FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1304271-usa-emv-cards-availability-q-chip-pin-chip-signature-2012-2015-a.html)

cbn42 Oct 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 21689330)
And if I were a merchant, I'd say "go pound sand, I'll find another acquirer that doesn't do that BS."

That may be possible in theory, but reality is quite different. There aren't too many choices for acquirers, especially for small businesses. They also tend to function like an oligopoly and keep their pricing in lock step, similar to the airline industry. Saying that if you have an EMV slot you are "good to go" is rather misleading. It's like saying that if you have a satellite dish you are good to go, without mentioning that you need to subscribe to the service.

kebosabi Oct 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 21690652)
Saying that if you have an EMV slot you are "good to go" is rather misleading. It's like saying that if you have a satellite dish you are good to go, without mentioning that you need to subscribe to the service.

According to the April 2013 mandated deadline by VISA, MC, Discover and AMEX stated that "acquirers/processors will be required to support merchant acceptance of EMV chip transactions."

http://lp.verifone.com/media/2146788...art_021213.pdf

Since April 2013 was 7 months ago, as of right now, acquirers and processors *should* already have EMV chip transactions capable right now.

And if we take what VISA, MC, Discover and AMEX results of that April 1 deadline, it seems that "'most' [have] made [the] April 1 EMV Deadline."

http://www.paymentssource.com/news/M...3013720-1.html

So if the merchant responsibility is to have an EMV ready terminal, which quite a large number of does, and if "most acquirers/processors" have met the April 1st deadline, where is the missing link?

Do you mean someone has to actually come into a merchant's store and flick on a button or hook up a wiring or do a firmware upgrade or whatever to get the EMV processing going on an existing EMV capable terminal?

Or is EMV processing going to be some kind of optional subscription service akin to a cell phone plan's text messaging? If so, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of providing PCI-DSS relief if 75% of transactions are done by EMV which has been in effect starting this month?

cbn42 Oct 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 21691256)
So if the merchant responsibility is to have an EMV ready terminal, which quite a large number of does, and if "most acquirers/processors" have met the April 1st deadline, where is the missing link?

Do you mean someone has to actually come into a merchant's store and flick on a button or hook up a wiring or do a firmware upgrade or whatever to get the EMV processing going on an existing EMV capable terminal?

Yes, exactly, the software needs to be installed. It's not as simple as flicking on a button. It may require a visit if the shopkeeper isn't experienced in installing software on credit card readers, which most aren't. As mentioned before it may also cost money.

Implementing new technology requires both new hardware and new software. The hardware may seem more expensive and difficult to obtain, but don't overlook the software. It is just as critical.

kebosabi Oct 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 21691279)
Yes, exactly, the software needs to be installed. It's not as simple as flicking on a button. It may require a visit if the shopkeeper isn't experienced in installing software on credit card readers, which most aren't. As mentioned before it may also cost money.

It wouldn't be that difficult in this day and age to just create a how-to-website or Youtube video with step by step instructions of a "how to upgrade the firmware of an EMV terminal."

We live in the era where we have how to build your own AR-15 on Youtube for crying out loud. :D

Furthermore, I have a hard time believing that the three top POS manufacturers, Verifone, Ingenico, and Hypercom haven't put any thought to do remote firmware/software upgrades. Obviously the ability to do remote firmware/software upgrades has to be there, it's being done constantly to existing mag-stripe machines as security is always a cat-and-mouse game.

Airportismyadobe Oct 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Has anyone noticed that post offices right now have EMV capable POS? I tried inserting my chip card but the machine doesn't respond, so I end up swiping.

AllieKat Oct 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Airport, most shops in the US have the terminals but EMV isn't enabled in software. Kebosabi, I may be wrong but I believe the EMV standard prohibits remote updates to the encryption system for security reasons.

kebosabi Oct 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by alexmt (Post 21692010)
I believe the EMV standard prohibits remote updates to the encryption system for security reasons.

MC's own EMV readiness guidelines to US acquirers/processors PDF page 5 "EMV Operations Impact"
http://www.mastercardadvisors.com/_a...s_aquirers.pdf

Originally Posted by Mastercard
EMV is continuing to evolve and is designed to enable implementation of stronger security over time. Examples of changes to EMV will include different key lengths and different cryptographic algorithms in the future. It can be expected that there will eventually be more frequent terminal application and EMV configuration updates or, at a minimum, the need to load new keys to the EMV terminals. For this reason, investments in terminal management systems with remote download capabilities for application version upgrades and EMV offline authentication key updates may prove invaluable. These cost effective investments can also be leveraged to improve overall terminal support efficiencies, merchant fraud analysis, and even opportunities to add new services and improve overall customer satisfaction.

and page 7 of "Terminal Management"

Originally Posted by Mastercard
Invest in automated POS management systems to remotely implement terminal updates.

EMV terminals require more frequent updates to software and EMV-specific parameters than do traditional terminals. Centralized terminal management software to update terminals remotely is worth the initial investment to prepare for continued EMV maintenance requirements and enhancements, particularly as innovation continues in the market. In markets like Mexico and Canada, not having terminal application management systems led to time-consuming and costly in-person manual updates to terminals.

While smaller markets may be able to implement in this inefficient manner, the U.S. market characteristics and demand for customer responsiveness will make in-person and manual updates difficult to sustain over time. Considering the emergence and development of e-tablets and mobile phones into the acceptance market space, terminals may soon need to support frequent updates to remain competitive both with alternative POS devices and the demand for new functionality.

From what I gather from Mastercard's own statement is that there is no prohibition for remote upgrades on the EMV standard (the "M" in EMV is Mastercard, if EMV standard was against it, Mastercard would be against it) and furthermore, the networks (or at least MC) actually support the idea as a means to constantly load upgrades, authentication systems, and updates as necessary.

Otherwise, I don't think there's any other way for all the networks to do EMV upgrades constantly everywhere from Barrow, AK to Key West, FL, let alone from the far corners of the Earth. What, are they going to fly out technicians to load up software to each and every terminal out there everytime there is a system update?

Now acquirers may not have such a system yet today, which might explain why a lot of the EMV terminals out there are not yet active or even if they are nothing happens (i.e. the blue lights in Walmart), but I'm sure over time they will eventually do so as it is going to very costly and inefficient to have technicians come around to every single terminal out there everytime an update to the system is made.

Or, either the acquirers already do have that in place but are BSing it as a lame excuse to extort more BS fees from merchants. The cynic inside me wouldn't be surprised if acquirers and processors are doing this instead. :p

AllieKat Oct 30, 2013 2:17 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 21692663)
Or, either the acquirers already do have that in place but are BSing it as a lame excuse to extort more BS fees from merchants. The cynic inside me wouldn't be surprised if acquirers and processors are doing this instead. :p

I'm glad to read that and see it is allowed. I can tell you for a fact though that, at least in Canada, terminals get swapped by the acquiring bank they're rented from rather than even updated on-site.

If you look in the travel section you'll see there was a period of time where Tim Hortons accepted American Express EMV at some locations but not others - while they waited for their terminals to get swapped with ones containing the EMV application and keys.

It does, however, sound like remote updates are allowed. Which would make much sense!

reclusive46 Oct 30, 2013 7:28 am

Originally Posted by alexmt (Post 21693090)
I'm glad to read that and see it is allowed. I can tell you for a fact though that, at least in Canada, terminals get swapped by the acquiring bank they're rented from rather than even updated on-site.

If you look in the travel section you'll see there was a period of time where Tim Hortons accepted American Express EMV at some locations but not others - while they waited for their terminals to get swapped with ones containing the EMV application and keys.

It does, however, sound like remote updates are allowed. Which would make much sense!

When I started taking Amex 4 or 5 years ago here in the UK, I had to call my acquirer with my Amex merchant ID and they remotely loaded all of the Amex EMV data (I could take Amex via swipe by just typing merchant number into terminal).

kebosabi Oct 30, 2013 9:10 am

Originally Posted by alexmt (Post 21693090)
I can tell you for a fact though that, at least in Canada, terminals get swapped by the acquiring bank they're rented from rather than even updated on-site.

Which makes sense on how Mastercard's EMV guidelines to US acquirers specifically mentions Canada and Mexico on how they are doing things inefficiently through manual updating in a world where it's a constant cat-and-mouse game between security experts and hackers. :D

Dragonbelle Oct 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Here's travel reporter Catharine Hamm's Los Angeles Times report on credit card use overseas:

More for Your Money: Lessons learned using credit cards abroad
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...#axzz2jGPzYLF0

JEFFJAGUAR Oct 30, 2013 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dragonbelle (Post 21698544)
Here's travel reporter Catharine Hamm's Los Angeles Times report on credit card use overseas:

Interesting article but nothing in it we haven't discussed thoroughly here. For some reasons, many credit cards have glitches. It's happened to me from time to time (admitedly not often) and when I call the bank, they have no record of a decline. Maybe a timing issue when the bank's computer is doing maintenance or a temporary glitch comes to mind.

All the cards should have worked. Something went wrong in the author''s activation of the USAA card. It absolutely does function perfectly as a chip and pin card but I admit I don't use it as a primary card becauseof the asinine 1% foreign transaction fee when I have other cards that not only don't charge the fee but rebate me at least 1%.

We also have the on-going discussion of just how advantageous chip and signature cards are over magnetic strip cards. At a pos terminal, they should work as it doesn't become apparent it's chip and signature until the pos terminal indicates signature required and spits out a receipt to sign. At that point, there are some merchants who say no go becaueof the mistaken belief their liability is increased. And most chip and signature cards dmitedly do not work in many kiosks which use off line authorization.

And then, although seemingly not a problem in the UK and France, there's the question of whether the cash advance pin will work in a pos terminal (this seems to arise a bit in Scandanavia based on the experiences reported here.

As we've been saying here for a while, a lot of this is country specific. Holland is probably moreproblematic than say either the UK or France but then again credit cards in general are not really as widely usedin the Netherlands as in other European countries.

cbn42 Oct 31, 2013 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Dragonbelle (Post 21698544)

I am confused about this part:

Prebooking train tickets on First Great Western rail service, London to Newbury, England: Buoyed by my success with Chase Sapphire, I tried to use that. No dice. Tried the USAA card. No dice. Finally succeeded with my United Mileage Plus.

If this is an online transaction, any card should work, chip or no chip. Perhaps her USAA card wasn't activated properly, as previously mentioned. Why didn't Sapphire work? Mileage Plus and Sapphire are both issued by the same bank, and both have the same technology (mag-stripe and signature only) so this really makes no sense. Can anyone explain?

kebosabi Oct 31, 2013 10:26 am

The long awaited Chase Sapphire Preferred now available as EMV? (confirmed)

No where listed on Chase's website of being available so at this point, but people over at the Chase UR threads are starting to report that they are having successes with talking to CSRs to upgrade their CSP cards to EMV (Chip and Sig) starting today and currently on it's way to be mailed out to those who requested an upgrade.

Might be worth a try to call Chase if you can upgrade yours.

If successful and is finally in your hands with photo proof, please let me know so I can update the spreadsheet.

Now if CSP becomes verified, what other EMV chipped Chase cards might be on the way? United Explorer and Ink Bold are also one of the popular cards that have been long awaited for EMV as well. If it's available for CSP, is it available now finally for those cards as well too?

LETTERBOY Oct 31, 2013 11:56 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 21701487)
Now if CSP becomes verified, what other EMV chipped Chase cards might be on the way? United Explorer and Ink Bold are also one of the popular cards that have been long awaited for EMV as well. If it's available for CSP, is it available now finally for those cards as well too?

I would hope they'd add it to the United Club card, since they announced that card would have when they first introduced it last year.

infamousdx Oct 31, 2013 12:18 pm

My CSP Chip&Sig is due in tomorrow. Hopefully I can update!

richarddd Oct 31, 2013 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by infamousdx (Post 21702200)
My CSP Chip&Sig is due in tomorrow. Hopefully I can update!

I was told 3 to 5 business days.

jamar Oct 31, 2013 3:54 pm

Available for Visa only. I have the World MC and was told "no" with no idea when they'll allow it for my particular card.

Boraxo Oct 31, 2013 4:36 pm

I have to keep fighting with the other wiki editors, but it simply isn't accurate to state that US-based chip+signature cards "may" work in automated vending kiosks (i.e. gas stations, train tickets, etc.). If true Chip+PIN cards are required they don't work, and that is most of the time now. Completely disagree with post #3 based on my experience: Chip + Signature is useless without the PIN at most automated machines. Of course if you cherry pick your test sites ... ;)

Also it is not accurate to state that many credit unions offer Chip + PIN. None in my area do - it's really limited to a few specialized ones.

kebosabi Oct 31, 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 21703782)
I have to keep fighting with the other wiki editors, but it simply isn't accurate to state that US-based chip+signature cards "may" work in automated vending kiosks (i.e. gas stations, train tickets, etc.). If true Chip+PIN cards are required they don't work, and that is most of the time now.

Also it is not accurate to state that many credit unions offer them. None in my area do - it's really limited to a few specialized ones.

The word "may" suggests that it is a YMMV result which is the best report we have today from various FTers who have used them with success reports which is posted in Post #3 of this thread.

That is why the term "may" is used in conjuction with See Post #3 so that the reader can decide on his/her own whether it's worth pursuing or not.

You can't use the word "it's useless/worthless/do not work" when there are actual reports that says it worked. Because if there are success reports, then it doesn't mean 100% fail. Only when there is 100% certainty of failure is the absolute term "useless/worthless/do not work" can be used.

Hence, the word "may" is a more accurate term.

Unfortunately, there is no collective US issued EMV reporting site that lists successes and failures of their EMV Chip-and-Sign card usage abroad from every merchant environment from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe. The best we have out of all the Google searches that can be done today is this FT thread.

With what limited data points we have and based on the reports that FTers who have been kind enough to report their EMV usage stories to us, is all we have today. And from what we have today from those FTers who have used their Chip-and-Sign cards abroad that it actually worked (at least to them) in an online environment via no CVM and/or using the cash advance PIN.

Nick92 Oct 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by jamar (Post 21703544)
Available for Visa only. I have the World MC and was told "no" with no idea when they'll allow it for my particular card.

Chase is phasing out all Chase branded MasterCard products as of tomorrow and will begin sending out a Visa replacement card by early 2014. I think the MC deadline is 1/31/14. They are calling it part of an "expanded relationship with Visa to enhance your experience."

Boraxo Oct 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 21703827)
The word "may" suggests that it could work or it may not, a YMMV result which is the best report we have today from various FTers who have used them with success reports which is posted in Post #3 of this thread.

That is why the term "may" is used in conjuction with See Post #3 so that the reader can decide on his/her own whether it's worth pursuing or not.

You can't use the word "it's useless/worthless/do not work" when there are actual reports that says it worked. Because if there are success reports, then it doesn't mean 100% fail. Only when there is 100% is the absolute term "useless/worthless/do not work" can be used.

Hence, the word "may" is a more accurate term.

I guess we can just agree to disagree on this conclusion and I will leave it to you to manage the wiki.

There are quite a few fails reported in post #3 as well. And it seems to be a country by country experience. I can also report many fails in UK and Australia no matter what 4-digits I enter. While I agree that a Chip-and-Sig card is better than nothing, I think it is improper to oversell the benefits when people may rely on the card to pay for something and then have a problem when it is rejected. If you disagree then maybe make your advice specific to the countries where success is reported with Chip+Sig, or alternatively use bold print to warn people where it won't work.

Certainly the best advice would be to carry some local currency rather than rely on your card for everything. This is common sense as there are many reasons a card could be rejected (I've found the "system down" frequently) and thus maybe worth a prominent place on the wiki.

nall Oct 31, 2013 4:57 pm

Are there any changes to liability rules (for fraudulent transactions) with US-issued Chip and Signature cards?

Apparently there are some nasty liability changes in some parts of Europe for chip+PIN cards.

kebosabi Oct 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 21703891)
I think it is improper to oversell the benefits when people may rely on the card to pay for something and then have a problem when it is rejected. If you disagree then maybe make your advice specific to the countries where success is reported with Chip+Sig, or alternatively use bold print to warn people where it won't work.

Well, the problem with that is

The number of countries x the number of different merchant environments will call for a huge sampling of data that no individual can do on one's own.

You're talking about give me the most precise data that will prove once and for all whether my BofA Travel Rewards card with EMV Chip-and-Signature is accepted everywhere from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe in every single merchant environment I can think of (face-to-face transaction, internet based, automated kiosk, etc.) which could also vary widely depending even between different localities within that country (worked ok in Paris, but failed in Marseilles, etc.)

No one is realistically able to do such a task. Maybe a banker who has access to EMV charges made by Americans abroad can help us out, but I have to assume such information is confidential.

If that can't be done, the best terminology to use is the word "may." "May" isn't an oversell terminology. It's a YMMV thing that it's up to the prospective cardholder to decide whether it's worth getting one or not.

It's like saying CA is a "may" issue state for CCWs. You might or might not get a CCW permit; it's up to the discretion of your local police chief to consider if you're worthy enough to get a CCW permit; therefore it's gives the prospective CCW applicant a decision whether or not to go through the paperwork to apply for a CCW or not.

Originally Posted by nall (Post 21703908)
Are there any changes to liability rules (for fraudulent transactions) with US-issued Chip and Signature cards?

Apparently there are some nasty liability changes in some parts of Europe for chip+PIN cards.

No. US consumers' liability is still the same for Chip-and-Signature; if someone steals your Chip-and-Signature card and is used fraudulently you're still going to be off the hook for any fraudulent charges.

cbn42 Oct 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 21703891)
There are quite a few fails reported in post #3 as well. And it seems to be a country by country experience. I can also report many fails in UK and Australia no matter what 4-digits I enter. While I agree that a Chip-and-Sig card is better than nothing, I think it is improper to oversell the benefits when people may rely on the card to pay for something and then have a problem when it is rejected. If you disagree then maybe make your advice specific to the countries where success is reported with Chip+Sig, or alternatively use bold print to warn people where it won't work.

I agree, this wiki post reads more like a marketing brochure trying to push the benefits of EMV rather than a neutral compilation of information.

The word "may" is too generous in many countries. "Most likely won't, but might if you're lucky" is probably more accurate. If we can make it country-specific, that would be ideal, but if we can't, then we should be careful to specifically warn people of potential problems.

The best advice for international travelers is to have enough LOCAL CASH to pay for any purchases they make, and not rely on any card of any type. If cards work, then great, but this cannot be guaranteed in any way. For example, I regularly eat at restaurants without enough cash to cover my meal, based on the assumption that the odds of all my cards failing is extremely slim. I would never do this in a foreign country, no matter how many different cards I have.

JEFFJAGUAR Oct 31, 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 21703944)
Well, the problem with that is

The number of countries x the number of different merchant environments will call for a huge sampling of data that no individual can do on one's own.

You're talking about give me the most precise data that will prove once and for all whether my BofA Travel Rewards card with EMV Chip-and-Signature is accepted everywhere from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe in every single merchant environment I can think of (face-to-face transaction, internet based, automated kiosk, etc.) which could also vary widely depending even between different localities within that country (worked ok in Paris, but failed in Marseilles, etc.)

No one is realistically able to do such a task. Maybe a banker who has access to EMV charges made by Americans abroad can help us out, but I have to assume such information is confidential.

If that can't be done, the best terminology to use is the word "may." "May" isn't an oversell terminology. It's a YMMV thing that it's up to the prospective cardholder to decide whether it's worth getting one or not.

It's like saying CA is a "may" issue state for CCWs. You might or might not get a CCW permit; it's up to the discretion of your local police chief to consider if you're worthy enough to get a CCW permit; therefore it's gives the prospective CCW applicant a decision whether or not to go through the paperwork to apply for a CCW or not.

No. US consumers' liability is still the same for Chip-and-Signature; if someone steals your Chip-and-Signature card and is used fraudulently you're still going to be off the hook for any fraudulent charges.

Let's to be a tad more precise, not forget that liability on US cards is capped at $50 but no bank I know of in te USA makes much of an effort if any to collect even the $50 (it wuld most assuredly be a bad business decision but in theory, a bank could).

joshwex90 Oct 31, 2013 5:44 pm

I thought Australia was mostly pushing Chip&Signature as well. If so, why would there be PIN issues with a US-issued Chip&Sig card?

MrOCTeckels Oct 31, 2013 5:47 pm

Wells Fargo Business MasterCard now offered as chip and pin (may be chip and sig first priority, chip and pin second... I'll report back when I use it for the first time in Europe next week).

Joe1690 Oct 31, 2013 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Nick92 (Post 21703889)
Chase is phasing out all MasterCard products as of tomorrow and will begin sending out a Visa replacement card by early 2014. I think the MC deadline is 1/31/14. They are calling it part of an "expanded relationship with Visa to enhance your experience."

Can you please site a source for this news, as that is quite a bit of news that I would have thought the media would have picked up on, yet I have not heard a peep, nor did a Google search show up any articles that indicate this.

Also, if this is correct, then that would mean the IHG Rewards Card, formerly Priority Club Card will no longer be issued by Chase since IHG announced an agreement with Mastercard to relaunch the IHG Rewards card as a Mastercard. In addition, that would mean that the IHG Rewards card issued by Chase probably will not receive Chip + Signature since it will no longer be issued by them so why spend the money.

Nick92 Oct 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Joe1690 (Post 21704289)
Can you please site a source for this news, as that is quite a bit of news that I would have thought the media would have picked up on, yet I have not heard a peep, nor did a Google search show up any articles that indicate this.

Also, if this is correct, then that would mean the IHG Rewards Card, formerly Priority Club Card will no longer be issued by Chase since IHG announced an agreement with Mastercard to relaunch the IHG Rewards card as a Mastercard. In addition, that would mean that the IHG Rewards card issued by Chase probably will not receive Chip + Signature since it will no longer be issued by them so why spend the money.

Maybe Chase will issue a PR? I'm not sure this is truly newsworthy. When Citi began to eliminate Visa so many years ago, I don't remember much news other than threads from people upset with their new MC. The Chase MC phase out is only for Chase branded products such as Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, Slate, and the INK line of cards. Partner cards like Amtrak will remain MC. I don't want to hijack this thread any further.

kebosabi Oct 31, 2013 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 21704004)
I agree, this wiki post reads more like a marketing brochure trying to push the benefits of EMV rather than a neutral compilation of information.

The word "may" is too generous in many countries. "Most likely won't, but might if you're lucky" is probably more accurate. If we can make it country-specific, that would be ideal, but if we can't, then we should be careful to specifically warn people of potential problems.

The best advice for international travelers is to have enough LOCAL CASH to pay for any purchases they make, and not rely on any card of any type. If cards work, then great, but this cannot be guaranteed in any way. For example, I regularly eat at restaurants without enough cash to cover my meal, based on the assumption that the odds of all my cards failing is extremely slim. I would never do this in a foreign country, no matter how many different cards I have.

I think those are good points to consider. I'll revise it in a way to define what "may" means and to not be 100% reliant on it as it's neither is an absolute success or fail.

sdsearch Oct 31, 2013 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nick92 (Post 21704328)
Maybe Chase will issue a PR? I'm not sure this is truly newsworthy. When Citi began to eliminate Visa so many years ago, I don't remember much news other than threads from people upset with their new MC. The Chase MC phase out is only for Chase branded products such as Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, Slate, and the INK line of cards. Partner cards like Amtrak will remain MC. I don't want to hijack this thread any further.

Well, then, please edit your post 2061 to correct it. It says "Chase is phasing out all MasterCard products", and that's clearly different from what you just said (about it not including partner cards, which btw is a whole lot of their credit card business).

JEFFJAGUAR Oct 31, 2013 9:03 pm

Spend cash when travelling? I can't remember the last time I spent cash for anything whether at home or abroad; at least since my local Chinese take out place opened up a square account and no takes credit cads. That's the reason I acquired th USAA chip and pin mastercard which is chip and pin but I won't use it unless necessary abroad because of the asinine 1% ftf which is 1% more than it should be.

Of course several times although not often I have gone into say a convenience store, had he clerk ring it up, offer my credit card and betol (probably a lie) the terminal is down in which case I say thank you very much and walk ot and let them deal with it. I will not allow myself to be bamboozled into using cash for most anything. After all, this is the 21st century.

Nick92 Oct 31, 2013 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 21704684)
Well, then, please edit your post 2061 to correct it. It says "Chase is phasing out all MasterCard products", and that's clearly different from what you just said (about it not including partner cards, which btw is a whole lot of their credit card business).

I didn't know we can edit so long after. Just to add a further note, there's only one MasterCard card product available from Chase now so while partner cards are huge for them, MasterCard is not so this phase out is limited to Chase branded cards. The rest of the partner portfolio including Southwest, United, British, Marriott, Disney, Ritz Carlton, IHG, Hyatt, Fairmont, Amazon, and BP are all already issued as Visa. The future of UA MasterCard cards from CO is unknown.

kebosabi Nov 1, 2013 2:02 pm

Smaug posted undeniable proof of CSP with EMV on the Chase UR threads, therefore EMV spreadsheet will be updated to reflect CSP

As such we can now use this image as proof of its existence when call center reps try to play dumb and say that there is no such thing available.

The last time this happened was when Citi reps said EMV chipped AA Citi VISA cards were not available until people tweeted @AskCiti on why then there is undeniable proof of existence.

2012/04/25 HookemHorns posts proof that AA Citi VISA EMV exists
2012/05/03 Citi CSRs denies its existence
2012/05/15 Citi CSRs needed to be budged to get them issued with HookemHorns uploaded image

EMV in the US is like UFOs: CSRs say that it's not available and will not look into it further unless you submit proof of its existence. :D

emvchip Nov 3, 2013 12:03 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 21555143)
I think there's a misconception here. I'm not talking about int'l students who hold a valid visa and a US address here. They are perfectly legal residents in the US so there should be no difficulty in opening an US bank account for them. Even if the bank employee is not trained in immigration law, in any case of doubt, there are checks that can be made that what he/she is saying is perfectly legit. The visa says F-1, Google up what the heck is a F-1 visa. Oh it's a student visa issued by the US State Dept. Story checks out. Just to make sure, call the college that he/she claims is enrolled in to see if his/her story checks out. Yes his/her story checks out, ok he/she's good to go. I'm not arguing about that.

The part of what I mean by "it's not that easy as it sounds for a non-resident to open an US bank account" is like say in the case of a Nigerian freshly off the plane at JFK, walking into a BofA branch or the sort and trying to open a bank account and all he can show to prove who he is a Nigerian passport with no US address and the reason he throws is "for business purposes." That is certain to ring alarm bells.

Now if you say it's easy because there are no checks going on, then you have the latter problem. From a bank perspective, how certain are you going to claim this fresh off the plane Nigerian person who is here in the US on "business" is legit to say a Japanese national who is here in the US attending Columbia University? Or in another way, without a check, how do you tell a perfectly legitimate Nigerian businessperson who comes to the U.S. a lot for Wall Street business to a Japanese national who lies about being a student at Columbia U. when instead he is actually a yakuza gang member and his intent is money laundering? And how do you discern who these two people claim to be is legitimate? Bank employees are not trained in seeing through lies or body languages like immigration officers either.

And if there is no checks going on, then what is the criteria of making sure one prospective banking customer has an easier check over another? If it's "this person is Nigerian and the other is Japanese" is it discriminatory based on nationality?

From a bank perspective, they are taking a risk with non-residents. So I'm sure it's not easy as "walk off the plane, head to the bank, open a bank account." In actuality, there are checks in place, especially in a post 9/11 world.

On the surface a Japanese passport holder saying "I'm not a US citizen, don't have a social security number, I am enrolled Columbia University, I need a bank account" and it could be the end of it for the Japanese passport holder just because he is Japanese, but the bank might be taking a risk that this Japanese person may not actually be a student of Columbia University if all they do is take it for his word and instead turns out to be a US based yakuza member in it for money laundering. Bank employees may not be trained immigration officers, but it doesn't take too much these days to google up what the visa means to check his story out. They look at the visa page, Google up what F-1 means, State Dept. website says int'l student, ok story checks out. That's the verification.

On the other hand, a Nigerian passport holder saying "I'm not a US citizen, don't have a social security number, I come to the US a lot for business so I need a bank account" might get scrutinized more just because he is Nigerian and his story sounds fishy as if he's a Nigerian scammer, when in reality he is a legitimate Nigerian business person working in Wall Street. Visa says E-2, Google up what E-2 means, it's an investor visa. Ok story checks out.

Now throw in non-residents who show up with out any visa stamp because they got in via VWP. Now that's certainly another bone to toss in. Can a New Zealander who is perfectly legal for them to be in the US for 90 days under VWP, just show up at any US branch to open a bank account fresh off the plane?

So in the context of things and all things considered, the statement "it's easy for a non-resident to open up a US bank account" is quite misleading.

Bank of America does NOT require a SSN (for non-interest bearing accounts at least) for non US citizens. The comments about student visa verification, etc. are interesting but not applicable for BoA customers.

emvchip Nov 3, 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 21560184)
The US definitely has a bizarre system with its credit and debit systems though but it should help as many people are used to using PINs.

What's bizarre? You can have debit cards (draws money out of bank account) or credit cards (money is spent now but must be paid later).

The only potential confusion is the buttons marked credit or debit at the PoS which should actually be marked online or offline authorization. But those buttons are marked that way for historical reasons. (Credit cards always used offline authorization (still do) and debit cards always used online authorization (and with a PIN)) only back in the day.

emvchip Nov 3, 2013 12:17 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 21567750)
It could, but then again, under the US structure of confusing laws, I doubt it would be a federal level law that would be applied nationwide. We don't have any consensus on how to apply a flat nationwide sales tax

Thank goodness, because that is by design! There is a reason there are individual states, each with its own citizens that can have their OWN government to decide how they want to be taxed and how much. The 50 laboratories of democracy that Brandeis referred to are still revered by those who care about the Constitution.

Originally Posted by kebosabi (Post 21567750)
let alone other laws ranging from common sense gun laws

Actually, that is a national consensus: Amendment #2. The right to bear arms is a Constitutionally granted civil right throughout the United States. If that is a problem for someone, they can work to change it in the Constitution, but good luck taking away people's civil rights.

You can make an argument that payment systems are interstate commerce, and there is room in the system for the federal government to mandate some standards, but historically the UCC (states choosing to adopt common laws on their own) and the marketplace setup standards on their own.

kebosabi Nov 3, 2013 1:44 am

Originally Posted by emvchip (Post 21717527)
(regarding your opinion on nationwide sales tax and 2A)

Rather than straying away from the topic that is best reserved for OMNI PR, the point I made that statement were used as examples in response to a suggestion made by a poster who brought the idea of mandating a federal law that everyone should switch to EMV in the US.

In idealistic theory that would work, but in the US, it won't.

reclusive46 Nov 3, 2013 6:08 am

Originally Posted by emvchip (Post 21717512)
What's bizarre? You can have debit cards (draws money out of bank account) or credit cards (money is spent now but must be paid later).

The only potential confusion is the buttons marked credit or debit at the PoS which should actually be marked online or offline authorization. But those buttons are marked that way for historical reasons. (Credit cards always used offline authorization (still do) and debit cards always used online authorization (and with a PIN)) only back in the day.

I was more referring to the way not all debit transactions are processed by the signature network (Visa, MC, Amex etc).

In much of the world all transactions are processed through the same networks as the credit cards all the time (None of the offline and online debit nonsense) but the merchant is charged a different rate (Normally flat fee around 12p compared to a flat percentage on a credit card) automatically. There aren't separate networks (Excluding ATMs in the UK that use LINK and Euro ATMs that use EURO6000).

It would be a much easier EMV roll out in the US if all the debit cards were fully run by the signature networks.

Out of interest have you guys had an issue where you insert your Chip and Signature card and then the terminal tells you swipe the card? I've noticed it a couple of times in UK airports, where an American (Or Asian once or twice) inserts his/her chip and signature card and the screen just comes up "Swipe Card" and it processes via the magnetic stripe.

I've only seen this with UK cards when a contactless transaction has failed and the machine bugs out and asks you to swipe the card (Usually with an American Express card as not all contactless terminals in the UK take Amex cards via contactless).