Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was this delay CO's fault?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2006, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Was this delay CO's fault?

Last night I was flying from MEM to SLC via IAH. Normally I fly NW via MSP but for some reason, there was no (late) evening flight from MSP to SLC last night so I chose CO. At the MEM airport, my flight CO2794 was about 90 mins late. I think the plane was coming from EWR. Anyway, I'm not sure but it was probably a weather delay. I have absolutely no problem with that and understand these things happen. I spoke with the GA and said that it looked like I was going to miss my connection to CO2702. I was told "don't worry, that flight is not leaving IAH until after 2200 due to equipment or crew issues" (scheduled to leave at 2110). I said "are you sure? I don't want to get stuck in IAH and would just as soon not go if there's a chance that I'm going to miss the connection". The GA replied "absolutely, you'll be fine". I said "are you positive as it is ok if I don't go? My ticket is refundable and I have to be back in MEM Sunday night so if you think it'll be a problem, just tell me." The GA said "I'm sure it will be ok." So CO2794 leaves about 90 mins late and when I get off in IAH at about 2150 and check the monitors, CO2702 left at 2109, 1 minute early. So now I go over to the GA and explain what has happened and ask about a hotel room. "Sorry, it is a weather delay and you are on your own." So I say "but I would never even have come here if I hadn't been assured by CO that I would make the connection. I would have just stayed in MEM." GA says basically "too bad, so sad."
Now, I fly enough to know that things happen and that is fine. That's why I specifically asked in MEM if I should even bother going. I know that the GA in MEM does not control operations and that times can change. However, if the GA in MEM had said that there was even a slight chance that I'd miss the connection, then it would all be on me to go or not go and take my chances if I do go. When the GA is looking at the computer and repeatedly assuring me that my connection is going to leave late and that my trip wouldn't be in vain, then doesn't CO bear some responsibility? I'm not a OnePass member but I am a Plat with NW. That apparently counted for nothing. I know that CO in IAH could not at that moment verify what I was telling them so I didn't expect much right then but feel they should reimburse me for the hotel.
So, two questions:
1. Would you hold CO responsible in this situation or should I just play the patsy and roll-over?
2. Any 800# or name & address that I can let CO know that the GA in MEM should be made aware that they should not be promising things they can't control?
Of course, from CO's Contract of Carriage:
No employee, agent or representative of CO is authorized to bind CO by any flight information statement. So I guess they can pretty much say whatever they want and then just snicker behind your back at your misfortune? Nice job of taking care of the customer.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
1-800-We-Care2
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold;DL GM
Customer Care, unlikely but not impossible

This exact thing happened to me last year at the same airport (MEM), and although I really like the CO express staff, I was livid when I arrived in IAH w/o a flight.

I know you are aware of the "trip-in-vain" where you turn around for just about any reason and your ticket is refunded (even a non-ref) perhaps with some restrictions. But with your late arrival in IAH you probably had no MEM flight left to turn around to.

You can call We Care, but usually they will be helpless and you will be saddened, by spending time with them. I was assured at the DO last weekend, that Customer Care is striving to actually be empowered to "think out of the box" on these issues, but I would be amazed if that worked.

As a last resort, when in MEM, ask for Phil at the CO counter. He is a supervisor, not the station mgr, and I really think if you can find him (he is usually on the ramp or in the back, never talks with customers unless someone is out sick) he will be sympathetic. He seems like a bear, but has always been nice to me. I also think he will respect any Plat, NW or CO, just be considerate, as you were in your post.

Lastly, send me a PM and let me know what happens.
Good Luck
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:44 pm

This is an interesting case. If in fact the orginal delay was no weather, although a fri pm out of ewr is going to be delayed by volume even on a clear day, then the story becomes even more interesting. Cleary, CO should enough on top of their own operations to give the right answers. And, yes, mistakes can be made.

Call 800# or email kellener someone here will give you address. Also, wht do you want? I think you are at minimun entitled to a full refund for the whole ticket assuming you actualy satyed the night in IAH and never made it to SLC. You might ask for but probably won't get the nights hotel costs.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:29 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Sorry - There were massive weather delays Friday at EWR - almost 2 hours in & out in the afternoon.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 7:47 am

Yes, I try not to make statements unless I'm sure they're true i.e.: Sure they'll hold the plane for you. Only thing I can think of in the GA's defense it that maybe according to flight info the plane was delayed but, the delay was changed due to swapping/fixing a plane or re-crewing. I've gone from no delay to hours delay to 15 minutes late in the end.

In the end I think that you have a valid enough case to have your room paid for just because the good will it fosters is worth a lot more money than a hotel room. But what do I know.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:52 am

First of all, I would like to commend you for the overall attitude of your post. I sensed that you were truly objective and understanding and are just trying to get what you fairly deserve. I also believe that the conversation between you and the GA in MEM occurred as you said.

But I don't think that CO will or should compensate you for your hotel in IAH. Because the conversation with the GA in MEM was verbal, I don't think CO is actually responsible for the missed connection. If CO were to compensate you based on your recollection of the conversation, they would open themselves to many, many passengers requesting and expecting to get compensation for hotel rooms.

Think about the discussions that would happen right here on FT. "If you miss a connection you should just tell CO that the GA or ticket counter agent (or whoever) told me . . . ." I can see it now.

So while I think you probably deserve it, I don't think CO should open that can of worms. Sorry. JMO
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SlickRick
First of all, I would like to commend you for the overall attitude of your post. I sensed that you were truly objective and understanding and are just trying to get what you fairly deserve. I also believe that the conversation between you and the GA in MEM occurred as you said.

But I don't think that CO will or should compensate you for your hotel in IAH. Because the conversation with the GA in MEM was verbal, I don't think CO is actually responsible for the missed connection. If CO were to compensate you based on your recollection of the conversation, they would open themselves to many, many passengers requesting and expecting to get compensation for hotel rooms.

Think about the discussions that would happen right here on FT. "If you miss a connection you should just tell CO that the GA or ticket counter agent (or whoever) told me . . . ." I can see it now.

So while I think you probably deserve it, I don't think CO should open that can of worms. Sorry. JMO
Wow! I am surprised that the agent in MEM said "You're fine!" My experience with CO is that they will be very honest with you. In SAT, they would say that the plane is delayed due to weather and, therefore, if you miss your connection in IAH, we will NOT provide a hotel. They would say it nicely, but it was REAL clear. The agent in MEM should have known that they might have substituted another crew/plane in IAH and, therefore, you might miss the flight.

I would definitely ask CO to follow up on this complaint. Sounds like the agent needs some remedial training.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL - Plat Medlln
I had a similar situation with a connection at IAH. Instead of relying on just the GA, I called the Elite reservation desk and asked them to make a note in my record that I was told this BEFORE the initial flight. When I got to IAH, my flight had left. I filed a complaint with customer care and my hotel for the evening was refunded. Get as much as you can in writing. The Elite reservationists are GREAT.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I had a similar situation at YYZ (about the worst CO staff systemwide there)...I was assured over and over my flight would be fine and my connection was sufficiently delayed. I tried to get FIMed to NWA (which *is* something they do there, even when delays are wx related), but with my luck the gate agent was so clueless he didn't know how to contact NW (call their gate) to confirm space for me. It was easier for him to sell me on taking the original trip than make an effort to get me on an alternate flight. I was a sucker for letting him sell me.

Needless to say, I slept on the floor at EWR that night. CO was not responsible for getting me a hotel room, nor was there one to be had. However, it was a lesson learned and next time either I get FIMed, or I get rebooked for the next morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.