Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How many hard pulls are you comfortable with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum

I know this may be subjective and there is no magic answer, but I'm curious how many hard pulls you are comfortable with before you pause the AoR hobby.

I've got the trifecta of having refi'd my house, 2 new car leases, and cc companies that only pull from Experian in my area. Because of this, I have 20 hard inquiries on my file. My credit history is spotless and my FICOs are about 750, but I'm wondering if I should sit tight for a bit (it's been 4 months since my last cycle).

I read about so many people having 50, 100, 200 credit cards over the last few years, it seems like they'd have to have more than 20 hard pulls and are still successful.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom/advice.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:01 pm

I'm in a similar situation(16 inquiries) and have been wondering about this as well. How many inquiries did you have before your last AoR and did you have any problems?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
When I looked at my FICO, I had 5 hard pulls, all from Chase. Maybe Citi, Barclays, and Amex were going to other sources.

My FICO is down about 30 points in the past 18 months (805 to 775) with no other discernable changes than CC apps, although it's probably both AAOA and hard pulls.

I am thinking of giving it a break for a while though. IIRC hard pulls stay with you for two years, and I got into this big-time in late 2011 for myself and early 2012 for my wife. I've been through all the serious cards, a few more than once - Amex Biz, Plat, PRG; United/AA/US/DL, Chase CSP and Ink, FL and WN. Well, "serious" by my standards, cards where I have a serious use for the points.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
My last AoR was in January with 5 cards (2 chase SWA, 2 Citi AA, and a Barclay USAir). All initially "pending" with an approval after a call to recon. So I've never had a problem other than the, "So I see you've opened several accounts recently", just wondering when people start getting rejections.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Talking

This thread has a great title.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
So the "grade" for so many hard pulls on your credit score is an F ? I have 10 and it's a D
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by jerry305
This thread has a great title.
Lol, I get it now

I have 11 on TU which is the only one that matters here in MKE. I'm done until next April at least. Besides, I don't have any cards that I am crazy about. I try to only apply for cards I "need"
Old May 1, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by phdtomd
Lol, I get it now

I have 11 on TU which is the only one that matters here in MKE. I'm done until next April at least. Besides, I don't have any cards that I am crazy about. I try to only apply for cards I "need"
There must be people with WAY more than 11. I'm also curious where the line should be drawn...or if there is any real line?
Old May 1, 2013, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wastedwords
There must be people with WAY more than 11. I'm also curious where the line should be drawn...or if there is any real line?
People should consider freezing a widely used credit bureau such as experian for OP and asking the other banks to pull from a different bureau after applying. You will be forced to call and speak with recon after every app but it will save you the pull
Old May 1, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by businessmachine
People should consider freezing a widely used credit bureau such as experian for OP and asking the other banks to pull from a different bureau after applying. You will be forced to call and speak with recon after every app but it will save you the pull
This works much better in theory than in practice.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Originally Posted by businessmachine
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
This works much better in theory than in practice.
Exactly. Every time I was forced to call, I was also forced to give the PIN.
Old May 1, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Originally Posted by djrez4
Exactly. Every time I was forced to call, I was also forced to give the PIN.
Well I'll be. I post that and then apply for the MP Explorer and she gives me the option to choose whichever report I want.

And I thought I had released the EX freeze before my last round.
Old May 1, 2013, 3:12 pm

Infinite.

I am sure at some point it will matter but after 18 pulls per Credit Karma I still get everything approved including a sub-inflation rate mortgage and an incentive rate car loan.

CK is just TU, I don't know and don't care what the pulls are on the others.

Worst case you take a break for 6-12 months. I don't burn faster than earn, so I could forego for a while.
Old May 1, 2013, 4:51 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I've been successful with 21 inquiries.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
I've been successful with 21 inquiries.
Total? Or on one Bureau

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.