Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How long before lounge buffets are closed down? [Impacts on airline lounges]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

I'm in an AA Flagship lounge at the moment, where people are helping themselves to all manner of fresh food and drinks. It gets a bit messy, and I'm sure people touch things they shouldn't be touching. By contrast, on my inbound flight, the business class snack station was all wrapped up and stacked in a trolley. I imagine it can't be long until there's pressure to close down lounge buffets as well, or at least restock them with wrapped items. Which may be appreciated by certain passengers and end up in carry-on bags as inflight snacks...
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:32 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
No more free food at Costco!
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ned
That's the way it was at Sam's Club today. All samples were individually wrapped and nothing was out in the open.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:05 pm

These food vendors aren't thinking. Though it's primarily an airborne illness, coronavirus lives about a day on plastic surfaces, more than long enough to infect somebody. SARS lasted several days on surfaces. I'm much more bothered by jerks who wash their hands and don't dry them before handling bathroom door handles. Wet surfaces like that are much more friendly to bacteria and viruses, not to mention the ick factor.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by randian
I'm much more bothered by jerks who wash their hands and don't dry them before handling bathroom door handles.
Then I'd advise you not to use the mens room at the AA FL in JFK... the number of people who don't even wash their hands is unbelievable.
84fiero likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ned
It seems they have redeployed the people to cleaning the carts and the handles on the freezers
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Buffet food is always a risk. A lot of places do not have a separate holder for the utensils. Some places do but people still put them on top of the food after use. Then occasionally you have people who either use their hands to get the food or put the food on their hands.

Now, there is the added risk of the SARS-CoV-2 on the utensils.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
Setting the current coronavirus hysteria aside, self serve buffets in general are disgusting. I just got back from RC Club level chicago and was shocked by how many people taste food off their plates while in line, lick their fingers and proceed to touch the serving utensils for the next item. God knows what else or where else they have touched prior to coming into the lounge!!

I started using napkins prior to handling any ladles, tongs, etc.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:31 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Setting the current coronavirus hysteria aside, self serve buffets in general are disgusting. I just got back from RC Club level chicago and was shocked by how many people taste food off their plates while in line, lick their fingers and proceed to touch the serving utensils for the next item. God knows what else or where else they have touched prior to coming into the lounge!!

I'm a firm believer in Darwin, if it don't kill ya makes you stronger, what could that person in front of you have had, not they could have COVID19 a lot more risk for my parents and inlaws, but for me quarantine would be a major inconvenience, LOL
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by chipmaster
I'm a firm believer in Darwin, if it don't kill ya makes you stronger, what could that person in front of you have had, not they could have COVID19 a lot more risk for my parents and inlaws, but for me quarantine would be a major inconvenience, LOL
It's more a matter of hygeine for me. Knowingly touching things that could potentially have someone else's filth on it is just plain gross. I'm way more concerned with snot, spit, feces and pubic hair being on the handle of the tongs rather than COVID19.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I'm in an AA Flagship lounge at the moment, where people are helping themselves to all manner of fresh food and drinks. It gets a bit messy, and I'm sure people touch things they shouldn't be touching. By contrast, on my inbound flight, the business class snack station was all wrapped up and stacked in a trolley. I imagine it can't be long until there's pressure to close down lounge buffets as well, or at least restock them with wrapped items. Which may be appreciated by certain passengers and end up in carry-on bags as inflight snacks...
why should they be? If one is not comfortable you don’t have to partake. And this potential for contamination has been around since the days of the first buffet. It doesn’t get worse just because the public hysteria is off the charts. As soon as you touched the door knob to the lounge you have become contaminated.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: Eurobonus, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I imagine it can't be long until there's pressure to close down lounge buffets as well...
Already happened in Japan.
Passed by the ANA Lounge at Narita two weeks ago. They only served bottled water, canned beer and packaged rice balls.
To my joy though, the Noodle Bar was still in operation.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:08 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Funny my lobby check-in and restaurants had hand sanitizer all over the place for convenience and health. So what about the care for their best customers?

The lounge nothing at all, and some elites were eating the tasty nuggets and fries with their fingers. Maybe this is a plot by Marriott at my hotel to trim us, LOL
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:19 pm

This mimics my observation/experience, although the concerns were there long before this current threat. What is it about people that makes them want to start eating while standing at a buffet? It’s genuinely feral behaviour, and quite repulsive.
IMO, you are wise to take these precautions.

Originally Posted by vj_rama

Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Im surprised by this, too, and have been using a napkin to touch all lounge utensils and self-serve wine/drinks. I also appreciate the sanitizer stations found in most lounges and airports (if only just a pump bottle on the check-in/help desk).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.