FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   What does ARS & IDA mean? is it good if freeze ARS & IDA before apply credit card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1494869-what-does-ars-ida-mean-good-if-freeze-ars-ida-before-apply-credit-card.html)

stupidzbu Oct 5, 2013 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas (Post 21560750)
My guess based on reading every post in the Carlson thread would be no. But every once in a while someone reports that they have lots of apps and still get approved. The number one thing US BANK denies for is "too many new accounts or too many Inqs" in the last year.

I got instant approval for the club carlson card and here is my list

Jan 2012 - Amex HH
Feb 2012 - BofA & BofH HA
May 2012 - Chase UA Club, Citi HH
July 2012 - Chase BA
Sept 2012 - CIti HH x2, AMex Surpass

Jan 2013 - Amex SPG, Citi AA x2, Barclay USAir
Feb 2013 - Chase UA Exp, AMex PRG
April 2013 - Chase CSP
May 2013 - Citi Reserve
June 2013 - Chase UA Exp BIZ
July 2013 - Citi AA x 2 (yep, 4 AA cards in 1 year)
Aug 2013 - Amex SPG BIZ
Sept 2013 - Club Carlson

So.. as you can see, it is possible since I haven't really followed any logic or done AORs that well and still get approved for almost everything I apply for

moretimeoffguy Jan 5, 2014 7:45 am

Originally Posted by ddallas (Post 21560750)
My guess based on reading every post in the Carlson thread would be no. But every once in a while someone reports that they have lots of apps and still get approved. The number one thing US BANK denies for is "too many new accounts or too many Inqs" in the last year.

Any idea how many inquiries in 12 months is too many for US Bank approval? And is 12 months typically the window "looked at" by most banks for this purpose?

reft Jan 5, 2014 8:42 am

Anyone noticed that ID:Analytics seems to be a wholly owned subsidiary of LifeLock?

From http://www.idanalytics.com/company/ "ID Analytics, Inc., a leader in enterprise identity risk management — with advanced science — that provides unprecedented visibility into identity risk and credit worthiness, is a wholly owned subsidiary of LifeLock, Inc."

sdsearch Jan 5, 2014 9:06 am

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy (Post 22087661)
Any idea how many inquiries in 12 months is too many for US Bank approval? And is 12 months typically the window "looked at" by most banks for this purpose?

It varies from bank to bank. The only one I'm familiar with in exact numbers is that Citi counts the last 6 months, and typically wants no more then 6 inquiries (on which bureau[s] it pulls) during that time (ie, it tends to reject you if there are 7).

TOMFORD Jan 5, 2014 9:19 am

Does freezing these two want-to-be-bureaus help with applying for non-US Bank cards?

moretimeoffguy Jan 5, 2014 9:26 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 22088117)
It varies from bank to bank. The only one I'm familiar with in exact numbers is that Citi counts the last 6 months, and typically wants no more then 6 inquiries (on which bureau[s] it pulls) during that time (ie, it tends to reject you if there are 7).

Thanks very much sdsearch for the Citi data point.

MDtR-Chicago Jan 5, 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by agp423 (Post 22088188)
Does freezing these two want-to-be-bureaus help with applying for non-US Bank cards?

None of the other banks that are popular on FT seem to use them at all. Beyond FT, either myfico or creditboards would be the place to check, if you're applying with an obscure issuer.

iahphx Mar 13, 2014 8:40 am

A year ago, I got the Club Carlson personal Visa card. A couple of months later, US Bank solicited me for a business card (not the Club Carlson one). I figured "hey, if they want me to have a biz card, too, let me apply for the Club Carlson one." I did, and they then rejected me for having too many applications!

I haven't thought about it too much since then. I don't really NEED the Club Carlson biz card, but it would be nice to have for the sizeable sign-up bonus -- and the renewal bonus (along with the renewal bonus for my personal card) would provide a steady stream of annual cheap hotel nights (so long as the program rules don't dramatically change).

Considering I was rejected before -- and my overall credit card churning habits haven't changed -- I'm wondering if I should freeze ARS and IDA and apply again for the Carlson biz card. I'm not too familiar with freezing credit card reports: is there ANY downside to doing this?