Search

East Bay Do 4: Berkeley - 7pm, Sun, March 8, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
East Bay Do 4: Berkeley - 7pm, Sun, March 8, 2009

Hey FTers!

Edit: The venue and date have been updated to Jayakarta on March 8; please note the new details below!

Wow, it's been waaaaaaaay too long since the last East Bay DO. It's my fault, of course, since I've been too busy with so many other things... but really, that's no excuse, and so to make it up to you, it's time for Yet Another Semi-Random East Bay DO! (This time, with extra DO!) You've got more than a month to prepare, so you have no excuse not to be there, except, of course, for all those excuses you have to not be there.

As before, we're continuing our tour of Pan-Asian cuisine... This time, we're really serious about the "southeast" in "southeast Asia," so we're going for some lovely Indonesian fare.

You are cordially invited to join us for EBDo4 at Jayakarta in central Berkeley on Sunday, March 8 at 7pm!

As with previous EBDos, our goal is to shun the mundane and feast on the more "travel-worthy" cuisines here in our epicurian playground, while still keeping a sharp focus on accessibility (so you can find it) and affordability (so you want to find it).

Jayakarta is located at 2026 University Ave. in central Berkeley, just west of Shattuck and conveniently away from the highest concentration of downtown Berkeley bums (who are not as colorful or amusing as the Telegraph bums, anyway ). It is only a few blocks away from the downtown Berkeley BART station, for those who enjoy the unique bouquet of smells available on public transportation. For drivers, some street parking is available on University, Milvia, or other nearby cross-streets; meters are free all day on Sundays.

Jayakarta specializes in Indonesian cuisine, which has influences from many other southeast Asian cuisines yet is itself quite unique. Although their website is horrendous, their food is excellent. Their menu is available online if you want to preview the experience - it even includes prices, if you need to find sufficient change under your couch cushions.

So, you've got 34 days to plan - plenty of time for a crafty FTer who has some miles or free-ticket vouchers (or gasoline) to burn! RSVP as soon as you can, so that we can estimate our group size and make reservations, if necessary.

See you there!*

-- Your organizers, mahasamatman and cepheid*
* I reserve the right to bail at the last minute if there is stupendous snow in Tahoe.

(The East Bay DO series of FT gatherings is dedicated to sampling the best ethnic cuisine in the East Bay region of the San Francisco Greater Metropolitan Area. Restaurants are chosen with an eye for quality and affordability, as well as easy accessibility via public transportation such as BART. East Bay DO events occur with no set schedule but will always be announced with sufficient planning time on Community Buzz.)

Last edited by cepheid; Feb 2, 2009 at 3:36 pm Reason: updated venue, date, and pretty much everything else
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm due back from Europe the night before and should be able to make this if flights go out as scheduled.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Oops, I forgot to reserve Post #2 for the attendee list. Oh well.

Confirmed awesome:
asya999 +1
kalkat
magic111
mahasamatman +1
SFOLIS
wcrhkd +1

Suspected awesome:
BOISJC744
fnothaft
Karen2 +1

So awesome they're not even coming:
boxo
cepheid +1 [Tahoe!]
indo79
KathyWdrf [last-minute illness!]
SFOTerry
tom911

Last edited by cepheid; Mar 9, 2009 at 2:31 pm
Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:01 am

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
I'd love to join, but I've got plans on the peninsula that weekend--too bad it wasn't tonight, as I'm in Berkeley right now. Perhaps I'll be available next time.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:14 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Please put me in the "So awesome words can't describe him" category.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Please put me in the "So awesome words can't describe him" category.
I thought that was so obvious, I just didn't need to include it. So does that mean that you'll show up bearing gifts? Or that you not only won't show up but will actually send some indication of how unworthy we are of your presence?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: United 2P, QMM, eleVAte
i would normally be all for this, but i suspect i'll be at the chinese new years parade that night. so, let's say a maybe...
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I'll be MRing that day.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'm a strong maybe (or whatever the terminology is ).
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Please put us (+1) on the So awesome they're not even coming list. We'll be at the CO DO IV.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Bad news. It looks like the Berkeley location of Unicorn no longer exists. At least there's no mention of it on their web site any more, and their phone number comes back as "you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no loner in service".

Too bad because it was one of the best restaurants in Berkeley.

How about Jayakarta?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Alrightie, plans have changed. Since the Berkeley Unicorn has become as mythical as its namesake, we've changed venues to Jayakarta. We've also changed dates to March, since next weekend is looking poor in terms of attendance (on the parts of your organizers, too).

Please note the new details in the OP. I've cleared out the list of respondents - please re-RSVP for the new date/location.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Huh? The date has changed? Uh, OK. I don't know yet about March 8.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Huh? The date has changed? Uh, OK. I don't know yet about March 8.
Yes, given that we had only 3 "maybes" and the only 2 confirmed attendees were also leaning towards "maybe," we decided it was prudent to change the date as well... gives more people time to plan.

Sorry for being so wishy-washy. If Unicorn hadn't disappeared, we probably wouldn't have changed anything. It's all their fault, really.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:21 am
Original Poster

It's predicted to snow Thur/Fri in Tahoe so I likely would have bailed on the original plans anyway. Good thing we moved it.

Now all we need are some participants!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.