Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Open comments to SkyMilesInsider

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
The ones that took the good with the bad, engaged their customers and improved their products thanks to their customers feedback created a strong loyal user base.
I see we agree 100% on this issue and withdraw my previous objection to the manner in which you made the statement. Delta has a lot to learn about "new media / social media" heck, the best presence on Twitter is TechOps... that's saying something.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:27 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by WBurcham
I see we agree 100% on this issue and withdraw my previous objection to the manner in which you made the statement. Delta has a lot to learn about "new media / social media" heck, the best presence on Twitter is TechOps... that's saying something.
None of this social media matters if the underlying product, SM, is so uncompetitive. What is amazing is how DL's decisionmaking is regarded as so perspicacious in the face of its numerous issues with SM. How can the PMUs be defended, social media or no?

DL SM could be improved, meaningfully, at no cost, with some serious engagement. Nobody here believes that UA/AA/CO give away SWUs simply because they engender the warm fuzzies... what's interesting is that the DL COI calculus is so deeply embedded that it is used to position stakeholders in an adversarial situation.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dickinson
These sort of over the top absurd accusations, implying somehow that Delta executives are Communists, are really uncalled for. You owe someone an apology.
Having met RedTail a few times in the past I'm sure he'll apologize (afterall he is a fairly nice guy)

RTS, next time you're in China please apologize to the Communists you meet there for comparing DL execs to them
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by vasantn
Who are you and what have you done with DiverDave?
My account got hacked.

More seriously, there is this focus in this thread on getting the calendar search fixed. Meanwhile I have watched the availability of "low" awards on certain routes dwindle from mediocre to sparse apparently en route to being an endangered species.

I still like flying Delta, and have in general been treated very well. That's why I speak up when I think the criticism has gotten out of hand or has become unfair.

The calendar search issues are a symptom of the larger IT issues at Delta. I have been in IT for more years than I care to think of, and I know these issues cannot be solved overnight. I credit the Delta and NW teams that by and large they pulled off the merger without any out and out calamities like those that occurred with America West and US.

But in all of the bits of information that we have had from SMI and others, there is not the merest hint of improving "low" availability. And many fliers are not going to be satisfied with Delta until that improves.

It's not an IT problem. It's a decision that goes straight to the top.

(Or maybe somebody slipped a mickey into my Sprite Zero.)

David
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
...Effectively immediately, let's do the following:

1. Suspend all telephone booking fees for award tickets. If the online engine won't work, then we shouldn't expect customers to pay when they have to call us. Once the award engine works, we'll return to charging the fee.

2. Offer our entire inventory at the "Low" mileage level for coach travel every Tuesday through the end of 2011. If we have a seat on a plane, and the customer wants it, the customer gets it at the Low coach award level. Tuesdays are traditionally off-peak travel days anyway, so rather than dump these seats through sales and Priceline, we'll just dump them to our frequent flyer members and let them have fun. It's the least we can do for them.

We should admit that the award booking engine isn't near where it needs to be, devote the resources to fix it, and let our customers know about these special promotions we are doing for them.

I appreciate your hard work making this happen.

RA

:-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-::-:

Honestly, something like this would be a reasonable response, would generate goodwill, and would not involve giving away the store.
I wish we could see a response at least somewhat along these lines. @:-)

Those of us who burned a boatload of Worldperk then Skymiles/WP miles between about 1 and 2 years ago know how radically simpler (and cheaper in miles and fees) award bookings were at that time. Unfortunately my pessimism (and of many others here) regarding the negative trend in the value of WP/SM in the bank was spot on (I would have loved to have been wrong).

Look at my signature and see what has happened to this almost exclusive NW / Delta flyer for many years. I probably needed to diversify sooner than I did, but I probably never would have if not for the hugely negative changes (from my perspective - I do understand they aren't as negative to everyone else) in NW/DL frequent flyer benefits over the last couple of years.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
I think we should not confuse message with the messenger.

I have never met SMI but from his posts my overall impression is that SMI is a really nice guy that is trying real hard to a) relay problems to DL's HQ and b) respond here in an attempt to keep some of us happy. Hence, I think that we should be nice to him and encourage him to post more.

Regarding the message (or absence of message) from DL, I don't think there is any reason to stop posting bad experiences or criticisms, and propose solutions. Hopefully SMI will relay them and they will get fixed (before all the DMs switch to UA/AA/CO ).
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Back to OP's original intent ...

I was going to just let this go and walk away disgruntled, but since this is supposed to be a place for "open comments" ...

SMI, I was very disappointed with your involvement in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...requested.html

If you read my reply to your last, you know why. Honestly and clarity is something that shouldn't be difficult and would engender far more credibility in the social media world.

Even a "Look dude, we've got far more important things going on right now, so kick off" would have been better received by me.

As for your PM policy, I can't see an opportunity to meet you in person, as I don't tend to take part in DOs, and I'd have no idea if you were the person sitting next to me on the weekly DL flights I take. That said, I'd be happy to provide you with my SM number if it would lead to more frank replies than the one I received in the thread above.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jbatl
Back to OP's original intent ...

I was going to just let this go and walk away disgruntled, but since this is supposed to be a place for "open comments" ...

SMI, I was very disappointed with your involvement in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...requested.html

If you read my reply to your last, you know why. Honestly and clarity is something that shouldn't be difficult and would engender far more credibility in the social media world.

Even a "Look dude, we've got far more important things going on right now, so kick off" would have been better received by me.

As for your PM policy, I can't see an opportunity to meet you in person, as I don't tend to take part in DOs, and I'd have no idea if you were the person sitting next to me on the weekly DL flights I take. That said, I'd be happy to provide you with my SM number if it would lead to more frank replies than the one I received in the thread above.

+1
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Since SMI is listening, I will proffer the following specific ideas that admittedly are not original thoughts by me. I am not including the difficulties with the award calendar and the dearth of low mileage awards since they have already been covered by earlier posts in this thread.:

1) Allow your medallions the abiltiy to use two SWUs or 40K Skymiles to upgrade international HQK fares. Limit the upgrade bucket, but be reasonable.

2) Allow companion upgrades on any domestic fare AFTER all other medallions have been upgraded.

3) Change the AMEX PWMs program so that you can be upgraded when using it and can earm MQMs. The old US Bank Flexperks had a feature that would allow a few $100 off certs for 10K miles and tickets purchased with those certs earned full miles and EQMs. Please consider that model and see if it would work for DL and AMEX.

4) I know you have heard our requests for real cheese in the SC, but I would also request Soup in all the SCs. Nothing fancy, but it would be a nice addition that other a/l clubs have been able to do without breaking the bank.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Richard Anderson KNOWS there are problems, WANTS to fix them, and, as these issue move into the priority position will fix them. The silence is what drives most people to thinking that they do not care.....and frankly that is exactly the message silence sends. I am not suggesting SMI camp out on FT everyday but be more involved (even if just a couple times a month) and keep parroting the message that the things they hear here are important (if they are...lying is bad in a Social Media situation) and will be addressed. I honestly think they can mitigate some of the ill-will here by just communicating more.
+1. The problem is that for most folks here on FT it is hard to believe Richard Anderson knows and cares about these problems. We just constantly get barraged with "Best in class" marketing hype but the relatively basic issues of the FFP have not been addressed. And by "addressed", I don't necessarily mean fixed, but at least some indication it's being worked on AND HOW. SMI did give us some details a month or so back, but it was extremely vague about what improve. Even in this thread we aren't given a lot of indication of what those improvements are.

So without good communication, most people are left to wonder and the experience with the FFP has not left people with good thoughts/tastes.

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I will tell you they know this and they are listening, it just takes time.....
For all our sakes, I certainly hope so. Calendar and IT issues I agree, take time. But the issues of award availability I really struggle with believing that it is so hard. While I come from the NWA side, I know there has been many many posts from DL folks who have stated how award availability has gotten worse. I can't imagine pre-merger the challenge of finding J internationally was this difficult. Was it?

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I'd also add that SMI is not the problem, it's his bosses that need to allocate the resources and corporate dedication to social media.
+1. SMI if you're listening, we appreciate every post you make and your contributions here. I'm sure you take on more than your fair share of blame for decisions not made by you, and we also realize sometimes you hands are tied.

As I've stated to you (SMI) before in the other thread, specific feedback to us about what MGMT acknowledges is a problem and will work on would go miles to calm the fears and speculation that occurs here. Certainly you can and can't say some things, but silence is not really bliss when DL has done a bad job with communication.

Either way, thanks for your posts and contributions. Sorry to have missed the Mini-DO and meeting you.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by DP-340
I think we should not confuse message with the messenger.

I have never met SMI but from his posts my overall impression is that SMI is a really nice guy that is trying real hard to a) relay problems to DL's HQ and b) respond here in an attempt to keep some of us happy. Hence, I think that we should be nice to him and encourage him to post more.

Regarding the message (or absence of message) from DL, I don't think there is any reason to stop posting bad experiences or criticisms, and propose solutions. Hopefully SMI will relay them and they will get fixed (before all the DMs switch to UA/AA/CO ).
+1
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:54 am
mdb

Originally Posted by dickinson
Judging from the nastiness of your comments about SMI, you will fit in well here!
Exactly how was that nasty?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
To avoid cross-posting, here is the link to what I wrote in the UA forum a couple days ago as to why I am leaving DL. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ua-delta.html

SMI please tell me why I'm wrong and why I should stick with DL. I would love to have a dialog with you on a weekly travelers perspective of your company and why so many people in my position are leaving. I will give you my SM# if that would make you more comfortable and I would shake your hand too if you want to come to DTW and meet me (however, I thought the whole point of social media was to engage in personal discussions without HAVING to meet, but I'll play your game).

You tell me what you would like me to do, but I would love to chat and share my experiences. Until then, I look forward to warm nuts and XM radio in the sky.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally posted by SkyMilesInsider: I reserve opening of PM's to individuals that I have 1) met in person and shook hands with and 2) have agreed to provide me their SkyMiles number in addition to their FT screen name so that in the event we need to follow-up, we are able to do so.

I thought before replying to this, because i do understand your position. To imagine that you would personally meet and shake hands with someone who PM's you does solve the problem. You will need to deal with very few people. I have knowingly met in person nobody at all on FT, but I have communicated and done business with numerous people. As a matter of fact I work professionally with numerous people I have never met in person. You must do so also. That you do not choose to accept PM's is in line with many of the more cynical expectations in this forum. Disappointing. Of course you must have identification for those with whom you'd communicate. How could it be otherwise.

A friend who has worked with DL in rejuvenating web services and SM policies assured me that DL was a new and different company now, on track for doing great things. He is quite incorrect if your response is any indication.

Companies with quite serious customer service problems have managed to tackle these issues well and positively, even while huge problems were being resolved. A few posters here have worked with such companies, as have I. We know how hard it is. Telling us you won't deign to deal with us unless you personally meet us is telling us you are 100% uninterested in these issues. Posters who have met you say otherwise.

It's too bad you want to use 20th century contact principles in the 21st century. I apologize for thinking otherwise.

Check out USAA, Barclaycard UK, American Express, Starwood or Amazon if you're at all interested in the subject. They are not uniform or perfect but one can see them trying hard, and that helps greatly. transparency counts in this world, opacity breeds contempt.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta Plat
If you need to meet someone in person to deal with them, you are so 1999.

I think giving someone from DELTA ont his board our SM number, is a bad thing. Because what if we decide to post something bad about Delta and they decide to take it out on us by closing our SM account. AOL use to do this, if you were an AOL member didn't like they they would disconnect you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.