Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by lamphs
Uh oh...back again. Had a change in travel plans and booked a ticket on MH (MH metal using MH website), paid with my Chase CSR. Given a choice - USD or MYR. I chose MYR. I now see my charge is $279 vs. $262 as quoted. I have a clear receipt stating $262 USD. Is this disputable?
If you chose to pay in MYR, how come you can have a receipt in USD?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93
If you chose to pay in MYR, how come you can have a receipt in USD?
Good question...for MH, however. It is a PDF that MH e-mailed to me upon issuance of the ticket.

To be clear, MH quoted $262, and then gave me the option of paying in MYR.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good question...for MH, however. It is a PDF that MH e-mailed to me upon issuance of the ticket.

That looks like multi-currency billing instead of DCC. Was the original airfare quoted in USD?

Last edited by TerryK; Feb 4, 2019 at 9:50 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
If I understood correctly, original currency was USD (i.e. departure from US or Cambodia?), but for some reason you chose to pay MYR? And Chase converted MYR back to USD, which resulted in expectedly higher amount? If that's the case, I guess there is nothing to dispute.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by barracuda93
If I understood correctly, original currency was USD (i.e. departure from US or Cambodia?), but for some reason you chose to pay MYR? And Chase converted MYR back to USD, which resulted in expectedly higher amount? If that's the case, I guess there is nothing to dispute.
I booked on MH for a domestic Malaysian flight, and I didn't remember seeing DCC when paying with a USD credit card.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....I now see my charge is $279 ....
Is this a pending transaction or the final posted amount?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Looks like eBay's still attempting DCC despite being in the process of transitioning away from PayPal:

Fortunately, unlike in the past, it was relatively easy to opt out by pulling up the currency options box under payment options:

According to xe.com €42 converts to $47.41, so eBay's conversion is a bit more than the 3% they claim. But we'll see what rate Chase uses in any case.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
According to xe.com €42 converts to $47.41, so eBay's conversion is a bit more than the 3% they claim.
Pay attention to the wording. Ebay specifies the spread, but most others specify the fee. You get the fee by dividing the spread by two.

If you specify a fee, then you can charge an additional fee by using a reference rate which already contains an unspecified fee, so the real fee can be a lot higher than the disclosed fee.

If you specify a spread, then you can't use this trick as you are referencing your own buying and selling rates rather than a reference rate.

In this case, the total fee was 3.3%, and the spread was 6.6%. If Ebay claimed to be using a spread of 3%, but used a spread of 6.6%, this sounds like false marketing.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I recently traveled to Amman, Jordan. There is a 40 JOD Visa fee that you can pay by card when arriving. Apparently they automatically use DCC, which in this case was 5.99%. That is the highest I have ever seen! And they didn't have me sign the receipt despite using a chip & signature card.

Anyway, I disputed the transaction with Navy Federal Credit Union. I have disputed with JP Morgan Chase plenty of times and they typically refund the markup within a few days. However, NFCU took about 2 weeks and refunded the entire purchase. Definitely did not expect that.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by trmbn65
Anyway, I disputed the transaction with Navy Federal Credit Union. I have disputed with JP Morgan Chase plenty of times and they typically refund the markup within a few days. However, NFCU took about 2 weeks and refunded the entire purchase. Definitely did not expect that.
Perhaps NFCU went the route of the full Reason Code 76 chargeback. When you say that you have contested charges in the past have those been specifically for entry visas into Jordan or in general?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Majuki
Perhaps NFCU went the route of the full Reason Code 76 chargeback. When you say that you have contested charges in the past have those been specifically for entry visas into Jordan or in general?
I meant in general. Most frequently food purchases in Ireland.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Just done with my stay in Sao Paulo and all I can say is that Amex had a 100% acceptance rate and just a general recommendation: if you want a piece of mind and no DCC troubles, give up your Visa/MC, at least here.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by greglvnv
Just done with my stay in Sao Paulo and all I can say is that Amex had a 100% acceptance rate and just a general recommendation: if you want a piece of mind and no DCC troubles, give up your Visa/MC, at least here.
Makes sense for Brazil. But it seems like much of the world doesn't take AmEx. I know in Ireland it was basically limited to vendors at the airport, hotels, and steak houses.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by trmbn65
Makes sense for Brazil. But it seems like much of the world doesn't take AmEx. I know in Ireland it was basically limited to vendors at the airport, hotels, and steak houses.
I agree. Irish merchants even DCC Euro denominated accounts based in other EU countries. In my case, it was a UK debit card linked to a Euro account.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by greglvnv
I agree. Irish merchants even DCC Euro denominated accounts based in other EU countries. In my case, it was a UK debit card linked to a Euro account.
Really? I never saw that happen. Most of the DCC'ing in Ireland was British accounts given how close they are and they share an island with Northern Ireland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.