Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New to CO: Differences between Series 8 and 8B award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Series 8:
Within Asia
SaverPass: Econ, 25K

Series 8B
Within North or South Asia -- or between North Asia and South Asia
SaverPass: Econ, 50K

So what's the difference between two awards? For my understanding, "Within Asia" equals "Within North or South Asia -- or between North Asia and South Asia". This really confuses me

Last edited by Xyzzy; May 11, 2008 at 2:41 pm Reason: Fixed typo
Old May 11, 2008, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The difference is usually which airlines the reward is valid on. And since they don't actually tell you in the description of the reward it is pretty hard to know what you're actually redeeming for. Even the interactive reward chart doesn't tell you which airlines/routes you would be able to use at the different levels.

CO has been promising to fix and clarify the charts for some time now, but it still has not materialized.
Old May 11, 2008, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
The difference is usually which airlines the reward is valid on. And since they don't actually tell you in the description of the reward it is pretty hard to know what you're actually redeeming for. Even the interactive reward chart doesn't tell you which airlines/routes you would be able to use at the different levels.

CO has been promising to fix and clarify the charts for some time now, but it still has not materialized.
If flights involve only CO+nw, it's 25K.
If there are KE, CZ flights, then 50K.
Am I right?
Old May 11, 2008, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by unis
If flights involve only CO+nw, it's 25K.
If there are KE, CZ flights, then 50K.
Am I right?
I have no idea; I just know why there are multiple charts. You'll probably need to call CO to find out more details on the exact differences. The fact that the Series 8 shows EasyPass and the 8b does not is a pretty good indication, but I wouldn't take that as the gospel.
Old May 11, 2008, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
I have no idea; I just know why there are multiple charts. You'll probably need to call CO to find out more details on the exact differences. The fact that the Series 8 shows EasyPass and the 8b does not is a pretty good indication, but I wouldn't take that as the gospel.
Series 8 may use CO/NW/KLM -- all other partner carriers fall under 8B.
Old May 12, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Series 8 may use CO/NW/KLM -- all other partner carriers fall under 8B.
Meaning NW flights? I don't know of any CO or KL flights within Asia (GUM on CoMike?). So therefore I'd assume this to mean travel is from/through NRT on NW (and possibly GUM)...?
Old May 12, 2008, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by crnk
Meaning NW flights? I don't know of any CO or KL flights within Asia (GUM on CoMike?). So therefore I'd assume this to mean travel is from/through NRT on NW (and possibly GUM)...?
I believe KL has a few tag-on flights within Asia, no? AF has at least one (SGN-BKK, then continuing to CDG).
Old May 12, 2008, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I believe KL has a few tag-on flights within Asia, no? AF has at least one (SGN-BKK, then continuing to CDG).
Can you ticket rewards on those, though?
Old May 12, 2008, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Can you ticket rewards on those, though?
I'm not sure. I think AF has 5th Freedom rights on SGN-BKK. Will have to fire up an online booking site and check.

Edited to Add: KVS shows that AF publishes fares between SGN & BKK. $282 for a roundtrip in biz (Z Fare) SGN-BKK. Not too bad.
Old May 12, 2008, 4:05 pm

Edited to Add: KVS shows that AF publishes fares between SGN & BKK. $282 for a roundtrip in biz (Z Fare) SGN-BKK. Not too bad.
I took that flight (BKK-SGN in J) in August '06. It is a quick up and down with little time for much else, but it was a decent flight. I would assume that it can be ticketed as a reward, but when paid J is so cheap it would be a poor use of miles. We picked up HAN-(BKK)-CDG on our way out of Vietnam and the tag-on was similar, though it that instance we were back on our RTW reward.
Old May 12, 2008, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I took that flight (BKK-SGN in J) in August '06. It is a quick up and down with little time for much else, but it was a decent flight. I would assume that it can be ticketed as a reward, but when paid J is so cheap it would be a poor use of miles. We picked up HAN-(BKK)-CDG on our way out of Vietnam and the tag-on was similar, though it that instance we were back on our RTW reward.
I was ticked to find out that I couldn't use KQ or RJ for my HKG-BKK segment in a little over a week. The KQ flight gets in too late to make my TG flight to FRA, and the RJ flight doesn't operate on the day I need to travel. I'll be sampling TG's regional biz on an A333 instead, HKG-HKT-BKK. There are truly some interesting tag-on flights throughout Asia on many carriers.

As for other odd routes, I'd like to snag a GRU/EZE-CPT/JNB at some point. Don't know why, but those routes have always appealed to me.
Old May 12, 2008, 4:36 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by unis
Series 8:
Within Asia
SaverPass: Econ, 25K

Series 8B
Within North or South Asia -- or between North Asia and South Asia
SaverPass: Econ, 50K

So what's the difference between two awards? For my understanding, "Within Asia" equals "Within North or South Asia -- or between North Asia and South Asia". This really confuses me
Hi unis, sorry for the confusion. Below are the differences between Series 8 and Series 8B.
  1. Series 8 is for travel within Asia on flights operated by Continental and Northwest. It's also for domestic flights within China operated by China Southern.
  2. Series 8B is for travel within Asia on flights operated by Korean Air and China Southern (except for flights within China).
You're right, sbm12, this is delayed. I don't have a good timeframe for when this will be done, partly because this is getting worked on amidst a number of other critical initiatives. As easy as this seems, it really is a lot of work.

Hi Anglo Large Clawed Otter, Air France and KLM do have a small handful of "tag" flights within Asia, but these are not yet considered part of our intra-Asia reward travel. We will check to see if our contract with them will allow for this, and if it does, we'll add them.
Old May 12, 2008, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Scott,

Can you also check on the KQ and EK HKG-BKK flights too (perhaps especially KQ since they're SkyTeam and all)?
Old May 13, 2008, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
(perhaps especially KQ since they're SkyTeam and all)?
Well, we can't redeem for any KQ flights yet, so their being a part of SkyTeam hasn't really helped all that much on that front.

Oh, and thanks CO Insider for the update on the reward chart efforts. I assumed it wasn't easy since it is still being worked on after so much time. But that won't stop me from tossing a gentle reminder out there every time someone asks what should be a pretty easy question to get from the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.