Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus: testing and travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by LifeontheBeach
Russia has released it's vaccine for mass production after clearing clinical trials. Expected to be widely used in early August. Though I don't plan to be in Russia for the first batch, but the vaccine is here.
Not quite. The Russian vaccine is going to phase III trials in August. The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine went to phase III a month ago in Brazil.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Trump has already ordered 300 million doses of the Oxford vaccine, so that's what you are all getting in the US, and hopefully it works, so calm down...
largeeyes likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 15, 2020 at 1:12 am Reason: Removed OMNI comment
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm pretty fed up of post covid daily rituals like hand sanitizing, social distancing and so on and so forth. Also, the cost of not being where I want to be is adding up as well.

I plan to chase the vaccine and try and get it no matter where it's available first.
Whether you get the vaccine or not, social distancing and other restrictions (mandatory use of masks, limits on numbers of customers, severe restrictions on international travel) will continue until governments are certain that the virus is no longer a significant threat.

And there is more than one vaccine currently in development: how will you know whether the first one is the best one?
BearX220 and largeeyes like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Misco60

And there is more than one vaccine currently in development: how will you know whether the first one is the best one?
I think there are about 20 total in development, I recommend getting at least 5, the Russian, the Chinese, a couple of Americans, and the UK one, just to be on the safe side...
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:23 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
I'm as fed up, however I'm also neither immunocompromised nor a key worker. Over here in the UK I'd imagine those two categories would come first, and for obvious reasons; whilst I'm bored of not being able to travel, I recognise that people who still can't leave their house have a greater need for this vaccine than I do... plus of course doctors/nurses/shopkeepers/drivers/cops/paramedics etc.

Also, and it might be a stupid worry, it seems to me that there are multiple routes to the vaccine being followed, by multiple companies/states/sovranational entities. What if I get a vaccine and it's a case of getting the "Betamax vaccine" whilst the rest of the world settles for the "VHS" one? Bottom line, I'll probably wait for my turn when it comes. I have an intercontinental trip for Feb: it'd be great if I could have a vaccine by then. If not... well, I'll add it to the ever-growing list of "almost-went".
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I’d certainly look to get a vaccine as soon as possible. If there are multiple candidates I might wait for one which seems more reliable, but not for that long.

I’d not do anything below hand to steal from immuno-compromised people or essential workers, but I’ll be very happy to spend some money on travel and if necessary a private vaccine at the right time.

Immuno-compromised people can only have inactive vaccine, live vaccine are forbidden to them. If the immunosuppression is due to a therapy (immuno therapy, chemo therapy) this therapy must be stopped (could be for a period of time up to 6 months) with all the risks that it entails (auto immune disease flaring up, cancer restarting) to take a live vaccine.
Live vaccine are mostly for:
  • Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR combined vaccine)
  • Rotavirus
  • Smallpox
  • Chickenpox
  • Yellow fever
  • Flu (nasal shot)

Inactive vaccine are for:
  • Hepatitis A
  • Flu (shot only)
  • Polio (shot only)
  • Rabies
We do not know whether the COVID-19 vaccine will be live or inactive. If live then immunocompromised has to rely on herd immunity to get protected. Thus meaning the max people should be have the vaccine for it to be efficient for society (like most vaccine).
Disclosure: I am immuno compromised.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I plan to chase the vaccine and try and get it no matter where it's available first.
A very stupid notion, I must say.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-tracker.html

The first vaccines that will be available are so called "Whole -Virus Vaccines", most likely from China or Russia.. These are potentially the more dangerous ones.
In the past such vaccines may worsen the disease. If the formed antibodies do not perfectly fit to the virus, the virus may infect the immuno-cells, as well.

Hence, you can only safely "chase" your vaccine once it is proven that sth. like that won't happen.

The better course -> Follow the social distancing protocol, wear mask .... and get the vaccine once it is 99.99% safe.
largeeyes likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:12 am
Suspended

Trump has already ordered 300 million doses of the Oxford vaccine, so that's what you are all getting in the US, and hopefully it works, so calm down..
Juat because Trump ordered 300m doses, doesn't mean he'll get them all.
imkevinmc likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by warakorn
Juat because Trump ordered 300m doses, doesn't mean he'll get them all.
The US does not need 300 m doses of the vaccine, at least initially. They are funding 4 different ones I believe, the quickest one seems to be Moderna. The Oxford Vaccine will get first given to the UK as they co financed and developed it.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm pretty fed up of post covid daily rituals like hand sanitizing, social distancing and so on and so forth. Also, the cost of not being where I want to be is adding up as well.

I plan to chase the vaccine and try and get it no matter where it's available first. I am *well aware* that each country will try to get it done for their own citizens first, but then, if one holds multiple passports, that issue can be avoided to some extent. There are some other countries which may be open to 'arrangements' to allow an out of turn vaccine to foreigners.

Anyone else planning to chase the vaccine?

What if you get the virus on the way to some other country to get the vaccine. And how do you know there ARE other countries open to bribes?
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I'm in the waiting camp too, especially if a vaccine becomes available soon (i.e., within the next year). I'm concerned not only about the efficacy of the vaccine but also the supply chain and delivery services. I can wait til the kinks are worked out and see what kind of side effects are observed from mass delivery of the vaccine, not just in trials.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Not everyone needs the vaccine, what the vaccine will do is achieve herd immunity much quicker than natural methods and with many less cases/deaths.
LETTERBOY and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:39 am

A very stupid notion, I must say.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-tracker.html

The first vaccines that will be available are so called "Whole -Virus Vaccines", most likely from China or Russia.. These are potentially the more dangerous ones.
In the past such vaccines may worsen the disease. If the formed antibodies do not perfectly fit to the virus, the virus may infect the immuno-cells, as well.

Hence, you can only safely "chase" your vaccine once it is proven that sth. like that won't happen.

The better course -> Follow the social distancing protocol, wear mask .... and get the vaccine once it is 99.99% safe.
[Overly personal comment redacted by Mod] you're not reading my posts right. Different countries will clear vaccines with the protocol that is in their countries. And I stated in my first post that I hold multiple passports. So the first proven one: I will be there. That is what's called chasing: not waiting for one country to clear it and depending on one system to get it.

Though I don't plan on getting the Russian vaccine, [personal comment redacted] your statement declaring them to be most dangerous is truly something. How do you know? NY times?

And if your source of info is NY times, nuff said.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 15, 2020 at 7:57 am Reason: Overly personal comments redacted by moderator
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by nk15
I think there are about 20 total in development, I recommend getting at least 5, the Russian, the Chinese, a couple of Americans, and the UK one, just to be on the safe side...
Maybe I will. After you produce your medical credentials to make such a prescription! ;-)

Whether you get the vaccine or not, social distancing and other restrictions (mandatory use of masks, limits on numbers of customers, severe restrictions on international travel) will continue until governments are certain that the virus is no longer a significant threat.
"Governments" is not a monolithic sacred entity. It's directed by politicians who mostly have no clue, and are fallible. Governments contradict each other and have differing rules at various regions of a country. It may not continue or may not be continuing across all countries and regions.

Every adult should be able to figure that out for themselves.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 19, 2020 at 11:29 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:02 am
Suspended

Different countries will clear vaccines with the protocol that is in their countries. And I stated in my first post that I hold multiple passports. So the first proven one: I will be there. That is what's called chasing: not waiting for one country to clear it and depending on one system to get it.
Again, I am repeating my point again.
It is likely that China and Russia will be the first countries to approve their (locally engineered and developed Whole Virus) vaccines. However, you may have zero trust into the "Fake New York Times", however, I am have zero trust into the relevant public health/medicine authorities in China and Russia. Just because a CPC- or Kremlin- controlled agency is certifying that a vaccine is safe -> it doesn't mean anything to me. Hopefully, I do not have to explain to you how the protocols in China and Russia look like. It's only about power, face-safing, selling the vaccine to Africa etc.

Though I don't plan on getting the Russian vaccine, your statement declaring them to be most dangerous is truly something. How do you know? NY times?
My sources: Dr. Fauci, Prof. Christian Drosten; the danger of Whole Virus vaccines are well known in the scientific community. I am not a militant opponent of vaccines. However, if some recognized virus and vaccine experts are releasing very cautionary statements, I would listen to them.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 15, 2020 at 8:06 am Reason: Conform to edited version of quote
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
Not quite. The Russian vaccine is going to phase III trials in August. The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine went to phase III a month ago in Brazil.
This medical info website says their clinical trials are complete.

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/...vaccine-trial/

And this item says the civilian use by Aug 12 and mass production by September.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/...-august-a70858

Again, I am repeating my point again.
It is likely that China and Russia will be the first countries to approve their (locally engineered and developed Whole Virus) vaccines. However, you may have zero trust into the "Fake New York Times", however, I am have zero trust into the relevant public health/medicine authorities in China and Russia. Just because a CPC- or Kremlin- controlled agency is certifying that a vaccine is safe -> it doesn't mean anything to me. Hopefully, I do not have to explain to you how the protocols in China and Russia look like. It's only about power, face-safing, selling the vaccine to Africa etc.
I gotta point out: you are assuming a lot and wasting bandwidth. Just where did I say that I want to get the vaccine in China or Russia? In fact, I previously stated that I will give the Russian batch a miss.

It's about intent. It's about not sitting idle and hoping for the system to take care.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 19, 2020 at 11:30 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.