Carnival Cruise Lines: 6-year old boy who drowns in the swimming pool

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Carnival Cruise Lines: 6-year old boy who drowns in the swimming pool

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/lo...ool-on-cruise/

Unfortunately for him, and it was too late to save him. They are unable to save the little boy life. He was pronounced dead at the scene. No one who responsible for that. Boy's parent are very busy to talks with other passengers and they were unanswered him.

My condolences to his existence family and may him rest in the peace.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by N830MH
http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/lo...ool-on-cruise/

Unfortunately for him, and it was too late to save him. They are unable to save the little boy life. He was pronounced dead at the scene. No one who responsible for that. Boy's parent are very busy to talks with other passengers and they were unanswered him.

My condolences to his existence family and may him rest in the peace.
This is such a sad story. No lifeguard was present.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
This one is on the parents. Ship pools are tiny. You don't need a lifeguard to pull your kid out of the deep end, you need to be sitting there, eyes on your child, paying attention.

The saddest part is the 10 yr brother who will have to live with this burden his whole life. He's the one who has my sympathy.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
This one is on the parents. Ship pools are tiny. You don't need a lifeguard to pull your kid out of the deep end, you need to be sitting there, eyes on your child, paying attention.

The saddest part is the 10 yr brother who will have to live with this burden his whole life. He's the one who has my sympathy.
I completely agree.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

Agreed. Still, I'm not going to "blame" the parents. I wouldn't want to see grieving parents charged with negligent homicide. Sometimes bad things just happen. They will all be living it with it forever.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
Agreed. Still, I'm not going to "blame" the parents. I wouldn't want to see grieving parents charged with negligent homicide. Sometimes bad things just happen. They will all be living it with it forever.
I'm not suggesting charging the parents with anything, but I don't buy that "Sometimes bad things just happen" fits this case. That fits when your kid is running across the park, trips in a hole and breaks his ankle: it's next to impossible to foresee that a rabbit hole, hidden by thick grass, would be in the child's path. But any adult should be able to foresee that 2 kids goofing around in a pool are at risk for drowning and should watch them constantly. Several articles mention that it was the ship's DJ who noticed the child was in distress, announced it over the PA, ran across the deck and dove in to pull the child out. No article I've seen clearly states where the parents were at the time, which raises a few questions.

There are circumstances where parents should be charged with negligent homicide. There was a case a few years ago where a child died in an overheated car while the parent was shopping. The DA pressed charges and there was public outcry over the "heartless" DA going after the "poor, grieving parent" instead of people thinking about the completely preventable death.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
No lifeguard. They don't have one. However, I think they need help to watch the children while they are in the pool.

I completely agree.
I agree as well. They have watching the kids. Parents should have been supervision with the kids.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
No lifeguard. They don't have one. However, I think they need help to watch the children while they are in the pool.
Not sure if you are suggesting there should be lifeguards or not, but having taken my kids on a few cruises, it's not hard to sit there and watch them. I'm not a fan of the pools in the first place, and since we have our own, it's not really a novelty for the kids to swim there anyway. They prefer the beach at one of the islands. But part of the problem we see on cruises, especially on Carnival with a lot of kids, is the mentality some have that we are now a community charged with looking out for everyone else's kids while their parents are doing whatever.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion

Agreed. I have great sympathy for the parent,s but ultimately it's their fault. I'm sure they'll end up with a big quiet settlement from Carnival, though.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Agreed. I have great sympathy for the parent,s but ultimately it's their fault. I'm sure they'll end up with a big quiet settlement from Carnival, though.
I would not count on it. The CoC is written to protect the cruise line and the burden of proof is usually on customer.

the standard on cruise ships is "no lifeguard" Not sure how Plaintiffs get around that?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by alhcfp
I would not count on it. The CoC is written to protect the cruise line and the burden of proof is usually on customer.

the standard on cruise ships is "no lifeguard" Not sure how Plaintiffs get around that?
Agreed, from a strictly legal standpoint, but Carnival isn't going to want this story to resurface in the news so they'll quietly settle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.