Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Q. about DL's award ticket responsibilities when flight delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

I don't know much about the rules of carriage, except that they exist, but I need some help.

We dropped our son off this morning to return to SNA from RDU this morning. He just called and said flight hasn't left because of a mechanical problem, and they may not be able to get him out until tomorrow. He has to be back at work tomorrow.

We booked the ticked with miles, and an $85 fee because of booking so close to departure date.

What does he have the right to ask for, what can we require them to do for him? Will they refund the miles or the fee or a voucher or anything?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Well, they have at least gotten him on a flight to Atlanta. I am not concerned that he will get stranded in Atlanta for the night.

Am I asking the right question about "Rules of Carriange", is that what the guidelines are called or do I have the wrong terminology?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:07 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
It'll help to know what airline the award is ticketed on as practices might vary from airline to airline.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Delta. I didn't know that it varied from airline to airline.

He is in Atlanta now, and although he was told they have a flight booked for him from ATL to SNA, when I look at his confirmation no. it shows he is on standby, and the standby shows he is no. 19 of 20 on that list with 18 seats available.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

He is probably stuck in Atlanta as the flight is boarding, and I don't think that there will be a seat for him. Does Delta have to give him a hotel room? Where can I find out what the rules are, can anyone direct me? Please.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

He got the last seat on the plane, so he will make it to SNA tonight.

I still would like to know how you find out what the airlines are obligated to in situations like these, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by jkm8113
He got the last seat on the plane, so he will make it to SNA tonight.

I still would like to know how you find out what the airlines are obligated to in situations like these, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative.
Check out the Contract of Carriage on Delta's site.

BTW, glad he made it.

Bobette
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta FO, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Regardless of what the "rules" say, a large percentage of the time the airline will claim the delay is due to "weather" (and this means the pax gets nothing except a sore butt from sitting in an airport seat all day/night waiting for another flight). Remember that weather delays could actually be far away... the aircraft that is you are flying out on may be coming from another part of the country where there are weather delays. And then there's lots of times that they just like to claim it's not their fault ("It's air traffic control, I swear!") just so they don't have to give you anything.

Glad he made it, though.

The biggest thing to remember in these situations is to be calm and level-headed and not panic. Get in line to talk to the GA about rebooking, or if in ATL, head to the service center area and get a revised boarding pass for the next available flight, since Delta's system automatically books pax on that flight. Always be courteous to the GA, too... they don't want to hear a bunch of whining and complaining... and being nice may get you upgraded, a meal voucher, an amenity kit, etc.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:05 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to our DL forum for further discussion, together with a change in the thread title as the best advice for the future will come from a combination of DL's terms and conditions of SkyMiles awards and carriage with DL's practices in the best way to get rebooking. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.