Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

International connection in IAH, immigration only 1h, 10 min connection.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2009, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Hello I was wondering if it was safe to have a 1h 10 min connection in IAH.

I would have to pass immigration as I would be coming from amsterdam.
I would also have to catch a plane to cancun and it is the last of the day.

Apart from any delays.... I see it as impractical but CO makes it bookable...

It would be on award ticket in BusinessFirst...

Also I would fly in at 15.45pm so maybe most of the rush would be over by then.

What do you guys think? How is immigration in IAH?

CO47/CO1064 AMS 1340 CUN 2110 IAH 764/73G 14h30m
Flight 1 of 2:
Flight Continental Airlines 47
From Amsterdam (AMS) Terminal
Departure Time 1340
To Houston Bush (IAH) Terminal E
Arrival Time 1745
Duration 11h05m
Meal LS
Aircraft Type 764

Flight 2 of 2:
Flight Continental Airlines 1064
From Houston Bush (IAH) Terminal E
Departure Time 1855
To Cancun (CUN) Terminal 3
Arrival Time 2110
Duration 2h15m
Meal S
Aircraft Type 73G

Thanks!

Last edited by italian7; Feb 1, 2009 at 8:22 am
Old Feb 1, 2009, 8:57 am
Original Poster

forgot to add...
I won't have any checked luggage.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:30 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I've only tried IAH immigration once at ~3pm. I waited about 30 minutes in line. So with only 70 minutes, I wouldn't do it because you need to be at the gate 15 minutes before the flight.

Hopefully others have more advice that can be helpful for you.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
You might make it....but I would manage expectations and be prepared to do an IAH overnight if things go badly.

I've had it go both ways clearing customs at IAH in the afternoons. Been a breeze, been very busy.

If it's OK for you to miss a half day of your trip (when is first flight out the next am?) then I'd do it. If that's really gonna burn you up inside, then don't.

Good luck!
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
First, they know you are coming so they may hold the plane, depending on how much the headwinds effect your arrival time. Second, grab a seat by the exit door. Third, know exactly where the exit is from immigration, and how to get to your gate without going through the TSA again, if that is even possible. Fourth, flag down one of those electric carts, have a $5 ready to give him. Fifth, make sure you ask for your boarding pass to CUN in Amsterdam. Six, get updated gate info to CUN on approach to IAH
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM
All of my immigration experiences in IAH have been very good - in, out in 30 min or less. They have a separate elite line for rescreening through security that has been very much enforced the times I've been through there, so that could make things easier (or harder) depending on your status.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: CO Gold
immigration at IAH is much better than most other airports , if you were trying this at LAX or MIA I would pretty much say you are toast

I used to clear it in 10 mins (when they allowed me to go through the US citizens line with my wife) but now it can easily take 30 mins since they force us to go through the regular visitors line

I think you are good to go but you have to hurry because after immigration you have to reclear the security checkpoints (there is no way to stay inside the sterile area )
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I will try to take an earlier flight.

I don't want to risk it!

^^
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, AA, DL
Time enough?

I have made it from South America thru IAH to Europe with 48 minutes between flights and time to spare, and having to recheck luggage before they started to send it thru if you had no domestic leg on the routing. It helps to be in the US citizen immigration side, but that will be the hangup if there is one.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA ExPlat
Immigration and customs at IAH is bipolar. Either you will have a short, happy time with them or it will be a long, angry wait. No way of telling since there are Latin American flights coming in all of the time and enough European and Asian/Middle Eastern flights to fill in the gaps. I normally would allow two or more hours to be on the safe side.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:58 pm

I think this subject would be a good candidate for inclusion in the FAQ. Anyone else?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
We assume you are a US or Canadian Citizen.
Otherwise, even residents of the US are now photo and fingerprinted.
Once you clear immigration, you go through customs then out and need to re-clear security.
I came through IAH last week and connected to California but it is my understanding that luggage that comes from outside the US and connects to outside US goes through without having to pick up. You and your carry on need to go through immigration AND customs.
The lines both in the US citizen side and the others were long. There is also a bit of walking to do when you arrive.
From the time I left the plane, went through immigration, my luggage was ready. I went through customs and had to re-check luggage and screen security again -- 1 hour.
This was on a Saturday arriving at 4:30 pm.
I would give myself more time.
since you are flying BF, you have lounge access to hang out and wait for the Cancun flight.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: CO
I had a 2:30 connection in IAH and it took me about 1:15 for immigration and customs. I only had time for a quick lunch and check email before boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.