Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Whats the proper etiquette? [coughing seat neighbor on packed flight]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the proper etiquette? [coughing seat neighbor on packed flight]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Express Platinum
Originally Posted by MarcusP
Your "case of the sniffles" is now known to cause long-term neurological damage and vascular inflammation in those you infect -- even if their infection is asymptomatic -- and will cause months-long symptoms in 20% of the persons who get it. And of course your "sniffles" remains the number 3 cause of death in most developed countries.

You don't get to spit in shared food, and you don't get to spit in shared air, no matter how healthy you assert you are. Not a matter of etiquette.
Seriously, what planet are you living on? This is a travel forum...
Old May 28, 2022, 10:45 pm

And this is a discussion about how to address the problem of travelers negligently (or, as other posters have made clear, maliciously) putting other travelers at risk by failing to take basic safety precautions. The facts are not at issue, "what planet are you on" dismissiveness notwithstanding.

The question is how to best respond when another traveler jeopardizes safety. The best answer I've seen yet is to bring the issue to the cabin crew's attention. That this may be socially uncomfortable is beside the point, as is the fact it violates pre-2020 social norms, because today this is a safety issue.
Yul_voyager, nk15, DoB840 and 2 others like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:05 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Express Platinum
Originally Posted by MarcusP
And this is a discussion about how to address the problem of travelers negligently (or, as other posters have made clear, maliciously) putting other travelers at risk by failing to take basic safety precautions. The facts are not at issue, "what planet are you on" dismissiveness notwithstanding.

The question is how to best respond when another traveler jeopardizes safety. The best answer I've seen yet is to bring the issue to the cabin crew's attention. That this may be socially uncomfortable is beside the point, as is the fact it violates pre-2020 social norms, because today this is a safety issue.
With all due respect, I do not, have not, and will not fly sick. There are hundreds of reasons why someone will sneeze or cough or clear their throats on an airplane. Sitting with a boom microphone waiting to strap a mask on someone the second their throat tickles means you have a sickness that is worse than covid. In my experience traveling through the pandemic (200 plus flights) the people that make the most noise about what OTHER people are doing have at least 3 visible co-morbidities themselves. People need to get back to taking care of themselves (mix in a workout and a salad) and start minding their own business- get a pair of noise cancelling headphones and a book about something not covid.
If someone coughs in your face that's another story, but if you're sitting in 3A complaining to the flight attendant about the person who may have sneezed, coughed, and/or farted in seat 12B you need a therapist.
And I did say with all due respect...
Old May 29, 2022, 1:45 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
MarcusP post was in answer to someone writing he will deliberately cough in the face of people if he does not like how they look. [mod edit]
Not about people farting 10 rows away.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 30, 2022 at 12:38 am Reason: Personal attack on another member
Old May 29, 2022, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Coughing is a symptom of CoVid. The passenger signed the affidavit at check-in as being free of CoVid symptoms. I know, that sucks if you have a cough that isn't CoVid. And despite that, if someone is coughing on the plane, I should still treat them with due respect.

I need to be more careful than most people about getting and transmitting CoVid.

Recently, I was in LAS terminal and someone was constantly coughing, sweaty, and otherwise looking sick. I made the decision before boarding, I would not board if that person was going to be flying on the same plane.

Etiquette?
Offer mask to the cougher.
I'd ask flight attendant to move to another seat, or if the plane's door was still open, I'd get off the plane and take my chances on another flight.
If the door is already closed, I will choose to be stuck wearing an N95 the whole trip.
I'd like to ask them to notify me if they have CoVid or get it soon so I can isolate and not pass it on and give them my card.
A cough is a symptom of many things. There are also other symptoms of COVID that aren't as noticeable and many infected people are asymptomatic. For all you know the passenger got tested before the flight and is negative.

Nevertheless you want to offer a mask and then exchange personal information with a request to contact you if they get COVID. Were I on the receiving end I'd refuse both the offer and the request in no uncertain terms.

If you "need to be careful" and are frightened to the point that someone coughing would cause you to scurry off a flight if the door is still open then perhaps commercial flying and other forms of mass transit are not for you just yet.
Old May 29, 2022, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
If you "need to be careful" and are frightened to the point that someone coughing would cause you to scurry off a flight if the door is still open then perhaps commercial flying and other forms of mass transit are not for you just yet.
Much of the progress in air transport safety over the past few decades has been via curtailing the influence of social pressures on decision making. "I don't want to seem scared/silly/worried", "I don't want to be ridiculed", "he might get mad if I say something", and "I guess he knows what he's doing" are natural impulses that have to be trained out of aircrews when making safety decisions. So it's disheartening to see the the argument against taking pandemic safety precautions being framed using exactly those dysfunctional social pressures.

We're in a pandemic where on the order of 1% of the population at all of our Western air hubs are infectious today, and where around 20% of the infected will go on to suffer Long Covid effects. This is a magnitude of risk which would be imperatively addressed if it occurred at the level of aircraft design/manufacturing, aircraft maintenance, or flight operations. On-board infection-control precautions are safety measures, and need to be addressed as such, which means being aware of and overcoming the all-too-familiar social pressures to ignore them.
QT31415, nk15, DoB840 and 1 others like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by the810
Being in the north, where it's still pretty cold, I've encountered countless coughing people on planes and trains in recent months. The proper etiquette is to mind my own business. This approach was also adopted by my fellow travellers at times when I was the cougher.

As others pointed out, people have been coughing for centuries. Somehow we're still here. Move on.
But that was before a respiratory virus killed millions of people and face masks became common.

Basic courtesy is to wear a mask if you are potentially spreading germs through coughing.
nk15 and DoB840 like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by fransknorge
MarcusP post was in answer to someone writing he will deliberately cough in the face of people if he does not like how they look. [mod edit]
Not about people farting 10 rows away.
Prove this part of the equation for the benefit of the thread: cough in the face of people
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
But that was before a respiratory virus killed millions of people and face masks became common.

Basic courtesy is to wear a mask if you are potentially spreading germs through coughing.
Anytime someone coughs for any reason they are "potentially spreading germs." Those who continue to live in terror of COVID and stand ready to shove masks at people who cough and demand that they be contacted if the cougher tests positive should perhaps go back into lockdown and isolation. Imposing on people who don't share their fears is well outside the bounds of "basic courtesy."

Last edited by Badenoch; May 30, 2022 at 6:32 am
Old May 30, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler

I believe planes weren't even invented before "a respiratory virus killed millions of people".

I don't travel to places where face masks are common. I'm very respectful towards local social norms and stay away from places where masks are commonly worn, even if not legally required (although I don't know many places in the western world where masks would be worn by the majority when not compulsory - Germany is the only one that comes to my mind and even that seems to be improving).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.