Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
What is her total credit limit with Barclays . IIRC I have had a total of about 38K across all cards , so my longer credit history might be the difference .
FWIW I have a friend who has 4 Brclys open at the time .

Some how or other , I think brclys rates their customers. ITs almost like class distinction. 6 years ago they hated me , now I can practically do no harm
Are your friends 4 all aviators?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by lw7878
The only card I have with Barclay is the converted Red card which I lowered its CL to $1500. I usually lower CL soon after I am done with the min spending.

I have seen two comments with totally different results on two blogs: (1) I was auto-denied by the system for having the old card. I’m thinking it’s a new policy by the system? The agent told me it didn’t even pull my credit. She processed the application herself and I was approved. (2) I just applied for the new 60k Aviator offer, and was instantly rejected. I called the reconsideration line, and an agent quickly explained to me that it was because I currently have an open Aviator card. Reconsideration was not possible, according to her, and she clearly stated that it didn’t matter whether my existing Aviator card had been converted from another card or not.

A friend of mine has almost identical card history as mine. She told me her application went PENDING for a few days. She called the recon line and got approved. No questions asked.

What worries me is that my application went from pending to denied very quickly. It appeared to be an auto-denied. I recall Barclay was tough when calling their recon line for rejected application. Is this still the case? What can I arm myself for the discussion?
Data point. The application cannot be approved due to having an active Aviator card.

I called the customer services and asked to be transferred to the reconsideration department or whatever they call it. The rep checked the status and told me "You already have an active Aviator account with us so you cannot get another one." She was nice but sounds like there is not much she could do.

I asked if I closed the current one, could I call back to re-open the application? She just said you could try but we would have to check your credit score to reconsider. Sound likes they didn't pull a credit report for my application. No email from creditkarma nor creditsesame re: a hard pull so far either.

Now, I am debating if I should close the current Red card (which has 10k anniversary bonus after paying the AF) and hope Barclay would approve my application. Kinda risky, isn't it?

Any thoughts?

Edited: I did tell her that my card was converted from the US Airways card, which was opened years ago. Apparently it didn't matter.

Last edited by lw7878; Sep 13, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lw7878
Data point. The application cannot be approved due to having an active Aviator card.

I called the customer services and asked to be transferred to the reconsideration department or whatever they call it. The rep checked the status and told me "You already have an active Aviator account with us so you cannot get another one." She was nice but sounds like there is not much she could do.

I asked if I closed the current one, could I call back to re-open the application? She just said you could try but we would have to check your credit score to reconsider. Sound likes they didn't pull a credit report for my application. No email from creditkarma nor creditsesame re: a hard pull so far either.

Now, I am debating if I should close the current Red card (which has 10k anniversary bonus after paying the AF) and hope Barclay would approve my application. Kinda risky, isn't it?

Any thoughts?
Yes, it does sound risky. What if Barclay in the near future puts a lifetime limit (a la Amex) on the card? Then even if you're approved, in 6 years you'll be at a wash (no 10k anniversary bonus any more on the new card), and in 7 you'l be net negative.

And there's no guarantee that they'll give you the signup bonus (any time soon, anyway) if you do cancel the current card and re-open the application. In the US Airways days, they would deny some people not only if they currently had the card, but even if they'd closed it "too recently" (measured in months). So who knows, if the policy recently changed, what exactly the new policy is? The agents might not know until you apply and the system shows the denial reason on their screen.

You might want to wait to see if the business Aviator card materializes later this year as AA implies (though no news from Barclay about it so far). If so, they would presumably allow you to apply for a business Aviator card while still having a personal one open. Then you could keep your 10k anniversary bonus and get a new signup bonus too.
lw7878 likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 13, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:04 pm

Data point:

I have an Aviator Red that was a converted USAir card with the 10K annual bonus.
I applied for the 60K offer about 10 days ago.
I received a message saying my application was being reviewed.
I received a denial letter with the following text:
"Our records show that you've already established the maximum allowable number of this product with us...." and "A credit bureau report was not used in making this determination."

As far as others in my situation who were instantly approved, either the manual review led to my denial or Barclays has changed their approval system recently.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfrog
Data point:

I have an Aviator Red that was a converted USAir card with the 10K annual bonus.
I applied for the 60K offer about 10 days ago.
I received a message saying my application was being reviewed.
I received a denial letter with the following text:
"Our records show that you've already established the maximum allowable number of this product with us...." and "A credit bureau report was not used in making this determination."

As far as others in my situation who were instantly approved, either the manual review led to my denial or Barclays has changed their approval system recently.
Looks like you and I received the same outcome. It will be interested to see any new data points with approvals.

As mentioned above, my friend applied around 9/4 and was approved on 9/11 after calling. When I applied on 9/12, it didn't take more than 2 seconds to show 'we need to review... and will let you know'. There definitely was a system check. Then the online status showed the denial within one hour. It is quite possible there is a system-wide "improvement". At least there was no hard pull.

2nd data point: Just applied for my spouse, got turned down too. It took about 4 seconds to finish the approval process and the application status online showed the same rejection immediately.

Last edited by lw7878; Sep 14, 2017 at 5:26 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:50 am

Wife applied for her 2nd recent one after getting the first non-converted in Feb. Cancelled two weeks prior to the application. Denied. Not finding any evidence of a credit pull for the application.

As other DPs noted, this could mark a shift in their processing of these apps. I have at least one, if not two, other friends/family whole will likely be applying in the next two weeks and will post back when I hear from them.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:32 pm

Data Point: 06/21/17 applied for 1st ever Barclay credit card, 1st Aviator Red approved $20k CL after 5 days of checking app status site. Paid AF, made 1 transaction, received 50k bonus.

With 1st Aviator still active, applied 9/15/17 with same info (email, mother's maiden, income, employed professional, etc.) Could someone test a DP with same name/SSN but different email/ mother's maiden security Q? Always fun to test the system...

Result was 10 day pending message. Immediately checked app status site to see June approval still on file. Perhaps closing card first may have helped? Instant denial for 2nd app.

"Currently we are unable to offer you a credit card issued by Barclays Bank Delaware. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you."

Will update with reason for denial. Hoping this immediate denial means no HP!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:52 pm

Currently have Aviator Red from Dec 2016 with $14k limit and Arrival with $25k. Should I lower credit limits when I change Red to Silver and prepare for new Red application or keep credit and offer to transfer? Was denied Barclay Hawaiin Biz two weeks after Aviator red was approved. Arrival Plus approved in March 2017. TU score 798, 8 inquiries with 5 of them being Barclay. Spend is occasional but did $2500+ on Red last month in response to 3 bonus miles for each $1 spent.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Currently have Aviator Red from Dec 2016 with $14k limit and Arrival with $25k. Should I lower credit limits when I change Red to Silver and prepare for new Red application or keep credit and offer to transfer? Was denied Barclay Hawaiin Biz two weeks after Aviator red was approved. Arrival Plus approved in March 2017. TU score 798, 8 inquiries with 5 of them being Barclay. Spend is occasional but did $2500+ on Red last month in response to 3 bonus miles for each $1 spent.
Please read the last few pages of this thread. There you'll discover that suddenly everyone seems to be getting denied for a new Aviator card if they have one open.

Your plans sounds like you are unaware of that?

(I just updated the Wiki to highlight that fact.)
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please read the last few pages of this thread. There you'll discover that suddenly everyone seems to be getting denied for a new Aviator card if they have one open.

Your plans sounds like you are unaware of that?

(I just updated the Wiki to highlight that fact.)
Post 514 indicated success from August application. Data points after that seemed unclear as to reason of denial with some of them still holding red cards. Confusion abounds
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Actually, there are denials for people who cancel their first new AA Aviator and then try for a 2nd (see post 531). Technically, this is how it is supposed to work (can't get the bonus within 2 years of having closed one and can't have one open). Maybe the first few lucked out since they could have been the first ones and caught Barclays off guard. We'll have to see how it plays out.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I hadn't visited this thread since I was approved for the new card on Sept 5 while still having an open converted US Airways card. Looks like I got in just in time.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84
there are denials for people who cancel their first new AA Aviator and then try for a 2nd (see post 531)....We'll have to see how it plays out.
As always, YMMV.

I applied for my first card in January, closed it 12 days ago, then applied for and was approved for a new card two days ago. Hopefully the bonus miles will post after I use the card; will have to wait and see.
rover4618 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:14 pm

Wife's denial letter came in, she established the maximum allowable number of this product. Wish I'd had her cancel and apply when I did - sounds like she missed the boat by a month.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
A data point for you to consider.. Originally applied for and got approved for the US Airways card back in March or April 2015, a week or so before Barclaycard shut down new approvals. Cancelled that before the next annual fee was due. Then applied for the AAdvantage Aviator Red when public applications were available. got the bonus for that (can't remember if it was 40k or 50k miles). I still have this card.

I applied for a new account for the 60k miles about 40 minutes ago and got the dreaded "we'll let you know" message. I immediately went to application status and it said denied. Called backdoor number. After a bit of back and forth, the lady said that since the card I currently have is the Aviator Red and the one I applied for is the AAdvantage Aviator Red (or close to that effect), she'll submit my application again that'll result in a hard pull. After a minute or so, she came back on the line and said I was approved.

I'm assuming that since the backdoor lady said that the card I have and the one I applied for are technically different by way of different product wording, I'll be getting the 60k bonus.

****UPDATE****

Logging into my account, going to rewards & benefits, then clicking earning aadvantage miles, it shows that I am able to earn the 60k bonus miles after first purchase and pay the annual fee. I'm surprised that the new account is showing online an hour after approval.
rover4618 likes this.

Last edited by xjaehyun; Sep 17, 2017 at 10:50 pm Reason: updates on bonus miles status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.