Search

What I've found about whether the Cruise line can get you a great airfare deal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
What I've found about whether the Cruise line can get you a great airfare deal

My experience with Seabourn (part of Carnival) is:
1) The best deal they can get you will usually be to book far in advance.
2) If you book far in advance you can still get a full refund up to about 3 months or so before departure or make no cost changes.
3) But if you cancel or miss your flight booked thru the cruise line after it is too late for a refund (and you don't have travel insurance that covers it) you suffer a total loss of the fare. You do not get to pay a charge fee and have a credit with the airline to use in the next 12 months.
4) From the US to the Caribbean and back I can book premium airfare far in advance cheaper than the cruise line.
5) From the US to Europe and back I can't come close to finding the terrific deals--sometimes $2,000 pp RT business class TATL, first class intra-continental--the cruise line can get
if I book far in advance and am flexible as to dates and arrival and departure cities. But you have to tell the cruise line you are flexible, for example, you are willing to fly into Hamburg rather than Copenhagen (and take the scenic train from Hamburg to Copenhagen) and maybe spend a day or two enjoying Hamburg, or you are willing to arrive a day or two early or depart a day or two later.)
6) If, after the cruise line has booked your fare and the airline makes a significant schedule change, usually an hour or more with respect to a flight:
A) If the change still works, you can call your cruise line and see about the possibility of using the airline's change to make a change in your schedule if you now desire to change your dates even if it is past the no-refund period. For example, my departure flight for Athens was changed to two hours earlier and I co-incidentally wanted to arrive a day or two earlier in Athens due to changed plans. I called. I could go a day earlier on a different airline for a $23,000 per person upcharge or a day earlier on the same airline for a $500 per person reduction in fare. So, the latter choice was a great deal, and one that I wouldn't've known about w/o asking.
B) if the changed air line schedule now makes an impossible connection even though you are supposed to re-schedule thru the cruise line, the airline will probably take your call for a re-schedule to clean up an impossible connection. But the cruise line may be more helpful in exploring all your new options.
7) As always, if you book your own air and you miss the boat because the plane is delayed, it is not the cruise line's problem like it is if they book the air.
8) The cruise line will book you with major airlines and you will get all the redeemable and elite qualifying miles you would get if you booked yourself for the same flights.
9) The cruise line may not work with some discount airlines that might serve you well or have a direct flight for you whereas the major airline will not offer you a direct flight on certain routes.

At least this has been my experience. I would be interested in hearing of others' experiences on the issue of booking one's own airfare or booking it through the cruise line, particularly premium airfare.
747FC likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Good post with good information. The only difference in our experience is that cruise line airfares to Europe are not always less expensive than you can book on your own. Case in point was our cruise in the Med last year. Despite advertising reduced airfare rates the cruise line wanted $2,000 ($1,000/person) more for the same flights in first/business than I could book myself. Now this was with Silversea and was before Silversea became a part of Royal Caribbean. Point being as a smaller standalone line Silversea may not have had the same negotiating power with the airlines but do now that they’re part of a large corporation with more leverage. I certainly will at least price airfares through them when we book our next cruise. Never hurts to ask.

Last edited by Randyk47; Dec 17, 2018 at 6:08 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
One point you missed is that cruise line air fares may (or more definitely, are) not eligible for weather waivers. You may also end up at the bottom of the list for reaccommodation.

I am not sure about No. 8 but it may also depend on cabin class.

Fare rules may be difficult if not impossible to find.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Never did air booking with a cruise line as mostly we use miles for premium cabins. One good use of the service may be in cases where the origination and destination are in different regions that might necessitate one-way fares on separate airlines. I'd be interested if anyone has any insights into this aspect.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Never did air booking with a cruise line as mostly we use miles for premium cabins. One good use of the service may be in cases where the origination and destination are in different regions that might necessitate one-way fares on separate airlines. I'd be interested if anyone has any insights into this aspect.
Our Med cruises have all been point to point starting and ending at different ports. Some reasonable like Rome to Athens or vice versa. Some long distance like Barcelona to Istanbul and Rome to Dubai. In all cases we’ve been able to book flights using airline partners like OneWorld, Star Alliance, etc.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have an upcoming Viking river cruise next year, with premium economy included as part of the booking; our travel agent did not mention it herself, but I asked whether it would be possible to apply that towards an upgrade, which she was able to do at what I consider a reasonable cost.

(arriving Budapest, departing Munich)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47

Our Med cruises have all been point to point starting and ending at different ports. Some reasonable like Rome to Athens or vice versa. Some long distance like Barcelona to Istanbul and Rome to Dubai. In all cases we’ve been able to book flights using airline partners like OneWorld, Star Alliance, etc.
The only time we have used different carriers/alliances on paid one-way tickets was HNL-ANC on Alaska and return NRT-HNL on Delta. For whatever reason, these one-ways were priced at half of what would have been RT fares, so we lucked out. But, we had to do a bit of searching. Had we taken United back from NRT, the price would have tripled. Thank you, Google Flights.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:57 am

The only time we have used different carriers/alliances on paid one-way tickets was HNL-ANC on Alaska and return NRT-HNL on Delta. For whatever reason, these one-ways were priced at half of what would have been RT fares, so we lucked out. But, we had to do a bit of searching. Had we taken United back from NRT, the price would have tripled. Thank you, Google Flights.
It’s a crap shoot. So far the best we’ve been able to do is getting separately booked outbound and return flights at about the same total cost but never lower. Our last trip we flew to Rome on Delta and then returned from Dubai on same booking using Air France to Paris and Delta home. What I really wanted to do on the return was Dubai to Houston on Emirates then home. Since Emirates is not connected to Delta it would have been two separate bookings. Holy moly Emirates is proud of its business class and way way over my pay grade for first. The Emirates return in business alone would have cost the same as the full outbound and return on Delta. Yes I realize there’s a big difference but there are limits, at least to my pocket book.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:42 pm

I'm taking a westbound transatlantic cruise on Cunard and trying to book a one-way flight in business class. They are quoting about $1900, which is several times less than I could get on my own. The problem is that only the flight over the Atlantic is in business class. The domestic flights are in economy, with no chance of upgrading. Does that sound normal? I'd really like to upgrade.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by mattrag
I'm taking a westbound transatlantic cruise on Cunard and trying to book a one-way flight in business class. They are quoting about $1900, which is several times less than I could get on my own. The problem is that only the flight over the Atlantic is in business class. The domestic flights are in economy, with no chance of upgrading. Does that sound normal? I'd really like to upgrade.
Well perhaps you can't upgrade, but I am sure that they would be willing to sell you a domestic J seat as part of the package.

If you are an American Express Platinum or Centurion card holder, you can do this with the International Airline Program.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:34 am

Well perhaps you can't upgrade, but I am sure that they would be willing to sell you a domestic J seat as part of the package.

If you are an American Express Platinum or Centurion card holder, you can do this with the International Airline Program.
One of our problems with cruise line air is that we live in San Antonio, Texas and it is not a major International airport and often is not listed as a major gateway city. For International flights to Europe we pretty much have to fly to DFW, ATL, or PHL domestically and as soon as that pops up to the cruise lines the airfare jumps quite a bit. We’ve considered all sorts of variations like driving to Dallas or booking our own travel to the major gateway city but even when slightly cheaper each has its own set of drawbacks. I do know Mrs K is much opposed to flying coach to ATL or PHL to catch a business class International flight. I’ve mentioned that a couple of times and have always gotten “the look”. 😳😬
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I do know Mrs K is much opposed to flying coach to ATL or PHL to catch a business class International flight. I’ve mentioned that a couple of times and have always gotten “the look”. 😳😬
There is no going back (to coach) once you have experienced the alternative.

A true first-world problem we are having is that for 20 years we used to redeem our miles for international F flights on UA. The amount of personal space given on these planes, especially the nose of the 747, was incredible. Now that there are no more Global First cabins and seats available for booking (and no more 747 in the UA fleet), we are adjusting to the cramped J cabin.

Sorry, but comparing a premium cabin to a lower-level cabin makes me feel like a rat adjusting performance to a new,lower-level reinforcer:

https://books.google.com/books?id=bn...20seed&f=false
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:56 am

There is no going back (to coach) once you have experienced the alternative.

A true first-world problem we are having is that for 20 years we used to redeem our miles for international F flights on UA. The amount of personal space given on these planes, especially the nose of the 747, was incredible. Now that there are no more Global First cabins and seats available for booking (and no more 747 in the UA fleet), we are adjusting to the cramped J cabin.

Sorry, but comparing a premium cabin to a lower-level cabin makes me feel like a rat adjusting performance to a new,lower-level reinforcer:

https://books.google.com/books?id=bn...20seed&f=false

How true. For years we were forced by agency travel rules to fly coach and what little personal travel we did was domestic first class either leveraging frequent flyer miles or status. Unfortunately by the time we started International travel seven years ago true 3-class travel was already disappearing. Now we did catch a BA 747 first class flight to LHR early on and I thought it was a treat to be in the nose but Mrs K not so much. Funny thing was on the same trip we caught an AA 3-class 777 back from LHR and she preferred the more open feeling. Never been on a UA 747 so no way to compare the experience.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Have you explored all options with Cunard

Originally Posted by mattrag
What I found talking to the air department at Seabourn (part of Carnival Cruise which also owns Holland American) is that the person you talk to makes assumptions about what you want. A cruise line employee booking premium travel may assume that you absolutely want certain exact dates and a flight plan that has the absolute minimum number of transfers--for example, one transfer is ok but you won't consider two transfers. Have you actually asked Cunard how much extra it would be to have all flights in the front cabin? If you are flexible on travel dates or the number of flight transfers in order to be all front cabin, have you actually told Cunard this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by jonsail
What I found talking to the air department at Seabourn (part of Carnival Cruise which also owns Holland American) is that the person you talk to makes assumptions about what you want. A cruise line employee booking premium travel may assume that you absolutely want certain exact dates and a flight plan that has the absolute minimum number of transfers--for example, one transfer is ok but you won't consider two transfers. Have you actually asked Cunard how much extra it would be to have all flights in the front cabin? If you are flexible on travel dates or the number of flight transfers in order to be all front cabin, have you actually told Cunard this.
I have talked to my travel agent. She said she called both Cunard and American. Cunard said the domestic flights had to be in economy, and American said they probably could not be upgraded. I should probably try to call Cunard myself, just to make sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.