FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Any good ways of accumulating points without too much spending?(besides churning) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/814850-any-good-ways-accumulating-points-without-too-much-spending-besides-churning.html)

hull22 Apr 19, 08 10:43 am

Any good ways of accumulating points without too much spending?(besides churning)

I know Costco let you make big purchases(eg plasma tvs) and can give you a refund in cash. But I hear there's probably a limit to how much you can return in a period of time.

May purchasing big ticket items on a mileage card for a discount and reselling?

Any other ideas? Trying to rack up miles for an award ticket to TPE next spring.

beachmiles Apr 20, 08 3:59 pm

Don't drop it

I think they sell diamonsd at Costco. Easier on your back.;)

mia Apr 20, 08 7:35 pm

If you have an American Express Gold or Platinum charge card you can borrow points against future spending through a program called Points Advance. The limit is 15,000 for Gold cardholders, 60,000 for Platinum, and you have 12 months to earn back the advance, otherwise they become Purchase Points billed at $25.00 per thousand.

hull22 Apr 20, 08 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 9605729)
If you have an American Express Gold or Platinum charge card you can borrow points against future spending through a program called Points Advance. The limit is 15,000 for Gold cardholders, 60,000 for Platinum, and you have 12 months to earn back the advance, otherwise they become Purchase Points billed at $25.00 per thousand.

nice, will have to look into that.

chuckd Apr 22, 08 2:53 am

Sign up for classes at whatever local universities may be around, especially if you have already been a student there and have an account. Once you have online account access, pre-pay (or pay, if you're going to take something I guess) online, but make it something reasonable. A few days later, fill out the form in the business office to get a refund check.
I have two ex-schools within a couple miles of me, so I plan to rack up this fall. I did this last summer and fall at the closer of the two, paying $12kish each semester and then getting the excess back as a check ( I only took one 4 hour class each time, and at ~$7-800/hr the excess was quite a bit). I paid a similar amount this spring, then didn't take anything at all. Employer reimbursement make it even sweeter. Potentially a hassle, but considering UA MP's double miles for school expenses (up to the first $5k), it's worth it having the miles to burn to stay out of the steerage section.

Mary2e Apr 22, 08 8:01 am

Isn't there a convenience fee for charging tuition to a credit card?

canuck_in_pa Apr 23, 08 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 9613617)

It depends on the institution. My wife's college didn't have any. We pushed all of her grad school tuition through credit cards.

chuckd Apr 26, 08 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 9613617)

Not at my schools, though they won't take AMEX (damn it).

hull22 May 1, 08 10:27 pm

anybody try paying themselves or their spouse through paypal? 2.9% + 30 cent receiving fee

beachmiles May 2, 08 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by hull22 (Post 9665153)
anybody try paying themselves or their spouse through paypal? 2.9% + 30 cent receiving fee

So does that mean 2.9 cents or more per mile? Is that a good rate? :confused: