FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Stealth upgrade for VIPs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/950872-stealth-upgrade-vips.html)

octopic May 5, 09 12:24 pm

Stealth upgrade for VIPs?
 
I was on a IAH-DCA flight this morning and there was a US Senator on board. He was seated up front, and I ended up one row in front of his staffer in the back. I joked with her about how only the senator got to sit up front and she remarked that he had been upgraded, but that there hadn't been room for her. Curious, I checked the PDA site and the Senator's name and set number were not listed under the people who had been upgraded. I'm just curious if there is an official VIP upgrade policy, or if this is something done under the table. I'm not complaining, just curious.

On another note, after pushing back from the gate, despite there being about 30 planes waiting, we went straight to the runway and took off. I guess there are some advantages to having a VIP on board.

Babu May 5, 09 12:29 pm

Is it possible the senator was paid first, and therefore didn't show up on the upgrade list?

sfogate May 5, 09 12:29 pm

Most Senators are heavy Elites. CO's policy changes from time to time depending on the political needs of CO. Once upon a time we were told to never, ever upgrade for free any politician. His aide probably couldn't get upgrade on his status due to a full F cabin.

belynch May 5, 09 12:32 pm


Originally Posted by sfogate (Post 11698701)
never, ever upgrade for free any politician.

Yes, that would run afoul of a issues that would put the EO and CO in a potentially bad spot.

FlyingHoustonian May 5, 09 12:41 pm

Last summer I flew IAH-DCA Ron Paul got upgraded into the seat next to mine. I presume he is a fflyer but I saw him get upgraded at the podium before boarding at IAH.

I'll presume you saw John Cornyn, the junior senator from Texas?

Ciao,
FH

octopic May 5, 09 1:16 pm


Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian (Post 11698789)
I'll presume you saw John Cornyn, the junior senator from Texas?

It wasn't Cornyn. I'm pretty sure this person doesn't have status on CO as most of their 2008 flying was not commercial (that's a big hint as to who it was). Also, their aide said that they were "upgraded", which implies (at least to me) that it wasn't a paid F ticket.

Steph3n May 5, 09 1:18 pm


Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian (Post 11698789)
Last summer I flew IAH-DCA Ron Paul got upgraded into the seat next to mine. I presume he is a fflyer but I saw him get upgraded at the podium before boarding at IAH.

I'll presume you saw John Cornyn, the junior senator from Texas?

Ciao,
FH

Ron Paul flies CO regularly, he is an elite with them. I have see him in the IAH Terminal A PC a few times when he was taking a NW flight.

vatraveler May 5, 09 1:18 pm

The only time I rode beside a senator on CO, we were both in Y.

trm2 May 5, 09 1:24 pm


Originally Posted by octopic (Post 11699026)
It wasn't Cornyn. I'm pretty sure this person doesn't have status on CO as most of their 2008 flying was not commercial (that's a big hint as to who it was). Also, their aide said that they were "upgraded", which implies (at least to me) that it wasn't a paid F ticket.

I heard the FAs on my IAH-CLE flight this morning talking about him. You are correct, I would bet he didn't do ANY commercial flying in the first 10 months of last year.

Bookexp May 5, 09 1:40 pm

Is this senator from Arizona?

Hartmann May 5, 09 1:53 pm

Why are we playing "Guess the Senator"? Is their identity protected or something? :rolleyes:

Steph3n May 5, 09 1:54 pm


Originally Posted by Hartmann (Post 11699253)
Why are we playing "Guess the Senator"? Is their identity protected or something? :rolleyes:

natural secretion. I mean....national secret? wayoverused.

cruisr May 5, 09 1:55 pm

I've flown with LH Senators and there was no special treatment;) Maybe when CO joins *A there will be.

Centurion May 5, 09 2:00 pm

ALL OF YOU HAVE NO CLUE. Special phone numbers, special customer service agents, special service all arround, that go far beyond upgrades. Without attacking anyone I can not tell you disapointed I am that all of you know so little about Special Services. TWA was the master and the best but they are gone.

motytrah May 5, 09 2:33 pm


Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 11699306)
ALL OF YOU HAVE NO CLUE. Special phone numbers, special customer service agents, special service all arround, that go far beyond upgrades. Without attacking anyone I can not tell you disapointed I am that all of you know so little about Special Services. TWA was the master and the best but they are gone.

ANA is the master of that now. Station manager meets you at the jetway, escorts to and from everywhere, special tags, international upgrades, the works.

Of course, all the special phone numbers in the world didn't help Ted Kennedy when he ended up on the TSA watch list by accident. :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:43 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.