Wiki Posts
Search

Mistake in name question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Mistake in name question

So I'm flying to Madrid in a few weeks and the travel agent (in Spain, as someone in Spain is paying for the ticket and making the arrangements) entered my name wrong on the ticket with my last name listed as "Middle Name Last Name" so in the manifest I would be alphabetically listed under my middle name and my first name misspelled (leaving out one letter). The ticket was issued and paid for yesterday. Of course the travel agent is off over the weekend so nothing can be done to fix this till Monday. The ticket is in Y (combo of H and M fares), does anybody know if the travel agent be able to fix it on Monday? Is it worth it for me to try over the weekend? If the travel agent doesn't fix it, would I be able to use the ticket?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

As long as they are all your legal names and match some form of I'd you hold it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
So I'm flying to Madrid in a few weeks and the travel agent (in Spain, as someone in Spain is paying for the ticket and making the arrangements) entered my name wrong on the ticket with my last name listed as "Middle Name Last Name" so in the manifest I would be alphabetically listed under my middle name and my first name misspelled (leaving out one letter). The ticket was issued and paid for yesterday. Of course the travel agent is off over the weekend so nothing can be done to fix this till Monday. The ticket is in Y (combo of H and M fares), does anybody know if the travel agent be able to fix it on Monday? Is it worth it for me to try over the weekend? If the travel agent doesn't fix it, would I be able to use the ticket?
It's only on an off-chance on an off-day that this presents any problem that would prevent travel. Usually this kind of situation is no problem whatsoever as people travel under tickets issued in the same way as your ticket. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:02 am
RNE

The ticket is in Y (combo of H and M fares), does anybody know if the travel agent be able to fix it on Monday?
When you awake on Monday, calmly contact the travel agent and inform him or her of the error(s), regardless of how slight they may be. Let the agent decide if action should be taken, not us morons here. In the slight chance that there is a problem traveling on the ticket, you don't want to hear: "Why didn't you tell me your name was wrong?"

Is it worth it for me to try over the weekend?
No.

If the travel agent doesn't fix it, would I be able to use the ticket?
You will most likely have no problem. Still, you want to give the agent a chance to fix it if he or she so desires (and let him or her incur any change fees, natch).
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Well given that everyone seemed to think this would be no problem I called the elite desk and they fixed the name and corrected it and I got a new eticket with the corrected name. Sorry for clogging up the board with what turned out to be an easy problem to solve!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:46 am
RNE

Good. It's best to be proactive. ^

But the cause of the problem is not necessarily solved. If you expect the agent to book travel for you again, you may want to ensure he or she is aware of the error. You may not want to do so, however, if the correction will cause undue consternation. Your call.

In any case, enjoy your trip. Oddly, I have been to Spain (and Portugal) many times, all the coastal areas, but not the interior. Madrid is a glaring exception I need to ameliorate. We will be in Barcelona again in August 2011, if not sooner.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RNE
Good. It's best to be proactive. ^

But the cause of the problem is not necessarily solved. If you expect the agent to book travel for you again, you may want to ensure he or she is aware of the error. You may not want to do so, however, if the correction will cause undue consternation. Your call.

In any case, enjoy your trip. Oddly, I have been to Spain (and Portugal) many times, all the coastal areas, but not the interior. Madrid is a glaring exception I need to ameliorate. We will be in Barcelona again in August 2011, if not sooner.
Fortunately I am highly unlikely to have to deal with this travel agency again as this was a one time trip through them. Madrid is great, but Barcelona will always be my favorite city in Spain (I first wrote Spanish city, but Catalonians may be offended :-)) I am impressed with how easily CO dealt with this issue.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
This appears to be a spanish/latin thing. My mom had this happen TWICE to her when she bought tkts at the CO office in Buenos Aires.

I called for her and got it fixed.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Fortunately I am highly unlikely to have to deal with this travel agency again as this was a one time trip through them. Madrid is great, but Barcelona will always be my favorite city in Spain (I first wrote Spanish city, but Catalonians may be offended :-)) I am impressed with how easily CO dealt with this issue.
I loved Madrid, but Barcelona SO much more! Stayed at a gorgeous hotel called the H10 which was about 5 minutes from the beach, and was just an amazing experience. Too bad my Spanish stinks. I need to get back to Barcelona and SOON! (One thing Madrid had over Barcelona: Iberia's hub in Terminal 4 is the most gorgeous terminal I've ever been in!)
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
My wifes sister who lives in Brazil is sloppy about this. One time its her maiden name next time its her married name. Never had problem getting on flight. But the FF miles are another matter. I finally got her all her credits after sending in to OP. I have explained in detail that if she comes here the ticket must match her FF account.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by leiserom
My wifes sister who lives in Brazil is sloppy about this. One time its her maiden name next time its her married name. Never had problem getting on flight. But the FF miles are another matter. I finally got her all her credits after sending in to OP. I have explained in detail that if she comes here the ticket must match her FF account.
Yes I think it I had not gotten CO to change it with my last name wrong I might have had difficulty getting miles (or recognized elite status) on the flight. I've had some variation in whether my middle name is listed or not as part of my first name and no problem with getting miles or elite status recognized, but I think having a different last name would be difficult.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I just flew domestic with my daughter, and put the wrong last name on her ticket. (I thought she'd completely gone back to her maiden name after her divorce- turns out she hadn't changed over her DL yet.) At check-in they didn't seem to mind, but told us we might have trouble with TSA, could be facing a complete search. At security he noticed the unusual first name, and then seemed a bit overwhelmed by her ample cleavage. (I am seriously not be sarcastic or condescending. Just reporting the facts) Different last names were not noticed.

But... again- this was domestic- no passport control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.