Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Discover it Miles Credit Card Launched, 3x Miles On All Purchases 1st Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Discover it Miles
current offer as of 9/1/17:
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/miles/index.html

• 1.5x miles on all purchases
  • Double miles for the first year (3x miles on all purchases)
  • An annual credit up to $30 for in-flight Wi-Fi charges (ended 3/31/19)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • No annual fee
  • Free FICO Score
  • 0% purchase APR for first twelve months

There are two ways to redeem miles:
  • Cash back via a deposit into your linked bank account
  • A statement credit against a travel purchase made in the past 180 days

Print Wikipost

Discover it Miles Credit Card Launched, 3x Miles On All Purchases 1st Year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:42 pm

Wow, Discover is so backwards. You cannot add your "new" credit card to your online account?

And their security is messed up as well. Asking for a verification code. I had just logged in without an issue, and now they ask for it?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by JudyS
Does anyone know if Discover still offers double Cashback ("Cashback Match") on new credit cards for the first 12 months? This program is mentioned on the Discover site, but the webpage that mentions it was written on July 28, 2016 and does not seem to have been updated since. I have not seen anything to tell me whether this promotion is still ongoing and/or whether Discover has announced an end date for it.
You mean miles match? Yes, when I got it I confirmed it with the rep.

And I got an email with the info:

FAQs

1. What is Discover Match®?
When you are enrolled in our exclusive Discover Match program, we'll automatically match all the Miles you've earned after one year in the program. If you've earned 15,000 Miles, we'll give you another 15,000 Miles. Even if you redeem some of your Miles, we'll still match all the Miles you've earned at the end of the program year.

2. How much will you Match?
We'll match all the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year. If you've earned 11,000 Miles your first year, we'll give you another 11,000 Miles. Or if you've earned 25,000, we'll give you another 25,000. Since we match all your Miles, how much you earn is up to you.

3. When do I get my Match?
We will match all the Miles you've earned after your first 12 billing periods in our exclusive Discover Match program. Then you'll see your Discover Match in your account within the following one or two billing periods.

Last edited by s0ssos; Sep 13, 2016 at 3:49 pm
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:36 pm

Airfare reimbursment

Just saw that Discover automatically credited the balance of my inflight wifi reimbursement to a United airfare purchased off the United website

The ticket was less than $50 and coded as Travel/Entertainment. I'm guessing "entertainment" triggered it? I don't think I've ever actually made an airfare purchase with this card as I have better cards for airfare bonus. A nice little surprise as I don't typically find the need for internet on short shuttles.

Maybe they figure people like me will not pay attention and then try to buy the balance of their reimbursement at the end of the year in gogo passes thinking they still have money left but instead charging more than they need to?

Anyone have similar experience?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:10 pm

"How much will you match?

We'll match ALL the Miles you've earned at the end of your 12 months in Discover Match. So for example, if you've earned 20,000 Miles your first year, we’ll give you another 20,000 Miles. There's no limit to how much we’ll match, so how much you earn is up to you.

When do I get my Match?

After the first 12 consecutive billing periods that your enrolled in Discover Match, we'll match ALL the Miles you've earned and apply it to your account within the following one or two billing periods.

What happens if I redeem Miles before receiving my Discover Match award?

You can redeem Miles as soon as you’ve earned them. We'll still match ALL the Miles you've earned during your 12 months in Discover Match. For example, say you earned 15,000 Miles and redeemed all of them. We'll still give you another 15,000 Miles when we match your rewards."

This is some BS. Got the above when I logged into my account. The two answers are not consistent. My first statement was only from Nov 18th - Dec 2nd. Looks like I'll be shortchanged about 16 days if they only count the first 12 consecutive statements.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:08 am

i just completed my 1 st year with this card. i have under utilized it due to the lower credit limit.

Can i have the 2nd card with double miles offer ?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Coldagglutanin
Just saw that Discover automatically credited the balance of my inflight wifi reimbursement to a United airfare purchased off the United website

The ticket was less than $50 and coded as Travel/Entertainment. I'm guessing "entertainment" triggered it? I don't think I've ever actually made an airfare purchase with this card as I have better cards for airfare bonus. A nice little surprise as I don't typically find the need for internet on short shuttles.

Maybe they figure people like me will not pay attention and then try to buy the balance of their reimbursement at the end of the year in gogo passes thinking they still have money left but instead charging more than they need to?

Anyone have similar experience?
I recently recd a $10 credit for in-flight drinks purchased on SWA.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA
Two items: I received my first year double bonus. I applied for a new card. They tell me I will receive a double bonus, but the fine print says one per person. Any luck getting the second bonus?

My credit line on the new card is at 5k. I wanted to switch my 25k (old card) line to my new card. They said that it cannot be done. Is that true? I believe I heard others have switched lines in the past.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA
Discover IT miles

They are Discover IT miles cards.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:42 am

Discover will not move credit lines around. You are stuck at 5K for a few months until you can request a credit increase.

As for the second bonus, I think you will be ok. I got the bonus year on my It card, and then applied and got it on a miles card, so I technically got the double bonus promo twice. Your situation is a little differnt, but I think you are ok.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
I have more than 100K discover it miles now... What is the best way to use it?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:37 am

Cash Back to you bank account. There is no bonus for spending them any other way on the Miles Card.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm

Anyone get the reimbursement for a delta checked bag? If so, did you purchase online ahead of time, or wait until the counter?

I have a ski trip coming up shortly and need to get a checked bag, so it'd be nice if it was free!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Chase UR, Skymiles, HHonors, SPG
Got denied for the Discover It Miles Card.

Have held the It Card for more than a year with a $6500 CL.

Have FICO scores 805TU and 823EQ.

Called reconsideration but was told they don't do it. Considered HUCA but everything I've read online so far says that if you get denied by Discover, you're SOL.

Anyone have a success story getting reconsidered that I can model/follow?

I've been successfully reconsidered by Amex, Chase and BoA before so don't have any troubles handling the convo. Just never been told "we don't do that" before.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by daw4888
Discover will not move credit lines around. You are stuck at 5K for a few months until you can request a credit increase.

As for the second bonus, I think you will be ok. I got the bonus year on my It card, and then applied and got it on a miles card, so I technically got the double bonus promo twice. Your situation is a little differnt, but I think you are ok.
They did move my credit line around for me. Had Discover "More" card. Applied for Discover IT card, had to call in and they asked if I wanted to either close the More card and move all the credit line over, or keep it open and move partial credit line over.

I stupidly moved partial over (should've just closed it and moved it all over), as it made figuring out what was due when a little hairy there before they revamped their website and let you use one userid for all accounts.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:32 pm

Business expenses

anyone use this card for business expenses without getting shut down? Would 80k a month cause a shut down?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.