Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

First, independent, solo trip to Cuba!

First, independent, solo trip to Cuba!

Old May 9, 11, 6:43 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: YHZ
Posts: 256
First, independent, solo trip to Cuba!

I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow morning for my long-awaited trip to Cuba. Here in eastern Canada, everyone goes there, and more than once.

The trip was a last-minute idea, not at all well planned or researched, but I'm not interested in the all-inclusive packages to the well-known resorts.

I'm told it will be easy to find places to stay, to get around, and to get to know what Cuba is like.

I have 10 full days, and am looking for advice as to where to spend it, besides HAV, and where the best places are to find less-touristed music venues.

Also, any recommendations for casa particulares, in HAV or elsewhere, would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't mention that I'll be an "elderly" single female, but with experience of less developed countries, and an adventurous spirit.

I'll post a trip report when I get back, so there will be some current information for you all.

thanks in advance for any help.
karns is offline  
Old May 13, 11, 6:37 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: pvr
Programs: US C.P.
Posts: 546
luv your spirit of adventure. have a great time
itsme110 is offline  
Old May 14, 11, 9:28 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by karns View Post
I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow morning for my long-awaited trip to Cuba. Here in eastern Canada, everyone goes there, and more than once.

The trip was a last-minute idea, not at all well planned or researched, but I'm not interested in the all-inclusive packages to the well-known resorts.

I'm told it will be easy to find places to stay, to get around, and to get to know what Cuba is like.

I have 10 full days, and am looking for advice as to where to spend it, besides HAV, and where the best places are to find less-touristed music venues.

Also, any recommendations for casa particulares, in HAV or elsewhere, would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't mention that I'll be an "elderly" single female, but with experience of less developed countries, and an adventurous spirit.

I'll post a trip report when I get back, so there will be some current information for you all.

thanks in advance for any help.
You might find that www.fodors.com will be more active. I've found great information on their boards.
andeesue is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 6:32 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
No hotels booked.. but planning to hit the all inclusives.. is being very adventurous..

Hopefully you have a list of hotels that won't retail you at check-in. Do provide us a list of hotels during your travels.
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 9:44 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,735
Originally Posted by karns View Post
I'm told it will be easy to find places to stay, to get around, and to get to know what Cuba is like.
We're still awaiting your trip report but from my trips to Cuba I wouldn't exactly say getting around was that easy compared to other locales. Maybe you can fill that part in for us.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 11, 10:02 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MIA, FLL
Programs: DL Gold, SkyClub, AA PLT, CO Silver, AS MVPGLD
Posts: 147
YES! I'm awaiting your trip report as well. I'm going to Cuba for 4 days in November. Looking forward to hear about your trip!
SPatrick83 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 11, 5:52 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: MSN
Posts: 91
Another plea for a trip report! PLEASE???
BigDog is offline  
Old Sep 26, 11, 1:03 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: YYZ
Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Posts: 13,340
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
Another plea for a trip report! PLEASE???
What would you like to know precisely?
djjaguar64 is offline  
Old Sep 26, 11, 10:27 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
What would you like to know precisely?
We were hoping for an update from karns.. but surely if you've got a first hand experience..

Where do you hotel? How is their food? A pretty good deal? I imagine everything is all inclusive.. so how was the beach, service.. how many restaurants?

Sports, entertainment, # of rooms, rating matching experience?
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 2:00 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MIA, FLL
Programs: DL Gold, SkyClub, AA PLT, CO Silver, AS MVPGLD
Posts: 147
I'll be at the Paradisus Veradero ALL inclusive resort for two days over Thanksgiving then two days in Havana (at Palacio Central) over the weekend returning to Grand Cayman on Sunday and Miami Monday morning... somebodys gotta work! I'll be sure to do a trip report!
SPatrick83 is offline  
Old Sep 30, 11, 12:43 am
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Originally Posted by SPatrick83 View Post
I'll be at the Paradisus Veradero ALL inclusive resort for two days over Thanksgiving then two days in Havana (at Palacio Central) over the weekend returning to Grand Cayman on Sunday and Miami Monday morning... somebodys gotta work! I'll be sure to do a trip report!
Paradisus Varadero will be wonderful.. imo Varadero has the nicest beach in the world.. incredibly fine heavenly white sand..
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Oct 16, 11, 9:34 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: YYZ
Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Posts: 13,340
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
We were hoping for an update from karns.. but surely if you've got a first hand experience..

Where do you hotel? How is their food? A pretty good deal? I imagine everything is all inclusive.. so how was the beach, service.. how many restaurants?

Sports, entertainment, # of rooms, rating matching experience?
Sorry forgot about this thread.

I have been going to Havana since 2001. Spend Christmas and New Years there.

I recommend the following Havana hotels if you are very picky:
Vedado Area
Melia Cohiba
Nacional
Tryp Habana Libre

Capitolio Area
Parques Central and the new tower Torres

There are more hotels in the Miramar area but just going back and forth to the city is a pain.

The Beach is just 20 minutes outside of »Havana, accessible with the tourist double decker bus for 3 pesos each way.

I never stay in all inclusives not crazy about the food. Word of caution, never eat soup in Cuba.
Restaurants in Havana that I like:
Kasalta
El Ajibe(all you can eat chicken grilled)
La Roca (cheap, 5 pesos include beer, main dish and dessert)

As well I found an amazing casa for my self this year, for 30 pesos a day, inculdes living room, bedroom, kitchen and a balcony right in the meddle of Vedado.

Just a warning that if you choose a resort make sure it is 5 star and nothing below that, go for a Melia property.
Anymore questions send me a PM or post here so others can read. I was just there over the Thanksgiving weekend. I will be there again this Dec. This time exploring, Sanata Clara and Trinidad de cuba.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Oct 16, 11 at 9:45 am
djjaguar64 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 12, 7:45 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: SFO
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 2,260
Thank you FT member djjaguar64 for the excellent info. I'm going to take your advice on where to eat and stay and book my trip to Cuba.
jaguar is offline  
Old Jan 8, 12, 8:52 pm
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
All meal deal for 5 pesos.. incredible..
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Feb 2, 12, 2:43 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: BER HAV
Programs: lh sen spg plat ra plat hyatt dia
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
Thank you FT member djjaguar64 for the excellent info. I'm going to take your advice on where to eat and stay and book my trip to Cuba.



In case you need an excellent casa particular (it is like a boutique hotel) in Havana take a look to Ydalgo´s house artedel.

This is a link to tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...vana_Cuba.html
carpetbagger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread