FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   First, independent, solo trip to Cuba! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1213638-first-independent-solo-trip-cuba.html)

karns May 9, 2011 6:43 am

First, independent, solo trip to Cuba!

I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow morning for my long-awaited trip to Cuba. Here in eastern Canada, everyone goes there, and more than once.

The trip was a last-minute idea, not at all well planned or researched, but I'm not interested in the all-inclusive packages to the well-known resorts.

I'm told it will be easy to find places to stay, to get around, and to get to know what Cuba is like.

I have 10 full days, and am looking for advice as to where to spend it, besides HAV, and where the best places are to find less-touristed music venues.

Also, any recommendations for casa particulares, in HAV or elsewhere, would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't mention that I'll be an "elderly" single female, but with experience of less developed countries, and an adventurous spirit.

I'll post a trip report when I get back, so there will be some current information for you all.

thanks in advance for any help.

itsme110 May 13, 2011 6:37 pm

luv your spirit of adventure. have a great time ;)

andeesue May 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by karns (Post 16352657)
I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow morning for my long-awaited trip to Cuba. Here in eastern Canada, everyone goes there, and more than once.

The trip was a last-minute idea, not at all well planned or researched, but I'm not interested in the all-inclusive packages to the well-known resorts.

I'm told it will be easy to find places to stay, to get around, and to get to know what Cuba is like.

I have 10 full days, and am looking for advice as to where to spend it, besides HAV, and where the best places are to find less-touristed music venues.

Also, any recommendations for casa particulares, in HAV or elsewhere, would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't mention that I'll be an "elderly" single female, but with experience of less developed countries, and an adventurous spirit.

I'll post a trip report when I get back, so there will be some current information for you all.

thanks in advance for any help.

You might find that www.fodors.com will be more active. I've found great information on their boards.

Ancien Maestro May 17, 2011 6:32 pm

No hotels booked.. but planning to hit the all inclusives.. is being very adventurous..

Hopefully you have a list of hotels that won't retail you at check-in. Do provide us a list of hotels during your travels.

tcook052 May 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by karns (Post 16352657)

We're still awaiting your trip report but from my trips to Cuba I wouldn't exactly say getting around was that easy compared to other locales. Maybe you can fill that part in for us. :)

SPatrick83 Aug 18, 2011 10:02 am

YES! I'm awaiting your trip report as well. I'm going to Cuba for 4 days in November. Looking forward to hear about your trip!

BigDog Aug 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Another plea for a trip report! PLEASE???

djjaguar64 Sep 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by BigDog (Post 16981143)
Another plea for a trip report! PLEASE???

What would you like to know precisely?

Ancien Maestro Sep 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 17176161)
What would you like to know precisely?

We were hoping for an update from karns.. but surely if you've got a first hand experience..

Where do you hotel? How is their food? A pretty good deal? I imagine everything is all inclusive.. so how was the beach, service.. how many restaurants?

Sports, entertainment, # of rooms, rating matching experience?

SPatrick83 Sep 29, 2011 2:00 pm

I'll be at the Paradisus Veradero ALL inclusive resort for two days over Thanksgiving then two days in Havana (at Palacio Central) over the weekend returning to Grand Cayman on Sunday and Miami Monday morning... somebodys gotta work! I'll be sure to do a trip report!

Ancien Maestro Sep 30, 2011 12:43 am

Originally Posted by SPatrick83 (Post 17194422)
I'll be at the Paradisus Veradero ALL inclusive resort for two days over Thanksgiving then two days in Havana (at Palacio Central) over the weekend returning to Grand Cayman on Sunday and Miami Monday morning... somebodys gotta work! I'll be sure to do a trip report!

Paradisus Varadero will be wonderful.. imo Varadero has the nicest beach in the world.. incredibly fine heavenly white sand..

djjaguar64 Oct 16, 2011 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 17179078)
We were hoping for an update from karns.. but surely if you've got a first hand experience..

Where do you hotel? How is their food? A pretty good deal? I imagine everything is all inclusive.. so how was the beach, service.. how many restaurants?

Sports, entertainment, # of rooms, rating matching experience?

Sorry forgot about this thread.

I have been going to Havana since 2001. Spend Christmas and New Years there.

I recommend the following Havana hotels if you are very picky:
Vedado Area
Melia Cohiba
Nacional
Tryp Habana Libre

Capitolio Area
Parques Central and the new tower Torres

There are more hotels in the Miramar area but just going back and forth to the city is a pain.

The Beach is just 20 minutes outside of »Havana, accessible with the tourist double decker bus for 3 pesos each way.

I never stay in all inclusives not crazy about the food. Word of caution, never eat soup in Cuba.
Restaurants in Havana that I like:
Kasalta
El Ajibe(all you can eat chicken grilled)
La Roca (cheap, 5 pesos include beer, main dish and dessert)

As well I found an amazing casa for my self this year, for 30 pesos a day, inculdes living room, bedroom, kitchen and a balcony right in the meddle of Vedado.

Just a warning that if you choose a resort make sure it is 5 star and nothing below that, go for a Melia property.
Anymore questions send me a PM or post here so others can read. I was just there over the Thanksgiving weekend. I will be there again this Dec. This time exploring, Sanata Clara and Trinidad de cuba.

jaguar Jan 8, 2012 7:45 am

Thank you FT member djjaguar64 for the excellent info. I'm going to take your advice on where to eat and stay and book my trip to Cuba.

Ancien Maestro Jan 8, 2012 8:52 pm

All meal deal for 5 pesos.. incredible..

carpetbagger Feb 2, 2012 2:43 am

Originally Posted by jaguar (Post 17771366)
Thank you FT member djjaguar64 for the excellent info. I'm going to take your advice on where to eat and stay and book my trip to Cuba.

In case you need an excellent casa particular (it is like a boutique hotel) in Havana take a look to Ydalgo´s house artedel.

This is a link to tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...vana_Cuba.html