dispute quality (amex vs citi)

Old Jun 19, 20, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

dispute quality (amex vs citi)

I read a blogger saying neither Amex nor Chase protected him in a dispute. I have a giftcard I bought a long time ago and the company went out of business, and the only way to get the money back is via a dispute. So the Amex transaction was about a year and a half ago, and the Citi transaction about a year ago. I disputed it with Citi and they credited it to me and now ruled it as final. Amex has said it is too far back.
I don't know if it would be different if Amex's transaction were a year ago only, but I'm thinking maybe Citi is actually the best at protecting the cardholder.
Old Jun 19, 20, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - what has happened to you is not a good case for measuring dispute quality.

Under the law, i.e. Fair Credit Billing Act, both of your disputes are beyond the statutory deadline. So in theory, both disputes should be denied.

The problem is Citi's system is unique in term of small amount purchases:

Citi Disputes Automatic Under $30

In that case, Citi, instead of processing the dispute, issued you a permanent credit instead.

I would consider this lucky. Beside - I don't believe that gift card purchases are disputable anyway (unless fraudulent or the card balance does not match with the purchase).
Old Jun 19, 20, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
FWIW - what has happened to you is not a good case for measuring dispute quality.

Under the law, i.e. Fair Credit Billing Act, both of your disputes are beyond the statutory deadline. So in theory, both disputes should be denied.

The problem is Citi's system is unique in term of small amount purchases:

Citi Disputes Automatic Under $30

In that case, Citi, instead of processing the dispute, issued you a permanent credit instead.

I would consider this lucky. Beside - I don't believe that gift card purchases are disputable anyway (unless fraudulent or the card balance does not match with the purchase).
I guess it is more about qualify of service.

And citi's charge was over $30, like 4x. So that's not the case here.

Is Citi just much better than Amex or Chase? In actual protection if you have charge issues?

And actually if you look at Amex's terms of service they don't have a deadline for chargebacks, as opposed to Visa and Mastercard, ironically. That is, on the merchant's side.
Old Jun 19, 20, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Is Citi just much better than Amex or Chase? In actual protection if you have charge issues?
Still no. I still consider this lucky.

This is a case that you should not be succeeded at all. But you got your money back somehow. It is not a matter of customer service as none of them is doing this wrong.

But I would give you that it is easier to deal with Citi than AMEX due to system design.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: