Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PIN Based Mileage Earning Debit Cards?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,CO,US, and SPG Gold (just like everyone else :P)
PIN Based Mileage Earning Debit Cards?

deleted

Last edited by cnsoccer; Oct 14, 2010 at 8:15 am
Old May 13, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold / Million miler
Citibank does not have a debit card that earns miles with PIN-based purchases. Only signature ("credit-based") ones.

However, I think BofA DOES offer co-branded debit cards with both US Air and Alaska Airlines that do earn miles with PIN purchases.

Last edited by mileage junkie; May 13, 2010 at 11:46 am
Old May 13, 2010, 1:40 pm

First Hawaiian Bank did for their CO debit card which I got at the end of last year. After 4 months of Walmart money orders and 10,000 CO miles in my account, they have changed the terms of that debit card!
Old May 14, 2010, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would be quite surprised to learn of any that earn for PIN-based transactions. The PIN-based sales incur a significantly lower fee paid by the merchant to the bank which means the bank isn't earning their typical 2-3% on the transaction. If they aren't making as much money then they don't have revenue to buy the points from the loyalty program.
Old May 14, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: Free Agent
I use a lot of self-serve checkouts. I do not enter my PIN#. Rather, I just hit enter and the transaction process. Is this the same as a signature type transaction?
Old May 14, 2010, 7:16 pm

yeah

unless you put in your pin, it is a credit transaction.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:18 am

Thanks. Most promos now require 5 non-pin transactions to qualify.
Old May 15, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold / Million miler
Originally Posted by sbm12
I would be quite surprised to learn of any that earn for PIN-based transactions. The PIN-based sales incur a significantly lower fee paid by the merchant to the bank which means the bank isn't earning their typical 2-3% on the transaction. If they aren't making as much money then they don't have revenue to buy the points from the loyalty program.
I think the "buying money orders with a debit card" thing is kind of a yet-to-be-closed loophole at a couple banks. Eventually the banks figure out what's going on, and either: 1) change their policy to "NO miles from PIN purchases," or, 2) severely reduce the earning RATE...ie ...Key Bank, which went from "1 mile for every two dollars spent," to "1 mile for every SIX dollars spent."
Old May 17, 2010, 4:48 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by cnsoccer
Do any of you FTers know of debit cards that award miles for any FF program using pin based purchases? I know KeyBank does for Continental and I think I saw one for Citi somewhere but am not sure. Any help?
Evidently most (all?) debit cards can be swiped as credit at retailers and thus avoid having to enter a PIN.
Old May 17, 2010, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by onthego15
Evidently most (all?) debit cards can be swiped as credit at retailers and thus avoid having to enter a PIN.
But that would mean you buy stuff, not get cash
Old May 17, 2010, 9:10 am

Citibank premier pass elite card does not give you exactly miles but they have their thankyou points. For every three $ charged to this card as pin based transaction you get one point. Poor ratio but better than paying cash or just a blank pin based transaction at a couple of places where credit cards are not accepted.
Old May 17, 2010, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by learningtime
But that would mean you buy stuff, not get cash
Only the essentials like gas and food. And only the 5 times necessary to qualify for the promo.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
PIN Based Mileage Earning Debit Cards ?

FWIW:
I frequently use this pin-based card without pin and earn travel points: http://www.usbank.com/en/personal/pr...erkstravel.cfm

It is rated as currently the best travel rewards card in the industry by Kiplingers.
Old May 17, 2010, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Travelomania
FWIW:
I frequently use this pin-based card without pin and earn travel points: http://www.usbank.com/en/personal/pr...erkstravel.cfm

It is rated as currently the best travel rewards card in the industry by Kiplingers.
Right...non-PIN transactions earn points. No one is disputing that.
Earn one FlexPoint for every $1 in net purchases (non-PIN).
And $20K in spend gets you up to $400 airfare according to one of the webpages but everything else shows only a penny/point, making it not al that phenomenal.
Old May 17, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
Right...non-PIN transactions earn points. No one is disputing that.

And $20K in spend gets you up to $400 airfare according to one of the webpages but everything else shows only a penny/point, making it not al that phenomenal.
I'm so sorry I attempted impulsively to make a contribution to this thread and stated the obvious in the process ..

Mod, you want me to delete ?

Last edited by Travelomania; May 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.