Atlanta for entire week, I assumed you would be overwhelmed with requests for social engagements. If that is not the case, let us know as I am sure one of the helpful volunteers can assist you... ;)

cfischer Jun 27, 2010 7:34 am

Originally Posted by cova (Post 14200937)

I am in the same boat, take the 7 am flight out of BOS on Thursday and then the 5 pm back on Sunday. Hope this works out.

cfischer Jun 27, 2010 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie (Post 14153912)
Hilton Atlanta Airport
1031 Virginia Avenue
Atlanta, Georgia 30354
404-767-9000

The $79 sounds great, but I am wondering if/how they might give out 'semi-guaranteed' exec. floor access to Golds/Diamonds. I was able to secure the ATL airport Ren @ $71 and I stocked up on the 20% off GCs earlier in the year, hence there is a bit of tendency for me to go with the Ren. If the Hilton would foresee that the exec. floor could hold our entire group I'd go with the Hilton despite the higher price.

MikeMpls Jun 27, 2010 9:17 am

Originally Posted by socrates (Post 14202136)
true but even the 5% didnt' always make the fare acceptable...I have flown NWA to the CO do's in the past because of a large difference in fare (and a better chance at EUA)

Not always. I flew CO for CO DO IV. The key decision point in the past was the Delta-inpsired 50% qualifying miles for lower fare buckets, which both DL & CO have abandoned.

The major point of my post was the difference in handling the DOs -- cigarman took care of advanced registration, but once you arrived, CO took over all of the logistics (for 500+ people). They considered it an investment in their best customers and a business opportunity to convert new customers.

cova Jun 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 14202324)
The $79 sounds great, but I am wondering if/how they might give out 'semi-guaranteed' exec. floor access to Golds/Diamonds. I was able to secure the ATL airport Ren @ $71 and I stocked up on the 20% off GCs earlier in the year, hence there is a bit of tendency for me to go with the Ren. If the Hilton would foresee that the exec. floor could hold our entire group I'd go with the Hilton despite the higher price.

A number of Marriott Brand options in the same price range. The Courtyard & Residence Inn are next to the Hilton. The Ren is a little south - but not walking distance. The old Marriott (cheapest) and the new Gateway Marriott are on the other side of the freeway. For those of us that are Marriott elite - maybe the Ren is best because of lounge access (mid week).

cfischer Jun 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by cova (Post 14203615)
A number of Marriott Brand options in the same price range. The Courtyard & Residence Inn are next to the Hilton. The Ren is a little south - but not walking distance. The old Marriott (cheapest) and the new Gateway Marriott are on the other side of the freeway. For those of us that are Marriott elite - maybe the Ren is best because of lounge access (mid week).

yeah, plus I got the best rate for the Ren ... haven't tried to get the Marriott down. Does the Marriott have a lounge?

MemphisQueen Jun 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 14203894)
yeah, plus I got the best rate for the Ren ... haven't tried to get the Marriott down. Does the Marriott have a lounge?

And the Ren literally overlooks the runway. Super cool.

ADLFO Jun 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by MemphisQueen (Post 14203917)
And the Ren literally overlooks the runway. Super cool.

Now you mean it is figuratively super cool, and not that the rooms are really cold, correct? ;)

WBurcham Jun 27, 2010 4:48 pm

I'm going to say this simply and without making this into a personal attack but if you aren't happy about this event, don't come. Period. Full stop.

cova Jun 27, 2010 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 14203894)

The old Marriott on Best Rd. has 1 concierge level - but it has been a while since I have been there - Their discount rates are down in the $74 range, with the new Gateway opening up the street. The new GateWay Marriott (closer to the event - but still on the other side of the freeway) doesn't open until August - but at a higher rate. The REN - not sure - older, next to runways, with a likely lounge.

The Hilton does look nice and it may be worth it for the weekend when the lounges are closed. Everyone at the Hilton - unless they have status (or know someone) will likely not be able to get in the lounge. The Courtyard and Res Inn are right next door - but looks like a fence separates so you would have to walk to the street before cutting through the Hilton parking lot. AAA rate with breakfast at Courtyard is $80. After all - this is flyertalk so everyone wants to maximize their benefits. But obviously the Hilton would be the most convenient. Need to see the schedule and see if their is even time to use a lounge on Wed/Thur - then decide.

----

Update: Checked some of the reviews the Courtyard and Res Inn and they are bad. Not stayed at either, but my overall experience with ATL hotels is that you need to be staying at one of the major brand Full Service hotels in the ATL airport area. Anything else is iffy.

The net is - Hilton is likely the best choice - since you do not need a car. The FS Marriott/gateway or REN would be good - but then you need a car.

Gargoyle Jun 27, 2010 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 14204406)
I'm going to say this simply and without making this into a personal attack but if you aren't happy about this event, don't come. Period. Full stop.

+1
It looks like once again DL is bending over backwards to make this a great event. If that isn't good enough, so be it.

mersk862 Jun 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 14204508)
+1
It looks like once again DL is bending over backwards to make this a great event. If that isn't good enough, so be it.

I'll second that - it sounds like Canarsie, atldlff and the Delta team are really going all-out on the event this year.

Crazyhotelguy Jun 27, 2010 5:33 pm

I will third it.... Looking forward to this and am appreciative of all the efforts.

WesNSpace Jun 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Biting my tongue.

WBurcham Jun 27, 2010 7:15 pm

Not intending to be divisive or rude but those of you from last year's pool session will remember that I don't mince my words but also can be relatively effective in my communication.

Delta is providing what looks to be shaping up like another great event and I don't really like biting the hand that entertains me.

Looking forward to seeing y'all again hopefully I can be there Thursday. Negotiating for that day off at the moment.

usa18dca Jun 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 14204917)
Not intending to be divisive or rude but those of you from last year's pool session will remember that I don't mince my words but also can be relatively effective in my communication.

Delta is providing what looks to be shaping up like another great event and I don't really like biting the hand that entertains me.

Looking forward to seeing y'all again hopefully I can be there Thursday. Negotiating for that day off at the moment.

I'll be down in ATL during this time and will attend this event when registration becomes official, so feel free to add me to the unofficial list for now.

Looking forward to meeting some people from the DL board in real life as well.

MikeMpls Jun 27, 2010 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe (Post 14200995)

Having attended both CO & DL events (> 1 of each), I'll call them & discuss them as I see them. I'd suggest you review the FlyerTalk TOS.