Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

If UA/CO merge, what happens to UA Intl' First and E+?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If UA/CO merge, what happens to UA Intl' First and E+?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy If UA/CO merge, what happens to UA Intl' First and E+?

Slightly random question. What would happen to UA's Intl' First product and E+ if CO and UA merged (or UA filed for Chapter 7 and was liquidated)? Would CO install E+ on it's aircraft? What about UA's Intl' 3-class config? Would CO add the Intl' F product to it's fleet or do away with UA's config? What about the domestically configured 777's? Would CO turn them into Intl' version? Would they make the 752's Intl' also? What would CO do with the UA 747's? Was reading through past merger speculation threads and was not able to find anything. I am really hoping to get some good opinions/ideas about what would happen. Just realized (although I'm sure they've thought about it inside the company) that no one has really talked about it. CO would go away from it's all Boeing fleet so what would happen? Would CO order new a/c to replace UA's (considering they have NONE on order and have the oldest fleet) or rather refurbish them? Would the a/c receive LiveTV or what? Answers are greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CLEtraveller23
Answers are greatly appreciated.
None of us actually know the answers to any of these questions.

My guess is that the 3-cabin environment would stay on limited routes. Not so sure about E+; it would depend quite a bit on the circumstances of the change in ownership.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
None of us actually know the answers to any of these questions.
Right, and it's such a hypothetical that the discussion (more like baseless speculation) probably isn't worth the bandwidth it's printed on. Maybe more appropriate for airliners.net.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 7:05 am

I certainly don't think it is "baseless" speculation. It was a real possibility at one time and, if "things" change, may be in the future.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JetAway
I certainly don't think it is "baseless" speculation. It was a real possibility at one time and, if "things" change, may be in the future.
I agree rumors about a merger have popped up, but I do think that discussing the future of UA Int'l F and E+ would be purely speculative since there is absolutely no way of knowing on what basis the merger might occur (e.g. CO and UA could merge into a new "United Airlines" with all the CO fleet converted to UA specs. Not likely perhaps, but just as speculative as anything else).
Old Apr 23, 2009, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Right, and it's such a hypothetical that the discussion (more like baseless speculation) probably isn't worth the bandwidth it's printed on. Maybe more appropriate for airliners.net.

Baseless speculation has much less of a place than it did several months ago when it looked like a CO/UA deal was all but done. If goofy speculation has become the daily norm, I'll go start that thread about CO partnering with VS to launch CO Galactic.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: MYOB
[QUOTE=CLEtraveller23;11628754]Slightly random question. What would happen to UA's Intl' First product and E+ if CO and UA merged (or UA filed for Chapter 7 and was liquidated)? QUOTE]

One thing is certain, there is a GREAT difference between what would happen in a merger vs Chapter 7. Chpater 7 would likely not involve any non Boeing aircraft.

With all that said. The fat lady is still probably a long ways off from singing.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
If goofy speculation has become the daily norm, I'll go start that thread about CO partnering with VS to launch CO Galactic.

Please, not another thread....

Meantime, if you want idle speculation, how about:

1) VS & BD get acquired by LH as their UK division / hub

2) the US Government bows to international pressure, ( it figures it can't pay its bail out debts and has to yield in some areas on Free Trade ) and allows majority foreign ownership of US carriers

3) rather than combine, the ailing UA & CO become operating divisions of LH

So we all get 3+ class international flights operated by a mix including 747-8I's....

PS - is VS connected to Galactic in any way apart from the Virgin brand name?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardd
Please, not another thread....

Meantime, if you want idle speculation, how about:

1) VS & BD get acquired by LH as their UK division / hub

2) the US Government bows to international pressure, ( it figures it can't pay its bail out debts and has to yield in some areas on Free Trade ) and allows majority foreign ownership of US carriers

3) rather than combine, the ailing UA & CO become operating divisions of LH

So we all get 3+ class international flights operated by a mix including 747-8I's....

PS - is VS connected to Galactic in any way apart from the Virgin brand name?
Why stop there?

Why not have Ryanair of Ireland acquire PrivatAir of Switzerland and form a new entity known as PrivatRyanair...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:47 am

The value of threads like this to me, as someone who flies both CO & UA, is to make clear to CO management (through CO Insider and any others) the importance of UA features such as E+ that we hope would be continued in a merged entity. Perhaps this thread should be combined with similar ones but I don't understand the efforts of some posters to cut off all discussion of this issue through snarky comments and condescending remarks. If the topic doesn't interest you, don't read it and move on.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The value of threads like this to me, as someone who flies both CO & UA, is to make clear to CO management (through CO Insider and any others) the importance of UA features such as E+ that we hope would be continued in a merged entity. Perhaps this thread should be combined with similar ones but I don't understand the efforts of some posters to cut off all discussion of this issue through snarky comments and condescending remarks. If the topic doesn't interest you, don't read it and move on.
I think it's safe to say that no one on this forum is more known for being an advocate of + than me.

I agree that we should constantly remind CO management how important this is to customers.

I think the only issue here is the premise of what would happen should a merger take place. Sure E+ is terrific, but since the terms of a potential merger are unknowable, there are too many possibilities to discuss cogently.

Now, I think a thread entitled something like "What features of UA Do You Think CO Should Adopt/Keep in Case of a Merger" would be an easier premise to wrap our fingers around.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:54 am
Suspended

OK so lets discuss what might be if by chance .000000000000001% the US Govt allows a Foreign Carrier to own 100% of a US Carrier. After all, according to You anyting is possible so id like to be ready for anything, of cause you have the option of not taking part inthat discussion or even reading it
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
CO and UA could merge into a new "United Airlines" with all the CO fleet converted to UA specs. Not likely perhaps, but just as speculative as anything else
Let's hope this doesn't happen.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhomnick
Let's hope this doesn't happen.
Why not?

Do you really prefer CO E- to UA E+?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Why not?

Do you really prefer CO E- to UA E+?
No BUT why do you think only E+ &/or PE will come out of it. There will be tons of bad things also. No way will a combo result in only those things that are good for the Customer to be kept.

Take DL/NW the NW passengers are losing alot of what they had that was good and the DL arent getting that much out of it that is beneficial to them program wise.

AA/TW saw TW Lifetime Club members get a couple of yrs before losing their Membership etc etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.