FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   US Bank - Annual Fee Waiver / Retention Bonus - All cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1052718-us-bank-annual-fee-waiver-retention-bonus-all-cards.html)

MisterBill Mar 7, 2023 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by MisterBill (Post 34954074)
I have the Altitude Connect and have no plans to pay the AF for a second year, and it seems unlikely that I get a retention offer. If I convert it to another card (assuming they allow me to), will my point balance carry over? I have a rather large negative point balance because of an $8000 refund on a cancelled cruise. Already got the credit balance sent to me as a check.

So i chatted with CS and converted my card to a Cash+. Did not ask for a retention offer and was not offered one They changed the card number, even though it's still a Visa card, and it's still showing as an Altitude Connect on the website/app. They said I'll only get the AF refunded after 45 days. After getting the new cards yesterday, today I received four separate envelopes with letters telling me that a) my card number has changed, b) I now have a foreign transaction fee,c) that my rewards balance will be credited to my account (hopefully not as a negative since i don't feel like paying them almost $300) and d) that I should mail back my old metal card for them to destroy (the letter said that a card holder was included with the return envelope, but it wasn't). For good measure, I also got balance transfer checks with the old account number.

Obviously a terrible waste of paper and postage.

supergabe Mar 9, 2023 1:01 pm

USBank Altitude Reserve, offered 5,100 points. CY 2022 spend was $55k, all 3x travel and mobile wallet.

toofast Mar 9, 2023 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by supergabe (Post 35074617)
USBank Altitude Reserve, offered 5,100 points. CY 2022 spend was $55k, all 3x travel and mobile wallet.

Did you accept?

I've noticed with the AR, they seem to offer lower deals if you've spent a lot of money with them over the previous year. 5,100 is not bad considering a large yearly spend.

fj1886 Mar 15, 2023 9:34 am

I called today (844-357-2015) and asked about retention offers. I was offered a lower APR, 1,000 points, or one of three downgrade options to other cards. I hung up and called back and was offered the same, and was told that was the best she could do. I then asked to speak to a supervisor.

The agent put me on hold, and a couple minutes later came back on and said that she could offer me 5,000 as a "Satisfaction offer" (as opposed to the 1,000 "retention offer"). I asked her what the difference was, and she said that the 5,000 points is because "you are dissatisfied" and not related to retention.

I still asked for a supervisor, just to push the envelope, since I figured I already had 5,000 on the table. Spoke to a super friendly supervisor who said that she couldn't do anything more, so I accepted the 5K. Said it will post a couple of days after my next statement generates.

My history:
2019: 10K
2020: 5K
2021: 10K (but had to get a supervisor to see the higher offer)
2022: Basically the same thing as this year: I was offered 1K, I pushed, and ended up with 5K.

toofast Mar 15, 2023 11:35 am

Originally Posted by fj1886 (Post 35089718)
I called today (844-357-2015) and asked about retention offers. I was offered a lower APR, 1,000 points, or one of three downgrade options to other cards. I hung up and called back and was offered the same, and was told that was the best she could do. I then asked to speak to a supervisor.

The agent put me on hold, and a couple minutes later came back on and said that she could offer me 5,000 as a "Satisfaction offer" (as opposed to the 1,000 "retention offer"). I asked her what the difference was, and she said that the 5,000 points is because "you are dissatisfied" and not related to retention.

I still asked for a supervisor, just to push the envelope, since I figured I already had 5,000 on the table. Spoke to a super friendly supervisor who said that she couldn't do anything more, so I accepted the 5K. Said it will post a couple of days after my next statement generates.

My history:
2019: 10K
2020: 5K
2021: 10K (but had to get a supervisor to see the higher offer)
2022: Basically the same thing as this year: I was offered 1K, I pushed, and ended up with 5K.

How much did you spend on the card over the last year? and approximately how much of that spend was at 3%?

fj1886 Mar 16, 2023 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by toofast (Post 35089999)
How much did you spend on the card over the last year? and approximately how much of that spend was at 3%?

$20K. Essentially all of it at 3%.

ehallison Mar 31, 2023 9:19 am

Immediately got offered (and accepted) 5k points when husband called to suggest he might cancel the card. Spending was about $10k in the last year, all of it in 3X categories.

Intel May 15, 2023 8:32 am

Called about my Altitude Connect $95 fee - spoke to 3 different reps, all of them said the same thing:
- "there is no retention department I can transfer you to"
- "the computer system only says your options are to close or downgrade"

The last rep said that if this account was an Altitude Reserve that the computer does say to call the altitude reserve CS dedicated line and she couldn't help me.

I ended up converting the account to the 5% CashPlus card that has no annual fee; since US Bank does not allow you to move credit lines between your accounts (silly restriction if you ask me).

MisterBill May 19, 2023 8:03 am

Originally Posted by MisterBill (Post 35070093)
So i chatted with CS and converted my card to a Cash+. Did not ask for a retention offer and was not offered one They changed the card number, even though it's still a Visa card, and it's still showing as an Altitude Connect on the website/app. They said I'll only get the AF refunded after 45 days.

I converted from Altitude Connect to Cash+ more than two months ago. They issued new cards that say Cash+ on them (with a new number), but it still shows as Altitude Connect on the website along with my negative rewards balance. The AF refund finally posted a couple of weeks ago. I don't see a way to request a refund of the credit balance online, so I guess I will have to call.

MDtR-Chicago May 20, 2023 12:29 am

Originally Posted by MisterBill (Post 35262555)
I don't see a way to request a refund of the credit balance online, so I guess I will have to call.

Chat agents can handle credit balance refunds, if that's easier.

aggarnir Jun 28, 2023 12:52 pm

USBank Altitude Reserve: First agent was adamant no such retention offers exist. Second agent offered 10,000 points and I accepted. First cardmember year and spend was ~9k with around 70% at 3x.

xinux Jun 30, 2023 1:04 pm

You won't believe this - every year since 2018, I've managed to score a retention offer of 5,000~10,000 points on my Altitude Reserve card, and that too straight from the first agent I speak with! I have this little trick up my sleeve: I make sure to redeem/transfer all my leftover points and take full advantage of the annual $325 credit before I pick up the phone for the retention call. It's been working like a charm.

MDtR-Chicago Jul 5, 2023 12:35 pm

Altitude Reserve, very little spend, mostly on occasional mobile wallet and promotions, plus the annual travel credit and redemption spending. Very straightforward and pleasant retention call; immediately offered 10k. That's enough for me to keep it for another year. (I have a grandfathered card with category bonuses so the AR is a very convenient way to cash them out).

One thing I hadn't heard a rep say before about the AR: I called a few weeks after the fee posted. He said, next year, try calling just before the fee posts as they often have better offers then.

Retention History:

This year: 10k
2022: 10k
2021: Forgot to call
2020: 10k

Originally Posted by xinux (Post 35375828)
I have this little trick up my sleeve: I make sure to redeem/transfer all my leftover points and take full advantage of the annual $325 credit before I pick up the phone for the retention call.

I think there is something to this. I'm not sure if it helps with the algorithm but when I've had significant points on the card, the rep was much more reluctant to offer me anything more. Like in her mind, since I had the points, I could just use them to offset the fee. I didn't need any more points to help with that.

toofast Jul 5, 2023 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 35388654)
grandfathered card with category bonuses so the AR is a very convenient way to cash them out

What is this? I haven't heard about this before.

MDtR-Chicago Jul 5, 2023 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by toofast (Post 35389565)
What is this? I haven't heard about this before.

The old FlexPerks Travel Rewards card. It has a few categories that pay 2x still, which turns into 3% back with AR. Sometimes that's high enough for me to care. The card also gives 3500 points at $24k spend and usually some kind of 1000 point promotion every quarter or two.

toofast Jul 5, 2023 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 35389686)
The old FlexPerks Travel Rewards card. It has a few categories that pay 2x still, which turns into 3% back with AR. Sometimes that's high enough for me to care. The card also gives 3500 points at $24k spend and usually some kind of 1000 point promotion every quarter or two.

So you're able to transfer the points from this card over to AR? If so, that's really great!

MDtR-Chicago Jul 5, 2023 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by toofast (Post 35389756)
So you're able to transfer the points from this card over to AR? If so, that's really great!

Yep. There is a (fairly low) annual maximum but they have always been able to waive the limit if you call in.

Once you transfer, you can't transfer back, but that's fine.

crapz1 Jul 6, 2023 3:18 pm

Posted this in the Altitude Reserve thread. Inquired about cancelling the Reserve about a week after the annual fee posted and the frontline agent offered $400 credit to offset. Credit was posted to account same day. Previously only received retention of 5K, 15K, and 10K points.

DwightSchrutesFarm Jul 20, 2023 9:23 pm

Altitude Reserve

I've had this card since 2018 or so. This year, I put about $6,300 in spending on the card (almost all Apple Pay/travel 3x). When I called over the weekend, two consecutive reps said either there were no offers available for me or that they don't do retention offers (lol).

I called again during business hours on a weekday this week and the rep instantly offered my choice of 14.99% interest for 6 months (lol) or 10k points (no spending required). I accepted the 10k and it already shows as pending on the app.

When I fished for a retention offer last year, I spent ~$11k (again, almost all 3x) and they offered 1,000 points (also no spend). 1k, not 10k.

notaek Aug 8, 2023 7:10 am

Altitude Reserve DP
Called the number on the back of my card, offered 10k to keep it open, that's enough for me.
I've had the card since 2018 and got an offer every year expect last year.
3X on Apple Pay is the only thing that keeps me holding on.

RobUAIntl Aug 16, 2023 5:51 pm

Wife's Altitude Reserve is hitting first anniversary. $400 fee should hit before month end. Spent around $10k, but stopped using card a month ago and used all most of the points at the 1.5% rate on travel, the rest by transfering to my Altitude Reserve card. Called today (she has a name that does not indicate gender so I can call and pretend I'm her) and asked for retention offer. Was offered 5000 points pretty quickly and took it so I don't need to keep calling to see if it goes up. 5000 points at 1.5% rate is worth $75 which makes the card free ($400 fee minus $325 travel credit minus the $75 value of the bonus).

I have same card in my name and when fee hit in May 2022, I got 6000 points so I kept it then. In May 2023, after 4 calls, I got same offer of 1000 points on all of them. I hadn't cleared account of points and had too many to transfer to my wife so I pretty much was cornered into keeping the card.

trikotret Aug 16, 2023 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl (Post 35503812)
Wife's Altitude Reserve is hitting first anniversary. $400 fee should hit before month end. Spent around $10k, but stopped using card a month ago and used all most of the points at the 1.5% rate on travel, the rest by transfering to my Altitude Reserve card. Called today (she has a name that does not indicate gender so I can call and pretend I'm her) and asked for retention offer. Was offered 5000 points pretty quickly and took it so I don't need to keep calling to see if it goes up. 5000 points at 1.5% rate is worth $75 which makes the card free ($400 fee minus $325 travel credit minus the $75 value of the bonus).

I have same card in my name and when fee hit in May 2022, I got 6000 points so I kept it then. In May 2023, after 4 calls, I got same offer of 1000 points on all of them. I hadn't cleared account of points and had too many to transfer to my wife so I pretty much was cornered into keeping the card.

Why do you both have the card? They have free authorized users.

MisterBill Aug 20, 2023 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 35264310)
Chat agents can handle credit balance refunds, if that's easier.

They finally issued a refund of the AF after three months. Never bothered to call (or chat, which I didn't see whe I initially looked) since I have a -$295 rewards balance and did not want that to come up. Sadly, the rewards balance did not get zeroed out when I switched from Altitude Connect to Cash+ (I thought it was supposed to), so I guess I will only be using that card for my monthly $1 free spending (they do a small balance refund if your statement balance of $1 or less, for those who do not know).

qisu Aug 21, 2023 1:21 pm

Just called in (couple of wks after AF posted) and asked for incentive to help offset the AF. was offered 4000 points and took it.

mrcaptain Sep 20, 2023 8:20 am

Called in annual fee posted was offered lower APR or 5000 points. I said I'll call back later to confirm.

Called in 3 days after annual fee was posted. 1st rep said there's no such thing as a retention offer. I mentioned that first rep said to call back and she still said there was nothing to check. I hung up and called back and got another rep. This rep quickly checked for offers on account and offered 10,000 points. I quickly accepted this and asked why the other rep refused to offer anything and she just said they must be misinformed as they aren't called retention offers in the system.

ehallison Sep 23, 2023 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by RobUAIntl (Post 35503812)
Wife's Altitude Reserve is hitting first anniversary.... Called today (she has a name that does not indicate gender so I can call and pretend I'm her)

My spouse's name is also non-gender-specific and I have been tempted many times to make the call for him, but have never gotten up the nerve.

Karelian Oct 21, 2023 1:35 pm

Altitude Reserve

Just wanted to provide a data point. My annual fee just hit couple days ago. I called in, asked if they have any retention offer to keep the card. At first the service rep said no, but she can help me change into a no-annual fee card. But then she asked me to wait and she spoke with a supervisor. They ended up offering me 5000 points only, and I accepted.

Seems like the recent stories of lower retention bonuses are true.

guv1976 Oct 21, 2023 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Karelian (Post 35683104)
Just wanted to provide a data point. My annual fee just hit couple days ago. I called in, asked if they have any retention offer to keep the card. At first the service rep said no, but she can help me change into a no-annual fee card. But then she asked me to wait and she spoke with a supervisor. They ended up offering me 5000 points only, and I accepted.

Seems like the recent stories of lower retention bonuses are true.

Yes, but even with only a 5,000-point retention/customer-appreciation bonus, the card's net annual cost is reduced to zero.;)

jags86 Oct 21, 2023 2:27 pm

I wish they’d give me a 5000 point retention offer. They always tell me to pound sand.

toofast Oct 22, 2023 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison (Post 35606717)
My spouse's name is also non-gender-specific and I have been tempted many times to make the call for him, but have never gotten up the nerve.

My wifes name IS gender specific, but I still call in as her with no issues.

I think in these days of LGBTQ etc they are trained not to question that topic.

a330300 Oct 24, 2023 12:16 pm

AF posted in October - redeemed most of my points and used the $325 travel credit prior to calling in.

Rep checked and offered 4000 after I asked, which I accepted.

Compared with previous years:

2023: 4k
2022: 5k
2021: 15k (10k + 5k for Gogo benefit reduction)
2020: 10k

kouichi Nov 13, 2023 4:26 pm

Opened USBAR back in Q4 2020 and never got retention in previous years. Got a 10K pts offer when I called this month.

crazyhorse Dec 6, 2023 10:19 am

Another year, another 5K points on my Altitude Reserve. Call barely lasted 3 mins. In terms of prep, I did purchase an airline ticket and used RTR @ 1.5c/point to bring my point balance substantially down. The $325 credit for travel had also posted for the same purchase.

All in all this continues to be a $0 AF card for me.

fatlard Dec 11, 2023 11:51 am

Thank you for the reminder!

Intel Dec 28, 2023 1:06 pm

Data point. Had the altitude reserve card for 3-4 years; never been offered a retention bonus. Called this time after a month went by since the AF posted. Was offered 10k points.

fedolefan Jan 15, 2024 12:14 am

Anyway to do this over chat? I put a lot on this card last year like 35k per year, and last year they offered me 6000 points. Just don't feel like calling in this time given i spent much less.

guv1976 Jan 15, 2024 9:50 am

Originally Posted by fedolefan (Post 35909871)
Anyway to do this over chat? I put a lot on this card last year like 35k per year, and last year they offered me 6000 points. Just don't feel like calling in this time given i spent much less.

Don't assume that your retention bonus offer will be less because you spent less; it might actually be more.

dinkoh Feb 5, 2024 10:54 am

Annual spend $30k. No retention bonus. Just offered product change to no AF.

eknock007 Feb 8, 2024 11:51 am

Data Point:

Have had the Altitude Reserve for about 4 years. Was offered 10k points last year to keep it open. This year I was offered 15k. Less than $5k in spending last year. Basically called and said I had recently been charge the annual fee and that I was considering cancelling unless there were some incentive to keep it open. Was offered a low APR six months or 15k bonus point. Took the point as 15k points translates to $225 in value. Currently have a balance of a little under 100k points. Call took less than 3 minutes.

tromboneboss Feb 12, 2024 12:42 pm

I was just offered 5000 points to keep the card open. Opened the account just last year. Had about $10000 in spending over the year. I’ll keep it for that amount of points. I like this card.