Search

Upgrade Success on Award Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Global Services
Upgrade Success on Award Ticket?

Hi all...

Just wanted to see if there have been any success stories on upgrading a YN fare (award tickets). I know CO's policy is not to upgrade award tickets, but I also know that sometimes, if there is availability, there are no other elites waiting for upgrades and the gate agents are in a good mood, it has been known to happen. My husband and I are both platinum and thought if we're not taking seats from anyone else, it wouldn't hurt to ask, right?

Any success stories or advice?

Thanks!

EWRGirl
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by EWRGirl
Hi all...

Just wanted to see if there have been any success stories on upgrading a YN fare (award tickets). I know CO's policy is not to upgrade award tickets, but I also know that sometimes, if there is availability, there are no other elites waiting for upgrades and the gate agents are in a good mood, it has been known to happen. My husband and I are both platinum and thought if we're not taking seats from anyone else, it wouldn't hurt to ask, right?

Thanks!

EWRGirl
Generally speaking, no. Upgrades are not possible on reward tickets. I have heard of one or two opups but those are extremely rare.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Agree with Mackieman. Except for the elusive Op-Up you will not get an upgrade. Period.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very unlikely for upgrade, but you can always try to redeem for a first class award. The standard fc reward is the same price as the yn easypass coach award. If no standard f reward availability but there is standard Y avail (I'm guessing there isn't now) you can waitlist for F. Keep your eye on the flights, plats get free award redeposits/changes though you will get hit with a close-in booking fee if you change the type of award, IIRC.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I had a situation where I received an op-up on a flight EWR-DUB and my SO that I booked a reward ticket for also received the op-up to BF. This is the only time that I have ever experienced this.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Global Services
Thanks all, appreciate the info.

EWRGirl
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by EWRGirl
Hi all...

Thanks!

EWRGirl
It's not CO "policy," it's not upgradable per their rules. I would say your chance are somewhere between nil and next to nil. That said, it can't hurt to ask (especially if F is wide open).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.