Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copa, PTY connection questions.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, Air Canada Aeroplan
I'll be travelling from YYZ-IAD-PTY-CUR with a over-night stopover in PTY. Staying at a hotel by the airport. My question is: is it safe to check my luggage all the way through to CUR, or is safer to check it to PTY and re-check in the morning for the last leg? Any advice is appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by csdyyz
My question is: is it safe to check my luggage all the way through to CUR, or is safer to check it to PTY and re-check in the morning for the last leg?
I don't have any direct experience with this, as I have never connected in PTY. And I don't know the CM policy.

But I will say that in a dozen years of regular flying in and out of PTY, I have never had any luggage losses. Also, in the carousel area, there are always dozens and dozens of bags taken off the belt and stashed to the side, accessible to anyone. I have glanced at the tags a few times, and I suspected those were connecting bags, as there seem to be way too many than just lost or misconnected bags. There are airline people about, but none seem to be specifically guarding the bags. Frankly, anyone that were so inclined could seemingly could just take one of their choosing. That they are unguarded, to me, is a testament that they are safe among passengers and workers, and possibly more safe than out of sight in the baggage handling area.

A call to Copa may give you the official policy on how your checked luggage would be handled on that layover. I would be very, very surprised if an agent could describe to you the security precautions for bags connecting overnight.
csdyyz likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
I have a friend who travelled BLL-AMS-PTY-TGU last weekend with an overnight connection in PTY. Her bags were tagged TGU and followed her all the way, with no problems whatsoever. She had toiletries and a fresh set of clothes in her hand luggage for the one night stay in PTY.
csdyyz likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by csdyyz
I'll be travelling from YYZ-IAD-PTY-CUR with a over-night stopover in PTY. Staying at a hotel by the airport. My question is: is it safe to check my luggage all the way through to CUR, or is safer to check it to PTY and re-check in the morning for the last leg? Any advice is appreciated.
I have had them move luggage to a connecting flight with a inbound delay giving me only a 15 minute connection so 15 hours is not likely to pose a problem with them.
csdyyz likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
Has anyone had an experience if you are connecting through PTY and dont want to check your bags all the way through? I would rather pickup my bag in PTY for my 15 hour overnight layover there than check it through.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by truptravels
Has anyone had an experience if you are connecting through PTY and dont want to check your bags all the way through? I would rather pickup my bag in PTY for my 15 hour overnight layover there than check it through.
I have had 3 overnight stops in PTY in 2017-18 and every time I checked my bags through to final destination. I have never had a problem with theft or the bags not arriving with me at the final destination. So if that is your concern, I would not worry. That said, it can be a hassle to get through immigration and customs in PTY depending on the time of day you arrive. 1 hour + is quite normal currently.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
A question, re access to the lounge. I arrived in to PTY in Biz class on Iberia, connecting straight onto a Copa flight to SJO in Business.

The guy at the desk refused me entry to the lounge, saying they don't allow access for biz class tickets. Found it a bit strange at the time, but knowing the lounge isn't that special I trotted off to the food court.

Was he correct?

(I'm doing a similar trip again soon, so just wanted to be aware of the actual rules this time around)
Old May 22, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Was your flight to SJO on IB codeshare? That might explain it, otherwise what he says makes no sense at all...

Copas website clearly states that you have access to Copa Clubs and *A lounges worldwide when flying in business class:
https://www.copaair.com/en/web/gs/business-class
Old May 22, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Milkman
Was your flight to SJO on IB codeshare? That might explain it, otherwise what he says makes no sense at all...

Copas website clearly states that you have access to Copa Clubs and *A lounges worldwide when flying in business class:
https://www.copaair.com/en/web/gs/business-class
The ticket was sold by Iberia as part of the itinerary, however it was a Copa flight number, earnt no miles for OW and I was surprised he was adamant I had no access.

Thought perhaps they had different levels of biz and didn't allow certain ticket classes.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:56 am

50 minutes for a scheduled connection too little?
I'm in business class and walk fast. Don't think I'll check a bag but if I did would that transfer be too tight for the bag?
Old May 25, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by whlinder
50 minutes for a scheduled connection too little?
I'm in business class and walk fast. Don't think I'll check a bag but if I did would that transfer be too tight for the bag?
Thats not a problem. Copa handles tonnes of connections like that every day.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:37 pm

A friend is just about to land in PTY (coming from US), and due to delays has had a 60min connection shortened to 30mins. Is this likely to be achieved?

from what I'm reading, he wont need to collect/recheck bags or go through security. Its just a case of deplaning and running to the next gate? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm wonder if his checked bags will also make it to the next flight (to MVD, Uruguay)
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
A friend is just about to land in PTY (coming from US), and due to delays has had a 60min connection shortened to 30mins. Is this likely to be achieved?
I've made 45 minute connections at PTY on CM-to-CM with bags.
Now if it's non-CM-to-CM that might be a bit more hairy. If your friend is a Star Alliance Gold I believe CM and *A tracks those connections.

I'm wonder if his checked bags will also make it to the next flight (to MVD, Uruguay)
That might be a bit luck of the draw, but he can check with the gate agent working his MVD flight. I've had them hold flights, but also had my luggage be delivered the next day (upon arrival insist on delivery, not picking up!).
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

from what I'm reading, he wont need to collect/recheck bags or go through security. Its just a case of deplaning and running to the next gate? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say he has a good chance. The tightest connection I've ever had in PTY I was on board (exit row) a bus gate our door opened when boarding was supposed to start for my next flight. I thought there would be no way. I made the connection easily. I am *G with CM, but I don' think it made a difference people after me made it as well. It really is pretty efficient for connections, but that was way closer then I'd ever like to do again.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:23 pm

Thanks all. Connection was made👍
I didn't get full details, but I see the connecting flight was 25 mins late departure, so maybe they held it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.