Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any good ways of accumulating points without too much spending?(besides churning)

Any good ways of accumulating points without too much spending?(besides churning)

Old Apr 19, 08, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold

I know Costco let you make big purchases(eg plasma tvs) and can give you a refund in cash. But I hear there's probably a limit to how much you can return in a period of time.

May purchasing big ticket items on a mileage card for a discount and reselling?

Any other ideas? Trying to rack up miles for an award ticket to TPE next spring.
Old Apr 20, 08, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Don't drop it

I think they sell diamonsd at Costco. Easier on your back.
Old Apr 20, 08, 7:35 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
If you have an American Express Gold or Platinum charge card you can borrow points against future spending through a program called Points Advance. The limit is 15,000 for Gold cardholders, 60,000 for Platinum, and you have 12 months to earn back the advance, otherwise they become Purchase Points billed at $25.00 per thousand.
Old Apr 20, 08, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
If you have an American Express Gold or Platinum charge card you can borrow points against future spending through a program called Points Advance. The limit is 15,000 for Gold cardholders, 60,000 for Platinum, and you have 12 months to earn back the advance, otherwise they become Purchase Points billed at $25.00 per thousand.
nice, will have to look into that.
Old Apr 22, 08, 2:53 am

Sign up for classes at whatever local universities may be around, especially if you have already been a student there and have an account. Once you have online account access, pre-pay (or pay, if you're going to take something I guess) online, but make it something reasonable. A few days later, fill out the form in the business office to get a refund check.
I have two ex-schools within a couple miles of me, so I plan to rack up this fall. I did this last summer and fall at the closer of the two, paying $12kish each semester and then getting the excess back as a check ( I only took one 4 hour class each time, and at ~$7-800/hr the excess was quite a bit). I paid a similar amount this spring, then didn't take anything at all. Employer reimbursement make it even sweeter. Potentially a hassle, but considering UA MP's double miles for school expenses (up to the first $5k), it's worth it having the miles to burn to stay out of the steerage section.
Old Apr 22, 08, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Isn't there a convenience fee for charging tuition to a credit card?
Old Apr 23, 08, 5:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
It depends on the institution. My wife's college didn't have any. We pushed all of her grad school tuition through credit cards.
Old Apr 26, 08, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
Not at my schools, though they won't take AMEX (damn it).
Old May 1, 08, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

anybody try paying themselves or their spouse through paypal? 2.9% + 30 cent receiving fee
Old May 2, 08, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by hull22 View Post
anybody try paying themselves or their spouse through paypal? 2.9% + 30 cent receiving fee
So does that mean 2.9 cents or more per mile? Is that a good rate?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: