Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Study Abroad- London Spring 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

I'm planning on studying abroad in London in Spring of 2016. While studying abroad, I'd also like to travel to various places in Europe.

I'd like to minimize costs by getting:
1. Free Flights to and from London <-> NYC (2)
2. Versatile points to use on flights from London <-> Other parts of Europe
3. I can seek out affordable accommodations while going to other parts of Europe but a good hotel program/card in Europe wouldn't hurt.
4. Favorable FX Rates (Mastercard vs. Visa) does it matter? I heard CSP rips you off

My plan so far has been:

1. Put all of my current spending on my Chase Freedom
2. Get CSP and transfer points to that program.

My Credit Scores:
1. Discover it FICO: 716
2. Barclays FICO: 709
3. CapitalOne TransUnion: 745

My scores are low because of excessive pulls and short history. Should get better though.

My current cards are:

Discover it 800 CL
Citi Dividend 1000 CL
Chase Freedom 1200 CL
Capital One Journey 3300 CL
Amex Everyday 1000 CL
Sallie Mae Mastercard 3000 CL
Capital One Sony Card 750 CL

What are some cards/programs that I should apply for to reduce costs for my study abroad?

The only one on the list at this moment is the Chase Sapphire Preferred

Thanks in advance!
Old May 6, 2015, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You have a lot of cards for a student IMO. It will be a hassle to keep track of all these cards and pay them on time when you're in London.

For a semester abroad, why two RTs? You should plan to stay in London for the entire term, using vacation periods to explore England and perhaps Europe.

It's unrealistic to expect to get two free TATL RTs plus a bunch of free flights within Europe plus hotel stays.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You have a lot of cards for a student IMO. It will be a hassle to keep track of all these cards and pay them on time when you're in London.

For a semester abroad, why two RTs? You should plan to stay in London for the entire term, using vacation periods to explore England and perhaps Europe.

It's unrealistic to expect to get two free TATL RTs plus a bunch of free flights within Europe plus hotel stays.
Month to month, I make sure that only one/two cards carry a balance. Mint helps a lot too and it's not that big of a problem.

and i meant only 1 RT, 2 flights, sorry about that

The hotel thing isn't really an expectation as much as it is just nice to have.

Which cards should i sign up for to maximize the amount of free flights that I can get around Europe? (Maybe England <-> Prague)

The only card i have planned right now is CSP which will give me 40,000 points + ~25,000 points transferred from my freedom. Hopefully that's enough for the 1 RT?
Old May 6, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Just go Eurail. Lots cheaper and fun as a student
Old May 6, 2015, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by AspiringEnthusiast
Month to month, I make sure that only one/two cards carry a balance. Mint helps a lot too and it's not that big of a problem.

and i meant only 1 RT, 2 flights, sorry about that

The hotel thing isn't really an expectation as much as it is just nice to have.

Which cards should i sign up for to maximize the amount of free flights that I can get around Europe? (Maybe England &lt;-&gt; Prague)

The only card i have planned right now is CSP which will give me 40,000 points + ~25,000 points transferred from my freedom. Hopefully that's enough for the 1 RT?
Avios miles could be used, but honestly your best inter- Europe bet would be to go the easy jet/ Ryan Air/ other budget European airlines route as specials popup or rail as noted above.

When concerned about money when flying in/out of London do your research on transport options to & from the airports & when they run as that has to be factored into the cost (underground only runs to heathrow & not 24hrs for example).
Old May 7, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic

don't use points for hotels. hostels are way more fun and a great way to meet other young people #nawwhatimean. I wish I was young enough to stay at hostels again. there are some really nice hostels throughout europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.