Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hike! Bag fees increase again 1/5/09

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Hike! Bag fees increase again 1/5/2010

In celebration of the upcoming NFL playoff season, Delta is offering it's fans a baggage fee "hike!" for Domestic US travel and travel to/from Canada

1st bag fee will be only USD23/CAD23 if prepaid online and only USD25/CAD25 if paid at the airport!

2nd bag fee will be USD32/CAD32 if prepaid online and USD35/CAD35 if paid at the airport

Effective for tickets purchased on/after January 05, 2010 for travel on/after January 12, 2010.

Can't help but notice that while other airlines are waiving bag fees to Canada, Delta is increasing them. Awesome job Delta

Last edited by iTanNicNic; Jan 5, 2010 at 10:46 am
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by skoker
Can't help but notice that while other airlines are waiving bag fees to Canada, Delta is increasing them. Awesome job Delta
Foul - DL - penalty 10,000 customers.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I'm actually surprised DL isn't making it in USD only - the USD is stronger than than CAD, which would mean more money for DL
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
The conversion math is too complicated for DL to do correctly...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Uh, 1/5/09? Did someone forget to change their calendar?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: DM
As a Plat/DM I would like to personally thank Delta for this increase, less people to muck up security lines (where there is no "special" line) and less people in line at the food counters, gate areas, etc.

THANKS DELTA!!!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
This sort of underhanding stuff is starting to really torque me. DL didnt even post this on the main page (at least I cant find it there) but just tucked it into the baggage page on the web site.

I'm willing to give DL some breaks but not putting this up front on the main page of DL.com is just stupid.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by fmsm
As a Plat/DM I would like to personally thank Delta for this increase, less people to muck up security lines (where there is no "special" line) and less people in line at the food counters, gate areas, etc.

THANKS DELTA!!!
But you're not doing the math properly. Few people, but a greater percentage of them trying to carry on 2 weeks worth of stuff, meaning it takes them 30 minutes just to get everything through the scanners.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Uh, 1/5/09? Did someone forget to change their calendar?
It's not 2010 for my brain usually until about November! Oops, but nice catch.

The changes are, indeed, for 2010 and NOT 2009.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
One has to wonder what passes for common sense among DL management.

Gotta take advantage of those new Canadian security regulations.

In keeping with the holiday season just passed, Richard Anderson is increasing looking like Old Mr. Potter in "It's a Wonderful Life."
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:57 am

Great news for business travelers. Lower ticket prices from the offset in higher baggage fees. Just don't check anything.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by skoker
In celebration of the upcoming NFL playoff season, Delta is offering it's fans a baggage fee "hike!" for Domestic US travel and travel to/from Canada
Clarification: "Domestic US travel" means any flight between two U.S. cities unless directly connecting to an international flight.

However: A flight between two U.S. cities, not directly connecting to an international flight, is "international travel" for purposes of Same Day Changes if it is part of an international itinerary.

In other words, if you are flying TLV-ATL-FLL, with a few days stopover in ATL on the way back, you can not get a Same Day Change (even if you are a SDDMM (Super Duper Diamond Medallion Member) with on your FLL-ATL segment without paying $200. After all, it is international travel.

However, you will have to pay the baggage fees (if you aren't a medallion member) because it is not international travel.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
For the record, as a person whose loyalty is WN first, then DL, I've switched travel patterns - I'll now fly to the nearest WN city to my destination, rent a car, and drive the rest of the way.

I'm a scuba diver. I'm going to carry gear - renting potentially unserviced, possibly hazardous life support equipment at a destination is rarely an option.

You've now added $120 roundtrip to my fare? This is a no-brainer.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
DL doesn't have much more way to go to catch US at the bottom. Keep it up DL, we're all rooting for you! Hey, wait a minute...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
What the heck? This is actually now worse than US. At least US offers you $20 at OCLI, as opposed to $23 for DL for the first bag. Now DL has the highest baggage fees of all domestic carriers. That's a $8 hike!

I guess I don't understand what's happening to DL. I mean, DL was actually citied as the most generous domestic carrier by TIME in August 2008, then DL was the first to introduce the international 2nd checked bag fee, and now this. I thought DL was pretty generous (UA & DL were the only ones still offering $15/$25 checked bags--in fact, UA is the ony one now still offering that for OCLI) but now... they seem to be getting worse? Something just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Jan 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.