FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   [Consolidated] Which Canadian credit card should I get? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1152510-consolidated-canadian-credit-card-should-i-get.html)

yyzAAguy Sep 11, 2012 3:12 pm

They tried this with me, but I learned the trick

Originally Posted by spideysense (Post 19295090)
I applied last week, but just to update, I cancelled my application today.

Although I was "approved" for $20k over the phone, RBC dragged me back to their branch TWICE to provide more documentation. I have a stellar credit score, high income, and no debt. RBC has made me provide 3 years of tax returns (originals, not copies - they made me go back for those), notice of assessments, asset details, and also made me log on to my TD checking account in front of them to prove that I have the funds that I stated I had (I guess the documents I provided from TD were not to be trusted).

If RBC wants to treat their clients like liars and con artists, then I have no desire doing any business with them. They just called me again 10 minutes ago asking for yet more documents, and I told them to cancel my application and take a hike. Again, I have NO OUTSTANDING DEBT. No line of credit, no mortgage, no car payments, nothing. I have a credit score in the 800's, lots of assets owned by me in my own name, and a high income that I pay all my taxes on. Never missed a payment on anything in my life. To make me jump through hoops like this is rather ridiculous.

Contrast that with AMEX, who approved me right away and I got the card within 48 hours.

So even if RBC called me back and offered a million miles per dollar spent, I would tell them to shove it.

It turns out that credit apps at RBC are handled in 2 different ways: the "full medical" (bend over while we look at your tax returns) and the "we trust everyone" way for those who APPLY ONLINE. If you apply by phone or by mail, you will be subject to entirely different criteria, your app will be reviewed by a different group of people, using different rules, different risk scenarios, the lot. I was told by RBC employees in credit decisionmaking roles that they could do nothing at all unless I provided tax returns, but if I apply online this will not be required. They were right.

Obviously this is insane and makes no sense. Many of you, reading what I just wrote, will naturally assume I'm leaving something out, or I've misunderstood something, or I'm pulling your leg. I promise that none of that is true. This institution really does operate in the way I've described.

If you want a card from RBC, apply online!

yerffej201 Sep 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by yyzgayguy (Post 19297028)
It turns out that credit apps at RBC are handled in 2 different ways: the "full medical" (bend over while we look at your tax returns) and the "we trust everyone" way for those who APPLY ONLINE. If you apply by phone or by mail, you will be subject to entirely different criteria, your app will be reviewed by a different group of people, using different rules, different risk scenarios, the lot. I was told by RBC employees in credit decisionmaking roles that they could do nothing at all unless I provided tax returns, but if I apply online this will not be required. They were right.

Obviously this is insane and makes no sense. Many of you, reading what I just wrote, will naturally assume I'm leaving something out, or I've misunderstood something, or I'm pulling your leg. I promise that none of that is true. This institution really does operate in the way I've described.

Interesting... and it might be the case for the first card only.

The second card that was applied to we got letter mail from RBC asking us to call them, and on the phone they asked us to provide all the info/stuff.

yyzAAguy Sep 22, 2012 11:13 am

I was applying for a second card

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 19297739)
Interesting... and it might be the case for the first card only.

The second card that was applied to we got letter mail from RBC asking us to call them, and on the phone they asked us to provide all the info/stuff.

In my case, I already had a Visa Infinite Avion (good standing more than a year) and I was applying for a Gold US Dollar RBC Rewards card.

A hitch occurred: I made a typo in the online app (put my monthly income in a field for ANNUAL income, making me look very poor) and was declined. Follow-ups could not resolve the error. AND any subsequent app I submit online will be ignored for 6 months! Because of a typo, which they refuse to correct!

yerffej201 Sep 25, 2012 12:19 am

Originally Posted by yyzgayguy (Post 19364312)
In my case, I already had a Visa Infinite Avion (good standing more than a year) and I was applying for a Gold US Dollar RBC Rewards card.

A hitch occurred: I made a typo in the online app (put my monthly income in a field for ANNUAL income, making me look very poor) and was declined. Follow-ups could not resolve the error. AND any subsequent app I submit online will be ignored for 6 months! Because of a typo, which they refuse to correct!

Interesting story, thanks.

pokee Oct 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by yyzgayguy (Post 19297028)

I applied online for an RBC BA Infinite VISA, and yes, I was approved, but holy sh!+, what a friggen ordeal! I waited over two weeks to just get approved (so it wasnt just a simple credit pull), then they shipped the card to the bank for me to pick up in person (I was told this is the ONLY option for online applications). When I pick it up in person, I need to sign my life away on several contracts, show 2 pieces of ID, then have more personal information entered on file at the branch, then spend about 5-10 minutes getting the PIN sorted out. But it doesn't end there!! I go home to call the number to activate it and I am forced to speak to an agent to do this...a french guy that I can barely understand. Then he goes through his 10 minute insurance spiel while we're "waiting" for the activation to go through. Finally I just interrupted him and said "Is my card activated yet, or what?!" and he paused and said yes. Jesus H chryste! Oh and guess what...it doesn't end there either! I signed up today for online banking so I can manage my card online, and I am restricted from doing much until they send me a verification number in the mail. MY GAWD, what an ordeal! I am surprised I was approved without an anal probe!

Compare this to my Chase Amazon.ca credit card I applied for a couple of weeks ago. Instantly approved, $9000 limit and started using instantly on amazon.ca. Like night and day, man...

lily23 Dec 7, 2012 1:06 pm

Canadian Visa/MC for $4,000 spend

Hello all,

This is probably very short notice, but I'm getting laser eye surgery in just over 2 weeks, and the clinic does not accept Amex, only Visa or Mastercard (just discovered this yesterday). I was hoping to put this on my Amex to get ~4,000 MR points, but that plan is no longer viable....

I guess my first question is, are there any good cards I could apply for right now? I only have two Visa's and no Mastercards - Chase Marriott Visa and TD Rebate Rewards. Neither would have been my first choice to put a larger spend on/get points towards travel....$4,000 would cover the minimum spend on most cards, but I'm not sure if there's even any welcome bonuses worth signing up for. If it helps, my usual spend is around ~$2,500 per month and I bank with TD.

Thanks kindly in advance for any advice!

Cheers,

Lily

markandrew Dec 7, 2012 1:38 pm

CIBC Aventura - first year free in branch or by phone, 15,000 sign up, 1,000 bonus for creating a profile, spend 4k on it, up to 20k Aventuras, currently convert to 24,000 Aeroplans. That would be my plan though you probably won't be able to use in this transfer period as it ends Dec 17th.

Good thing with Aventura is you can get the MC version, so you Have AM/VS/MC all covered.

If you don't want to deal with Aventura which require you do your transfers in 10k increments, an Aeroplan branded card will get you 15,000 mies and are also currently free.

peroorim Dec 7, 2012 5:50 pm

Don't think that you will make it with the Aventura for the current aeroplan transfer promotion as points are posted only at statement time

I think that the CIBC aerogold also currently has the first year free.

jerry305 Dec 7, 2012 7:53 pm

Canadian Visa/MC for $4,000 spend

Applying for a premium card at a bank branch might, MIGHT speed up the card delivery. Could try for 2 or 3 cards and hope for at least one to show up in time. Worth the attempt.

sp4294 Dec 7, 2012 11:32 pm

I'd go for the RBC Avion cards for flexibilty.

lily23 Dec 8, 2012 1:57 am

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I was eyeing the CIBC aerogold which waives the first year free....figured I could collect the 15,000 Aeroplan points, and then ditch the card after the first year since I'm not too keen on collecting too many points with Aeroplan....

I do like the RBC Avion for the flexibility, but no waived fee for the first year =( Really wish I'd gotten in on the British Airways Visa when it was 50,000 Avios for $5,000 spend but I guess I missed the boat on that one...that's what I get for last minute decisions!

Looks like I will apply for CIBC Aerogold and hope it arrives in time! Worst case scenario, I suppose I get some more Marriott points...

Thanks everyone :)

1Newflyer Dec 10, 2012 12:28 am

Originally Posted by lily23 (Post 19817580)
Thanks all for the suggestions!

I was eyeing the CIBC aerogold which waives the first year free....figured I could collect the 15,000 Aeroplan points, and then ditch the card after the first year since I'm not too keen on collecting too many points with Aeroplan....

I do like the RBC Avion for the flexibility, but no waived fee for the first year =( Really wish I'd gotten in on the British Airways Visa when it was 50,000 Avios for $5,000 spend but I guess I missed the boat on that one...that's what I get for last minute decisions!

Looks like I will apply for CIBC Aerogold and hope it arrives in time! Worst case scenario, I suppose I get some more Marriott points...

Thanks everyone :)

You will not get a new card in 2 weeks. Make an arrangement to delay payment. Tell them to invoice you with a 30 day payment term.

lily23 Dec 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Hmm they did say the card should arrive in 10 business days. But I suppose it is Christmas, so it could be delayed. In any case, the clinic is fine with charging one card, and then reversing the payment onto another card later on so hopefully everything will go smoothly!

jerry305 Dec 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Hmm they did say the card should arrive in 10 business days. But I suppose it is Christmas, so it could be delayed. In any case, the clinic is fine with charging one card, and then reversing the payment onto another card later on so hopefully everything will go smoothly!

That's awfully nice of them. Generally, a merchant still eats the 2-3% transaction fee on returned goods or services.

So if that's the case, they're likely going to double-pay for your transaction.

lily23 Dec 11, 2012 12:09 am

Originally Posted by jerry305 (Post 19832371)
That's awfully nice of them. Generally, a merchant still eats the 2-3% transaction fee on returned goods or services.

So if that's the case, they're likely going to double-pay for your transaction.

Hmm I didn't know that, I wonder if the lady I spoke to is also aware of that? She seemed to think it was no big deal...

Well, I suppose worst case scenario, if I can't use the CIBC card, I still get Marriott points...bound to need a hotel sometime!