Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Larry Kellner called me today RE: downsizing of First Class on 500's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum

I sent a quick email off to Larry Kellner today at the urging of a customer service representative in Tampa. I sent it off at at 3:46pm EST and received a call back from him at 3:55pm!

My email brought up the fact that the 737-500 was going from 10 seats to 6 seats in the markets I fly alot (DCA-IAH, IAH-SNA and DCA-CHI) and that I joined onepass for the 'free unlimited' upgrades years back when I became elite and now they are deminishing.

He explained....

1) There will be six seats until late summer when they will be reconfigured due to the closet to eight seats. ^
2) Even though many of the seat maps only say six, dont be surprised if day off it will have 10 seats - they are doing this so they dont oversell first.
3) They are looking closely at DCA-IAH, EWR-CHI and DCA-SNA - all high rev markets and he said we would see many more 700's in this market.

Needless to say I was very impressed by his quick response. I am sure he does not have to call everyone but it sure makes me feel better that Continental is listening.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime PC Member
I think his actions are the reason so many of us are attending the Big Do on April 2. I am impressed by the number of FT's going and very much look forward to our meeting with the CO brass.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:23 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Loews Gold, Marriott Gold, etc. etc. etc
I was wondering if this was going to be the case as well.

There's a lot of 737-700s operating various leisure routes, and a new higher-capacity 737-500 with less F seats might be better suited for these, especially to the lighter Caribbean, certain Florida, and low-yield destinations throughout the United States. The -500 has near-transcontinental range, so that wouldn't be an issue, and the -700 would be a major improvement over the -500 both in terms of EUA availability and quality of the inflight "hardware" on major business travel routes.

Larry is great with the responses. I can't help but be reassured when the CEO of your carrier of choice takes so much time to give thoughtful, fast answers to the emails of concerned passengers.

Congratulations to both Continental and the employee groups for being able to come to the table and agree in a civil manner on an appropriate wage/benefit cut package. As passengers we are grateful that the industry-leading product will not suffer, and are also looking forward to the continued growth that this plan will foster.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by CODC10
I was wondering if this was going to be the case as well.

There's a lot of 737-700s operating various leisure routes, and a new higher-capacity 737-500 with less F seats might be better suited for these, especially to the lighter Caribbean, certain Florida, and low-yield destinations throughout the United States. The -500 has near-transcontinental range, so that wouldn't be an issue, and the -700 would be a major improvement over the -500 both in terms of EUA availability and quality of the inflight "hardware" on major business travel routes.

Larry is great with the responses. I can't help but be reassured when the CEO of your carrier of choice takes so much time to give thoughtful, fast answers to the emails of concerned passengers.

Congratulations to both Continental and the employee groups for being able to come to the table and agree in a civil manner on an appropriate wage/benefit cut package. As passengers we are grateful that the industry-leading product will not suffer, and are also looking forward to the continued growth that this plan will foster.
Here Here!

^ ^
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by CODC10
I can't help but be reassured when the CEO of your carrier of choice takes so much time to give thoughtful, fast answers to the emails of concerned passengers.
Especially on a day like today when so much hung in the balance. If negotiations had broken off in the final hours??? Who knows, we may all have been looking for new preffered carriers!

Last edited by RoboBR; Feb 28, 2005 at 7:44 pm
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Maybe it was actually Bob from Accounting.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:48 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by dcaflyer1
I sent a quick email off to Larry Kellner today at the urging of a customer service representative in Tampa. I sent it off at at 3:46pm EST and received a call back from him at 3:55pm!
Wow! Big Larry actually took the time to call?! ^ ^

1) There will be six seats until late summer when they will be reconfigured due to the closet to eight seats. ^
Still wondering why they are doing this? Is it so they will have two more seats during the summer season? If so, does the revenue generated actually justify the additional reconfig. (On that note, perhaps the reconfig is just tagged on as an extra couple of hours during a checkup)

2) Even though many of the seat maps only say six, dont be surprised if day off it will have 10 seats - they are doing this so they dont oversell first.
Okay, whatever, will there be a way to tell what config the plane will have via co.com/expertflyer, or will we have to call in? (On that note, will the agents know what the difference is?)

3) They are looking closely at DCA-IAH, EWR-CHI and DCA-SNA - all high rev markets and he said we would see many more 700's in this market.
That's good I guess. Wonder where the 735s are going?

Needless to say I was very impressed by his quick response. I am sure he does not have to call everyone but it sure makes me feel better that Continental is listening.
^
Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That's good I guess. Wonder where the 735s are going?
I wonder how much time is left on the leases for these?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by RoboBR
Especially on a day like today when so much hung in the balance. If negotiations had broken off in the final hours??? Who knows, we may all have been looking for new preffered carriers!
Yeah, ominous day to get a call from him.

My bet is any other day it would tough to get a call back. He just finished up a huge deadline that's been his focus for months, and prob. had not much else to do today now that it's wrapped up...
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I wonder how much time is left on the leases for these?
Quite a while, I would imagine. They're not that old. I was on one the other day, and peaked at the airworthiness certificate dated 1997.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Let's Go
I think his actions are the reason so many of us are attending the Big Do on April 2. I am impressed by the number of FT's going and very much look forward to our meeting with the CO brass.

I think his actions are the reason I'm out of here in the next month or so unless he gets this non-EUA crap straightened out fast. I don't care how many seats are in F if I am not in one of them.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 8:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Joey
I think his actions are the reason I'm out of here in the next month or so unless he gets this non-EUA crap straightened out fast. I don't care how many seats are in F if I am not in one of them.
the best way to be in one of them is to pay for one of them. do you think you will have more luck paying for coach and sitting in first on another carrier?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
the best way to be in one of them is to pay for one of them. do you think you will have more luck paying for coach and sitting in first on another carrier?

Thank you for stating the obvious, one of your most endearing traits.

And to answer your question, based on the the sadly unacknowledged by CO, but blatantly obvious, changes to the non-EUA system, specifically, and Elite non-upgrades, in general, as gleaned from anecdotal evidence here on FT, American Airlines-- I would (will?) be ExPlat in 5 months.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:41 am

Programs: MM - GOLD, HH, Mariott
I'll be right behind you in leaving. I really don't think it matters anymore what elite level you are but rather the fare you paid. I fly EWR - ORD - EWR every other week and last year I was UG every time except once. This year I can't get an UG and I'm Plat for the last 5 years and this year as well. On the return this last Sun. I was in the back with at least 3 other Plats who also have noticed a change in UG. Being Plat does not appear to have any benefits since Larry took over as he was a bottom line guy. I'm almost silver for next year and if this trend continues, it's time to find another airline.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
Yes, I do. On AA, as a plat (mid-level elite), I'm 6/6 on upgrades this year. On CO, as a plat (top-tier elite), I'm 2/6 this year. Sure, I have to pay for some of the upgrades on AA, but at least they're there when I want them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.