FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1304271-usa-emv-cards-availability-q-chip-pin-chip-signature-2012-2015-a.html)

onlybeef42 May 15, 2012 9:20 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 18578390)
This is a Chip & Signature card, no PIN is required.

Ohh... :o Thanks.

kebosabi May 15, 2012 10:02 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 18575252)
I've had a Visa from them forever. No annual fee, currently 10.5% and forex they say is the 1% that Visa imposes. There are no rewards though.

Thanks. Updated the StarOne CU on the spreadsheet. Since you didn't mention whether it was Chip-and-PIN or Chip-and-Signature, I'm going to leave it at my best guess that it's a Chip-and-Signature card based on the Google search:

Jack Henry to Offer Chip-and-Signature Cards

Originally Posted by Credit Union Times
JHA Payment Processing Solutions said it will begin offering chip-and-signature debit and credit cards to its credit union customers, enabling them to better serve members who live or work abroad.

[snip]

The $5.6 billion Star One Credit Union in Sunnyvale, Calif., is beta testing the card, the company said.

srs507 May 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by onlybeef42 (Post 18578365)
I just activated my EMV Citi AA Platinum Select Visa Signature cards. I asked for them during my retention offer and a "supervisor" ended up figuring out how to issue an EMV replacement card.

On related note, when I activated the CSR said I didn't need to set up a PIN... Looks like I get to call again.

Citi started issuing Visa EMV cards? That's definitely new, when I got my EMV card they had me switch from Visa to MC because they said they were not issuing Visa EMV cards.

kebosabi May 15, 2012 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by srs507 (Post 18580777)
Citi started issuing Visa EMV cards? That's definitely new, when I got my EMV card they had me switch from Visa to MC because they said they were not issuing Visa EMV cards.

Yes. HookemHorns first reported that he obtained one with a photo of it over in post #202 on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18462189-post202.html thread on April 25:

If Citi CSR doesn't help, just twitter @AskCiti with that photo. If they claim it doesn't exist, ask them why there's a photo of it that proves its existence.

Seriously, the way Citi handles this is like UFOlogy; the person asking for it has to submit a photo of it so as they can't deny it doesn't exist. :D

wco81 May 15, 2012 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 18579169)
Thanks. Updated the StarOne CU on the spreadsheet. Since you didn't mention whether it was Chip-and-PIN or Chip-and-Signature, I'm going to leave it at my best guess that it's a Chip-and-Signature card based on the Google search:

Jack Henry to Offer Chip-and-Signature Cards

Hmm, they told me I should get the PIN in a separate mailing.

But if it's chip and signature, then just waving it on the terminals which require the chip will work?

jamar May 16, 2012 5:34 am

Not waving it, inserting it. This a contact chip.

mia May 16, 2012 8:52 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 18583528)
Hmm, they told me I should get the PIN in a separate mailing.

The PIN is not necessarily linked to the EMV chip. All cards issued in the USA have a magnetic stripe. (They may also have an EMV or RFID chip, but there is always a magstripe.) The PIN may be to enable you use the card to withdraw cash from an ATM. If it is a debit card the PIN could also be used to make domestic purchases. These would be swipe transactions, the chip would be ignored.

unavaca May 16, 2012 11:47 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 18574947)
Just got this:

http://i.imgur.com/zyZEh.jpg

They're suppose to be sending the PIN in a separate mailing.

Guess there's no place to try it out in the US.

Will be able to try in a couple of weeks, in Italy. Will need to buy at least one train ticket.

(fixed your image URL)

Can you confirm with StarOne if this is Chip + Pin or Chip + Signature? I'm a member and would love to get one, if I know for sure that it's Chip + Pin.

wco81 May 17, 2012 10:32 am

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 18586552)
(fixed your image URL)

Can you confirm with StarOne if this is Chip + Pin or Chip + Signature? I'm a member and would love to get one, if I know for sure that it's Chip + Pin.

I just called and she checked with others in the office.

It's Chip and Signature. The PIN would be for cash advances.

Will find out over the next couple of weeks. She said members report it worked out great.

And Star One definitely is not open for membership nationwide.

islandguy84 May 20, 2012 9:00 am

Originally Posted by srs507 (Post 18580777)

When I spoke to a rep, they are issuing EMV on only a few Visa cards. The list I was told was the Citi AA and Citi Prestige. I had to switch to a MC for my Citi Premier to get EMV.

They do say the list of Visa EMV will get longer over time but I wasn't willing to wait.

unavaca May 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by islandguy84 (Post 18609438)
When I spoke to a rep, they are issuing EMV on only a few Visa cards. The list I was told was the Citi AA and Citi Prestige. I had to switch to a MC for my Citi Premier to get EMV.

They do say the list of Visa EMV will get longer over time but I wasn't willing to wait.

I was able to get EMV on my Citi MC.

islandguy84 May 25, 2012 6:03 am

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 18636878)
I was able to get EMV on my Citi MC.

Citi has been issuing EMV Mastercards for some time now. My statement was more about them issuing it on only a FEW Visa cards right now unlike the wide breath of their EMV Mastercard offering.

flyguy86 Jun 2, 2012 1:56 pm

I tweeted chasesupport with the following message:
@chasesupport really need to issue more credit cards with chip and pin. too many places overseas don't use the mag. plus it isn't as safe

got the following response:
Great suggestion. Chase does offer chip & signature w/ select Chase cards. We have plans to update other Chase products soon. ^TC

People should tweet chasesupport and let them know they want EMV. might help speed thins up.

LETTERBOY Jun 2, 2012 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyguy86 (Post 18686209)
I tweeted chasesupport with the following message:
@chasesupport really need to issue more credit cards with chip and pin. too many places overseas don't use the mag. plus it isn't as safe

got the following response:
Great suggestion. Chase does offer chip & signature w/ select Chase cards. We have plans to update other Chase products soon. ^TC

People should tweet chasesupport and let them know they want EMV. might help speed thins up.

I tweeted them a similar question (maybe a 2-3 weeks ago, but can't remember exactly) and was told that they weren't aware of plans to add EMV to more cards.

Scifience Jun 3, 2012 10:56 am

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY (Post 18687463)
I tweeted them a similar question (maybe a 2-3 weeks ago, but can't remember exactly) and was told that they weren't aware of plans to add EMV to more cards.

I got a similarly useless response from them asking about if a Chip and PIN, rather than Chip and Signature, option would ever be made available...

Originally Posted by @chasesupport
As of now we only offer Chip & Signature. There have been no updates to when Chip & Pin will be available.

On a positive note, they say "when" not "if" ... maybe there's hope?