FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Which card(s) to use for high spend or large purchases? [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1475167-card-s-use-high-spend-large-purchases-consolidated.html)

joelmeu Apr 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Both of the Starwood Preferred Guest cards (personal and business) have $5,000 initial spending requirements to get to the full 25K Starpoint bonus.

The Business Gold Rewards card from American Express also has a $5,000 initial spending requirement to get 25K points.

The Business Platinum card from AmEx has a $5,000 initial spend requirement for 40K points. The regular personal Platinum card from AmEx has a $3,000 initial spend requirement for 40K points. ($450 Annual Fee on both cards BTW.)

The Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard 2x card has recently increased it's initial spend requirement from $1,000 to $3,000 to get 40K points.

angrypenguin Apr 16, 2014 8:35 pm

First, congratulations!

Why not two of the Citi Exec AA? Split it over the two cards, you'll meet the min spend on one and halfway on the other. Once you're done with the second, you have 220k miles for your honeymoon.

mcanders Apr 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Congrats as well!

I looked into this recently and purchased an engagement ring with the Citi AA Exec due to the higher bonus offer. Some jewelers I went to offered a "cash price" but honestly, I'd rather have 115k AA miles than a $300-400 discount.

flyer4512 Apr 16, 2014 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by hoosierg35 (Post 22715974)
I'll be buying an engagement ring within the next few weeks (~$15k), so I thought I would put that purchase to some good use with minimum spends.

What are my best options? Citi AA Executive Personal Mastercard looks pretty attractive. Are there any other large minimum spend/large sign up bonuses that I should be aware of? Thanks!

Not sure where you are from but forget the CC and go to the Diamond District in NYC. I paid $7500 for a ring in 2002 that is appraised at $24,500 today. Gold and diamond prices are higher now but it appraised for $12K the day after I bought it via an independent appraisal.

You will get the best deal around and they will knock off more than any 15K spend is going to give you for paying cash.

There are multiple stores within a block all competing for your business

Whatever you do avoid a mall or ay chain jewelry store, GL

guv1976 Apr 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If the OP decides to buy from Blue Nile, don't forget about sites like ebates.com, that offer cash back on Blue Nile purchases.

oyouno Apr 16, 2014 11:10 pm

IF you do go with the AA exec card.
Check and see if the jeweler's website has the ring for sale through the AA e-mall/shopping portal which could earn you more than just 1x per dollar spent.

blue nile is 3x per dollar

savekenny Apr 16, 2014 11:44 pm

So you're saying the diamond merchant sold you something for a ~40% discount? What a bargain! And what a moron he is!

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 22717100)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosierg35

I'll be buying an engagement ring within the next few weeks (~$15k), so I thought I would put that purchase to some good use with minimum spends.

What are my best options? Citi AA Executive Personal Mastercard looks pretty attractive. Are there any other large minimum spend/large sign up bonuses that I should be aware of? Thanks!

Not sure where you are from but forget the CC and go to the Diamond District in NYC. I paid $7500 for a ring in 2002 that is appraised at $24,500 today. Gold and diamond prices are higher now but it appraised for $12K the day after I bought it via an independent appraisal.

You will get the best deal around and they will knock off more than any 15K spend is going to give you for paying cash.

There are multiple stores within a block all competing for your business

Whatever you do avoid a mall or ay chain jewelry store, GL

leftpinky Apr 16, 2014 11:59 pm

He isn't a moron. The only morons are the grooms like us paying double or triple costs for diamond rings

leftpinky Apr 17, 2014 12:05 am

You can also often get a discount frm blue Nile for paying with a debit card...

747FC Apr 17, 2014 2:47 am

Originally Posted by leftpinky (Post 22717648)
He isn't a moron. The only morons are the grooms like us paying double or triple costs for diamond rings

Just consider the future value of all that money spent on ring and reception if wisely invested instead.

Congrats on OP's engagement.

atxtravel Apr 17, 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 22717995)
Just consider the future value of all that money spent on ring and reception if wisely invested instead.

Congrats on OP's engagement.

+100

The internet is full of articles explaining why and how diamonds are worth almost nothing if you go to re-sell them and are the biggest marketing scam perpetrated on people in recent history.

flightmedic Apr 17, 2014 9:33 am

Presuming you are comfortable with the price and merchant you are buying from, and they accept a credit card, your question is still which card. I would think that if AA miles are good for you that the 100K AA card is a great option. Although it has a $450 annual fee you get an immediate statement credit for $200 and you can cancel the card soon after you spend the 10K. They will then refund you the $450 but you still keep the $200 (at least that is how I understand it). In this manner you are being paid $200 to receive 110k miles (100k for the spend and 10K more). I don't see how you can beat this.

particlemn Apr 17, 2014 10:04 am

often the cash discount on jewelry can be north of 10% and also you are often not charged sales tax when you pay cash, miles and points are great but cash discounts can be huge.

747FC Apr 17, 2014 10:18 am

Originally Posted by particlemn (Post 22719523)
often the cash discount on jewelry can be north of 10% and also you are often not charged sales tax when you pay cash, miles and points are great but cash discounts can be huge.

I received a 25% discount when I offered cash for diamond earrings for my wife. Of course, it has to be a reasonable offer made to a responsible person at the right store. On this occasion, I merely said "I can pay X in cash right now if you would accept it for those earrings."

hoosierg35 Apr 17, 2014 1:33 pm

First off, THANKS to everyone for the congratulations and the advice. I already have the diamond/ring picked out and have made a down payment, so I don't really have the option of going elsewhere / buying off blue nile. I did email the jeweler today and asked about a cash discount. If their merchant fees are ~3%, that's $450, which I might want to take instead of miles and points.

Originally Posted by angrypenguin (Post 22716942)
First, congratulations!

Why not two of the Citi Exec AA? Split it over the two cards, you'll meet the min spend on one and halfway on the other. Once you're done with the second, you have 220k miles for your honeymoon.

How would I be able to sign up for 2 cards? Do you just mean one in my name, and one in hers? (She doesn't know I've bought it yet!)

Also, is it fairly easy to have the miles posted and cancel the card before the annual fee is posted? I've never tried this before. Thanks!