FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Which card(s) to use for high spend or large purchases? [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1475167-card-s-use-high-spend-large-purchases-consolidated.html)

Preacher7 Oct 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by flightmedic (Post 23695310)
I would go for the Citi Executive Advantage card. $450 annual fee and $5,000 spend. Make the spend quickly and cancel the card after the miles post and the annual fee is refunded.

Absolutely right!

travelinterpreters Oct 18, 2014 6:33 am

Thanks! I had totally forgot about that one.

I had read about that you can cancel the card before the end of the first cycle and the $450 will be refunded. Do I need to pay it off before I cancel? I have the cash to do the whole kitchen, so that isn't a problem.

lepdx Oct 18, 2014 10:22 am

the miles post after the billing cycle, isn't it? So how could one cancel and get the miles before first billing?

StartinSanDiego Oct 18, 2014 10:49 am

Originally Posted by travelinterpreters (Post 23695239)
We are getting ready to buy a new kitchen from IKEA, which will be a bit over $. spend. I am looking for a different card to put the other $5,000 or so on.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Just a reminder that Home Depot and Lowes gc's are available at your fav-o-rite office supply store. You'd also be eligible for 1% if you've got a Visa biz card enrolled in Visa Savings Edge. So that 10K in cabinets, if bought at Home Depot instead, could be 50K in UR points, plus $100 back, on top of the 70K you're already getting for the sign up bonus. Just sayin"...

Also any grocery store bonus, such as 2x on Amex with the various swipe bonuses of 20-30% for the Everyday Cards, can be boosted by buying gift cards at the grocery store. I've never seen an Ikea gc, but I've never looked, either. They definitely have an array of cards. I recently saw an Ebay variable load, too!

My usual advice is to know where you want to go, and who flies there, then work backwards to get the points needed. Then you can focus this opportunity in one Alliance or a travel goal, and make sure that your resulting points will help you achieve the goal. You didn't say how many are travelling or where you'd like to go.

For myself... I'd do a Chase Ink, Chase Bold (going away) and a UA personal, plus a non-Chase Hotel card or two. Ambitious, yes, but possible, especially as a 3-6 month plan. You could most likely pull off this if your Fico score is high and you don't have large credit lines at Chase.

OR-- a focus on the One World alliance-- AA and US Air, plus the hotel card, and supplement with a BA, and a big fat Amex offer for more BA points.

brc01 Oct 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego (Post 23697039)
Also any grocery store bonus, such as 2x on Amex with the various swipe bonuses of 20-30% for the Everyday Cards, can be boosted by buying gift cards at the grocery store. I've never seen an Ikea gc, but I've never looked, either. They definitely have an array of cards. I recently saw an Ebay variable load, too!

Grocery stores don't sell IKEA gift cards, only place I've seen them is at IKEA itself.

US Bank Cash+ is the only card I'm aware of with a 5% category bonus for IKEA. But the limit is 2,000 per quarter.

DoriG Feb 2, 2015 4:18 pm

About to make a big ($24,000) purchase

Hi folks - I'm kind of a newby at this but I have been churning for some time now and have been enjoying some nice free flights.

At present I have my long-time Citi AAdvantage World Elite, a second Citi AAdvantage Premium Select that I just took out for the 50,000 reward, a MC IHG Rewards Club card (for the free night it provides)...and that's it.

I'm about to make a $24,000 purchase that has be be paid in full by credit card.

My question...what is the best card to use or to get...what is the best way to make this purchase? I will be paying the card off immediately after it's billed.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Dori

guv1976 Feb 2, 2015 4:46 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Does the entire $24K have to be charged to a single card, or can the charge be split among two or more cards?

If it has to be charged to a single card, your options will be limited to those cards (if any) on which your credit limit exceeds $24K.

darthbimmer Feb 2, 2015 6:29 pm

There are several ways to answer this question. Each answer makes an assumption about your situation.

1. You'll get the best return if you split up the charge across several new cards to earn the signup bonus on each one. This method assumes a) you can get a bunch of new cards, and b) you can split the $24k charge. Note with regard to (b) that many merchants will let you split up a big charge into smaller payments or installments. They may charge a fee for this, but the value of the signup bonuses will likely dwarf the extra fees.

2. If you have to put the whole charge on one card, you might look at getting the Starwood card. They pay 1 point/dollar but their points are considered to be worth 2-3%. This also assumes you want hotel (or airline) points, as opposed to cash, and can get a new card.

3. If you prefer cash and can get a new card, the Citi 1+1 card pays 2% cash.

4. If you're limited to the three cards you already have, charge it to either of your AA cards. Their points are worth way more than IHG points.

MSPeconomist Feb 2, 2015 6:33 pm

Depending on what the purchase is, some credit cards offer free insurance for new purchases and other benefits. Good customer service can matter if there are problems with the item.

SFO777 Feb 2, 2015 6:41 pm

What type of purchase is it? Some cards offer bonus miles based on category or merchant. One example is office supplies/furniture earn 5 miles per $1 with certain Chase cards, computers 3x with some Amex cards. Also, check out the AA or UA e-shopping portals as you can get multiple miles per $1 just for clicking thru to merchant from the e-shopping portal... in addition to miles from using your credit card.

drminn Feb 2, 2015 7:24 pm

Don't forget to check your credit line, you my not have $24K on any one of your cards. And even if you do, make sure you pay it off before the statement closes, otherwise your utilization may go through the roof and your credit score will take a dive for a few cycles.

rdurlabhji Feb 2, 2015 7:36 pm

Do you need the EQMs from the AA card (you get it at $40K spend)? If so this would get you close.

aBroadAbroad Feb 2, 2015 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by DoriG (Post 24280495)
My question...what is the best card to use or to get...what is the best way to make this purchase? I will be paying the card off immediately after it's billed.

Let's see if we can get you some better feedback here in the dedicated Credit Card Programs forum.

Good luck!

Moderator, Information Desk

zkzkz Feb 3, 2015 3:29 am

About to make a big ($24,000) purchase

You realise the vendor is paying fees for taking payment by credit card. for a purchase like this you can almost certainly negotiate a larger saving by offering to pay "cash" (I.e. bank transfer or cheque) than the credit card will offer you in miles. The vendor should be offering you ~5% of for cash which is over a thousand dollars.

freyguy50 Feb 3, 2015 5:34 am

Originally Posted by zkzkz (Post 24282841)
You realise the vendor is paying fees for taking payment by credit card. for a purchase like this you can almost certainly negotiate a larger saving by offering to pay "cash" (I.e. bank transfer or cheque) than the credit card will offer you in miles. The vendor should be offering you ~5% of for cash which is over a thousand dollars.

5% is a reach. Most high volume vendors pay between 1-2%. Why would they offer 5% off if they only incur 1-2%. That would be dumb business.