Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is standby possible/permitted for Int'l departure to US - CPH-EWR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,

Is it possible to go standby from an international city returning to US? I have a ticketed award itinerary on AF from CPH-CDG-EWR, on CO miles. After reading many threads on FT, I am not comfortable with my 1 hr. 20 min. layover at CDG. Currently, there are no award seats available on the direct CO flight from CPH-EWR. I was wondering, when I get to CPH, could I ask to be put on standby for the CO CPH-EWR flight?

I am skeptical this is permitted, especially since at CPH, I don't believe there is a designated CO checking counter. I am not sure, but I think check in at CPH is for all airlines, and not airline specific as in US airports.

Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 2:58 pm

More than likely this won't pan out for you. CO in CPH will have a ticket counter across from the check-in but it will most likely be staffed by a handling company. If it's like the handling company they use at EDI they will have very little desire to or knowledge of how to change your award ticket....especially one that starts with AF metal. I'd wager that anything you get done to make the direct CO flight will have to be engineered by CO agents in the US over the phone. The handling company agents are usually able to type just enough key strokes to get you checked in for the flight. Anything outside of that and they are usually on the phone to a help desk type of set-up for guidance. The only exception may be if your AF flight is certain to result in a misconnection in CDG. In that case I could see them getting the aforementioned help desk to rebook you on the nonstop flight.

Regarding CDG, I have read a lot of reports suggesting AF is pretty decent at shuffling people around to make short time connections. Chances are you will make that flight to EWR - just not likely to have a lot of time to spare.

Last edited by allergictocoach; Jul 30, 2009 at 3:06 pm
Old Jul 30, 2009, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, I believe that you can waitlist now for the non-stop reward flight since you have confirmed seats on the route. They might be able to clear you into the non-stop flight prior to the day of departure.

On the day of departure I think that your chances are pretty slim.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your ticket is for flights on Air France. You can't just stand by for flights on another airline, even on domestic flights. (Not to mention that generally there is no standby on international revenue tickets in the first place.) Your ticket would have to be reissued. I think the odds that the check-in staff at CPH would be willing/able to do this are less than slim. As sbm12 mentioned, waitlist for the nonstop, and let Continental reservations handle the reissuance as appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.