Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Non US citizen with SSN number EuroBonus Gold, what credit cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non US citizen with SSN number EuroBonus Gold, what credit cards?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Smile Non US citizen with SSN number EuroBonus Gold, what credit cards?

Hi!

I just moved to the US and I have been working on campus so I have a SSN number, I hold a EuroBonus Gold flight status
but would like to take advantage of all these credit card opportunities, does anyone here know if it is possible to get free miles credit cards without a credit score?

Thanks so much
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Here is a relevant discussion from 2015:

Question about CC strategy as new foreign university student?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:53 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Step 1: Get some credit card. Most banks will offer secured cards if you have a US SSN and a US State ID (or drivers' license). Try to get one without an annual fee, even if it is a secured card. I know that Wells Fargo offers cards like this - go to a bank branch in person near campus to apply.

Step 2: Wait 11-12 months, make every payment in full and on time. If your credit limit is small, pay it every week instead of every month - this enables you to put more spend on the card while keeping your utilization % low (below 20% is ideal).

Step 3: After step 2, go to a bank branch in-person and apply for a non-secured card. Most of these cards would have a small bonus (worth around $150) for signing up. Keep the first card open (ideally no annual fee). If the first card is secured, ask if it can be made un-secured.

Step 4: Wait 11-12 months, make every payment in full and on time.

Step 5: You should now be pre-qualified for most high-end cards with huge bonuses, and you can apply online.

You are 20-24 months away from an Amex Platinum or Chase Sapphire Reserve, and about 11-12 months away from a Chase Freedom Unlimited.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Years ago two other methods worked:
- become an authorized user (the cards credit history would show on your report)
- Amex transferred my german credit history to the US
Not sure if these methods still work
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by flyergirl221
but would like to take advantage of all these credit card opportunities, does anyone here know if it is possible to get free miles credit cards without a credit score?
First, you have a credit score. Once a credit profile has been established, a score can be generated from the profile. However, your score is simply not high enough for one, yet.

Second, IMHO - travel card is usually secondary to those lack credit history. In this case, you have some long way to go (Getting a SSN is only a fraction of the long way).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

There is so much around how to establish credit
https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-c...r-credit-card/

You will need to read for yourself a little to cover the basics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.