FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Copa | ConnectMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles-751/)
-   -   Suspended Operation Extension to May? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles/2015777-suspended-operation-extension-may.html)

happychic Apr 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Suspended Operation Extension to May?

Hello!

I purchased tickets last year for elderly family members on Copa Airline. The itinerary is for ASU-PTY-LAX for early May. I know Copa suspended operations until April 21. I'd been waiting to see if they had announced anything for May yet. So far, no update from their site. I'm wondering if there's anyone in similar shoes, or if anyone had heard anything about their operation plans for May.

I would prefer to get a refund because I am not comfortable with my family traveling under current circumstances. This may be tricky as I used Chase points on Chase travel portal to buy these tickets. From what friends had told me, Copa had been pushing back and deferring doing refunds on cancelled flights. Copa had been pushing for future travel voucher instead.

Thanks for reading. Stay safe and be well.

pmarrsouth Apr 15, 2020 10:26 pm

They have just updated their suspension until 1st May

happychic Apr 16, 2020 3:55 am

I'm on their site and the suspended until date I see is May 15.

- Due to the Coronavirus crisis that affects many countries in our region our operations will be suspended until May 15th.

pmarrsouth Apr 16, 2020 6:50 am

Originally Posted by happychic (Post 32297955)
I'm on their site and the suspended until date I see is May 15.

I guess they posted May 1 by accident so last night :)

happychic Apr 16, 2020 3:59 pm

:) Now the game of getting the runaround between Chase and Copa Airline to get the refund in Chase points that I have used for this reservation...

AHC96 Apr 17, 2020 8:04 am

Passenger operations at PTY are schedule to resume on 22 April, but with Copa having so many planes parked at the airport I bet it will be a slow process.

YadiMolina Apr 20, 2020 12:57 pm

The order closing PTY to international arrivals has been extended for another 30 days, until May 23rd.

YadiMolina Apr 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Now June 1

This article (in spanish) suggests Copa will resume operations on June 1 with 10% capacity. Also includes an image of the fleet lined up in front of the new Terminal 2.

bkkth Apr 22, 2020 12:28 pm

I just booked a seat MVD to LAX on June 2nd. Here’s hoping!

klpicard Apr 23, 2020 9:17 am

Has anyone been successful at securing a refund (on a "non-refundable" fare) from Copa when their flight is cancelled? We are supposed to fly in May and would rather get a refund than a travel voucher as my work hours and pay have been cut due to coronavirus.

YadiMolina Apr 26, 2020 10:55 am

This report indicates the destinations and frequency of flights Copa is planning for once operations resume on June 1. 2 flights a day to SJO and BOG, nobody else more than 1, and about half of the destinations are less than daily.

KL808 Apr 27, 2020 11:40 am

Originally Posted by klpicard (Post 32318137)
Has anyone been successful at securing a refund (on a "non-refundable" fare) from Copa when their flight is cancelled? We are supposed to fly in May and would rather get a refund than a travel voucher as my work hours and pay have been cut due to coronavirus.

+1 here

I Dont want a travel voucher, I want full refund. Is it possible? Can anyone chime in if they will refund with huca and or pushback?

Have 2 flights originally booked for MAY 2020.

Thanks

imackie May 4, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by KL808 (Post 32328918)
+1 here

I Dont want a travel voucher, I want full refund. Is it possible? Can anyone chime in if they will refund with huca and or pushback?

Have 2 flights originally booked for MAY 2020.

Thanks

Received a full refund by mentioning DOT enforcement notice on the topic to Copa via email

happychic May 5, 2020 3:28 pm

I only got a refund of points to Chase/Expedia after I opened a DOT complaint and tweeted them. I had called them previously a few times and got nowhere. One of the last times I called them, I asked to speak to a supervisor. The person put me on hold for two hours then hung up on me.

YadiMolina May 15, 2020 7:58 am

no end in sight

This article in spanish suggests that the previously promoted June 1 date was a "rumor". Seems the airport bureaucracy isn't coordinating with the health ministry. The health authorities don't have a specific timeline for the airport to reopen, it's dependent on the parameters of covid in the country.

I have been looking into flights on the CM website, and they keep pushing back the first flights available. I don't see anything before June 17.

Now June 23... .and counting.
https://www.prensa.com/economia/pana...l-23-de-junio/