Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
My wife currently has an AA personal card from Barclays but when she logged in a few minutes ago got a pop up inviting her to apply for one. Is this a sign she could get another one while having one open?
There is a difference between targeted offers and pre-approved offers. I get targeted offers all the time that I don't qualify for, due to 5/24, 24 months, etc. Sometimes even for a card I already have open, even though it's a card with T/C that you can only have one at a time. The computer randomly sends these out without bothering to check if you actually qualify.

Pre-approved offers are different, if you get one you are sure to be issued a card and it's stated bonus. But those are quite rare, and clearly state "pre-approved" I'm guessing yr wife got the former, not the latter, so it's a no go.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The.walker
Hey guys. Does defaulting on AA AAdvantage (Aviator) by Barclays card result in loss of miles accrued?
In general, miles that have already been transferred to AA are safe, but miles that have not yet been transferred to AA are lost if (for example) a card is closed. (But I don't know if we have any datapoints specific to defaulting on a card.)

You have other possible worries with defaulting, such as not being able to get cards in the future, other banks seeing that on your credit report and closing card accounts at those other banks, etc.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
In general, miles that have already been transferred to AA are safe, but miles that have not yet been transferred to AA are lost if (for example) a card is closed. (But I don't know if we have any datapoints specific to defaulting on a card.)

You have other possible worries with defaulting, such as not being able to get cards in the future, other banks seeing that on your credit report and closing card accounts at those other banks, etc.

I concur. I'm still reeling from the effects of EQ in 2015. My business in the US collapsed and is operating in severe loss. I just wanted to make sure that my airline miles didn't disappear/got taken away once the accounts were closed.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:25 pm

Another hit to this card...qualifying dollars to be restricted next year

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...m=BoardingArea
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:35 pm

Datapoint

1) First ever Barclaycard opened: Feb 2017, auto approved Aviator Red

Upgraded to Silver May 2017
Closed Feb 2018, right before the annual fee hit (not waived, didn’t care to keep)

2) Read about waiting 35 days after close, which is what I did. I can’t remember exactly how many days, but it was more than 35 but less than 45.

2a) Applied for Aviator Red #2 mid-April 2018, and was auto approved

Upgraded Aviator #2 to Silver August 2018.

3) Applied for Aviator Red #3 within these last 3 days, October 2018. Auto approved. Messaged to confirm 60k bonus. Was confirmed. Got this less than 20 days (15-19) after closing #2..
jtav559 likes this.

Last edited by Flyingtheglobe; Jan 30, 2020 at 3:21 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Flyingtheglobe
Hi all,

First post, though I’ve been lurking for over a couple of years. I try to stay off of social media, and plan to keep it that way. This site has helped me tremendously, so I registered because I wanted to share a data point that’s different from all that I’ve read. I will not post again and will delete this account soon, so copy and paste if need be.

Closed Feb 2018, right before the annual fee hit (not waived, didn’t care to keep)

2) Read about waiting 35 days after close, which is what I did. I can’t remember exactly how many days, but it was more than 35 but less than 45.

2b) Literally the next day, I applied for Aviator Red Business card. The application went to pending, so I called and explained my business (doesn’t matter). I was approved.

***Closed BUSINESS card via secure message September 2018.

****Closed Aviator Silver #2 first week of this month, October 2018. Won’t list exact date.

3) Applied for Aviator Red #3 within these last 3 days, October 2018. Auto approved. Messaged to confirm 60k bonus. Was confirmed. Got this less than 20 days (15-19) after closing #2.

If it matters, I have great credit (750+) and have not missed any kind of credit report payment in over 7 years. I’ve applied for ~10 cards, across all brands, the last 18 months. Have been approved for all.

Hope that this helps. Thanks to everyone.
First off, thanks!
Second - Why close and delete your account? Nobody knows who you are, share what you want and don't share what you don't want to.

Was the upgrade to Silver for the EQDs/EQMs?

Also, just because this went through without a hitch doesn't mean that it will stay that way going forward. Plus, should anyone from Barclays be reading this, I don't think it would be hard for them to figure out who you are...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I was auto-approved for red aviator card Jan 2017, I canceled card Jan 2018.

I just submitted application for card and they said it's under review. Idk if I should bother calling recon or what. my hunch is telling me i'll get denied.

my credit score is >750

edit:

i just checked the application status and it said " Currently we are unable to offer you a credit card issued by Barclays Bank Delaware. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you. "

Last edited by atcanobbio; Oct 25, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
First off, thanks!
Second - Why close and delete your account? Nobody knows who you are, share what you want and don't share what you don't want to.

Was the upgrade to Silver for the EQDs/EQMs?

Also, just because this went through without a hitch doesn't mean that it will stay that way going forward. Plus, should anyone from Barclays be reading this, I don't think it would be hard for them to figure out who you are...

The upgrades were for Global Entry. I do travel for leisure, so the global entry + TSA pre has helped.

Last edited by Flyingtheglobe; Jan 30, 2020 at 3:18 am
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:02 pm

I understand that I could be found.. I just hate social media. It’s toxic. I also understand that it might not work again, and I won’t be upset if it does. I posted because I hadn’t read of it being approved in so few days after closing the previous. Both of my previously closed cards were Silvers, so, maybe, that’s why I was approved?

The upgrades were for Global Entry - needed to get my annual fee back. I spent less than $6,000 on each card. I have no status - and don’t care for status. I’ve churned so many AA cards the last 30 months that I should be arrested. I do travel for leisure, so the global entry + TSA pre has helped. I will try a 4th next spring, upgrading and closing as such, just like the first two.
Your gravy train may be over . Barclays is not going to upgrade due to elite miles loopholes

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-eqd-loophole/
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:36 pm

Annual Fee Posting

My first statement closed and the annual fee did not post yet. I sent an SM asking when it would post and got a generic message about all of the cards benefits. Anyone else have this issue? When did your AF post?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Hi all,

First post, though I’ve been lurking for over a couple of years. I try to stay off of social media, and plan to keep it that way. This site has helped me tremendously, so I registered because I wanted to share a data point that’s different from all that I’ve read. I will not post again and will delete this account soon, so copy and paste if need be.

2b) Literally the next day, I applied for Aviator Red Business card. The application went to pending, so I called and explained my business (doesn’t matter). I was approved.

***Closed BUSINESS card via secure message September 2018.

****Closed Aviator Silver #2 first week of this month, October 2018. Won’t list exact date.

3) Applied for Aviator Red #3 within these last 3 days, October 2018. Auto approved. Messaged to confirm 60k bonus. Was confirmed. Got this less than 20 days (15-19) after closing #2.

If it matters, I have great credit (750+) and have not missed any kind of credit report payment in over 7 years. I’ve applied for ~10 cards, across all brands, the last 18 months. Have been approved for all.

Hope that this helps. Thanks to everyone.
Thank you so much for that. I'd seen indications that they might have recently switched to a "one and done" on the personal Red card, and asked for DPs to disprove that. I'm pretty sure yours is the first I've seen.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[Confirmed] Barclays To Improve Aviator Benefits (DoC)

"we will communicate new product enhancements in early 2019, designed to bring you even more value from your card"
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Airv
My first statement closed and the annual fee did not post yet. I sent an SM asking when it would post and got a generic message about all of the cards benefits. Anyone else have this issue? When did your AF post?
My AF posted on my 2nd statement and the miles posted on my 3rd statement.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:10 pm

Hey guys.
I read thru, but dont see a definitive DP.
Both wife and I got 60k... just enough to finish booking some tickets. This left my wife with only 3k miles (i still have 100k). Annual fees posted 29 days ago. She just called to cancel her card, and get a refund of the 95. No mention of bonus clawback.
I am hesitant to do the same, being that i still have plenty of miles in my account.

Does anyone know, if i can cancel, get back my 95, and my 60k miles will be safe as they are posted? Or is the bonus subject to any type of clawback restriction that I can not find. Thanks for you time!!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2grady
Hey guys.
I read thru, but dont see a definitive DP.
Both wife and I got 60k... just enough to finish booking some tickets. This left my wife with only 3k miles (i still have 100k). Annual fees posted 29 days ago. She just called to cancel her card, and get a refund of the 95. No mention of bonus clawback.
I am hesitant to do the same, being that i still have plenty of miles in my account.

Does anyone know, if i can cancel, get back my 95, and my 60k miles will be safe as they are posted? Or is the bonus subject to any type of clawback restriction that I can not find. Thanks for you time!!
That's not necessarily the right question. The right question is: You both never want to apply for any Barclay card again in your life, right?

You're missing the fact that rather clawing back (which may be difficult, from a partner airline), you could be getting "blacklisted" by Barclay (which is easy, because it's internal to the bank).
vm81 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.