FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   United invites Flyertalkers to join Employee Open House at SFO -- Oct. 12, Fleet Week (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/860126-united-invites-flyertalkers-join-employee-open-house-sfo-oct-12-fleet-week.html)

lucky9876coins Oct 1, 2008 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 10448692)
Is there a list of who's on the plane pulling team - I did volunteer, but not sure if I made the cut :-)

I think I might be more excited about this than I was for the maintenance tour!

Hmmm, everyone that volunteered should have been accepted. I guess I misread a PM you sent me sometime, possibly?

SFOTerry is correct, someone from UA sent out an email to all those participating today with a waiver and some information.

szg Oct 2, 2008 12:50 am

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 10455555)
I received an email from United today about the plane-pulling team with names and email addresses for the team (but no FT handles). If you didn't get one, you probably didn't make the cut. But Lucky only included 2 alternates, so I suspect we may need extras, or have a llight team.

Didn't get one :(

lucky9876coins Oct 2, 2008 8:21 am

Originally Posted by szg (Post 10458108)
Didn't get one :(

Just looking at the email I see that somehow they chopped off the first letter of your first name in your email address, so I'll go ahead and forward it. Worry not, you're on the team!:)

szg Oct 2, 2008 8:31 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 10459207)
Just looking at the email I see that somehow they chopped off the first letter of your first name in your email address, so I'll go ahead and forward it. Worry not, you're on the team!:)

Thanks !!! ^

gfowler-ord-1k Oct 2, 2008 8:45 am

I got my plane pull email. UA's lawyers certainly have got UA covered, which is what they are supposed to do.
...I fully understand that plane pulling events involve risks of serious bodily injury, including permanent disability, paralysis and death...
I guess if we pull too hard the plane could roll over us. :D

goalie Oct 2, 2008 10:13 am

no e-mail for me yet.... :(

lucky9876coins Oct 2, 2008 10:18 am

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 10459828)
no e-mail for me yet.... :(

OK, you should have been included (and you were on the list), but for some reason your email address wasn't included. Let me get back to you on that, because you're definitely on the team.

goalie Oct 2, 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 10459868)
OK, you should have been included (and you were on the list), but for some reason your email address wasn't included. Let me get back to you on that, because you're definitely on the team.

okeydoke but if you could, have them cc it to me at my yahoo address. same first initial & last name just like my std e-mail ;)

sf4dfish Oct 2, 2008 10:54 am

I also did not receive the waiver email?

lucky9876coins Oct 2, 2008 10:58 am

Originally Posted by sf4dfish (Post 10460073)
I also did not receive the waiver email?

Hmm, I show you as being listed correctly. You have a PM.

szg Oct 3, 2008 1:09 am

I don't like to hikejack this thread, but I think, that some of you will arrive on Saturday and maybe interested for joining my private dinner birthday cruise to Alcatraz on the 11th October 2008.

More informations can be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=124

We are now confirmed 15 people and we have space for another 10-15 people to come. So if you like to celebrate my birthday, you like to make a private dinner cruise to Alcatraz and you like to see the Fleet weeks fireworks from a ship, you should join us.

Just send me a PM or sign up at the thread.

goalie Oct 3, 2008 12:15 pm

rec'd my "plane pull waiver" e-mail ^. turns out my address was mis-typed.

remember to bulk on carbs folks as the rampers and blue angels are gonna be toast ;)

jmd001 Oct 3, 2008 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 10466115)
... the rampers and blue angels ...

Do you have anything to ... ahem ... doctor-up those Tootsie Pops with before you give them to the rampers & Blue Angels??? :D:D:D

goalie Oct 3, 2008 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by jmd001 (Post 10466247)
Do you have anything to ... ahem ... doctor-up those Tootsie Pops with before you give them to the rampers & Blue Angels??? :D:D:D

i dunno.....with all the talk of steroids 'n stuff ;)

jmd001 Oct 3, 2008 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 10466808)
... steroids 'n stuff ;)

Maybe I should have written "doctored-down" ;)

"Anti-steroids" are more of what I had in mind... :D:D:D

lucky9876coins Oct 3, 2008 10:31 pm

Just a quick heads up that a mass PM will be going out tomorrow with all the information you could possibly want to know about the event next weekend. In the meantime, feel free to continue signing up for dinner following the event, and if you need to cancel, please do so sooner rather than later.

Thanks!

goalie Oct 4, 2008 10:36 am

goalie's taxi service

hi folks.....

for those going from the city (i.e. san francisco ;)), i'd be happy to offer a ride to the event and to hola afterwards as well. feel free to pm me if interested.

lucky9876coins Oct 4, 2008 11:47 am

Everyone that's confirmed for the event should have received a PM late last night. If you didn't, please PM me.

Pat Plus Oct 4, 2008 7:23 pm

I'm going to this event on my own like a big boy and I'll be flying back on Sunday night after dinner, at 10:30pm.

I'm looking at options to go to/from the restaurant and the airport and to store my bag (since I'll be staying with a friend in SF on Sat night, and not in a airport hotel.)

Do you know if the bag storage facility at SFO in the international terminal is still open, and is reliable? Any clue how much a cab fare would be from Burlingame to SFO?

I'm trying to figure out if it'd be worth renting a car. I looked into taking Caltrain and Bart, but it would mean a 45 min ride :rolleyes:

lucky9876coins Oct 4, 2008 7:29 pm

Pat+, for what it's worth I'm flying out on Sunday night as well (as are many others). I'm hoping we'll have enough locals offering rides to/from dinner so that we can transport everyone that needs a ride, so I really wouldn't worry about that. For all the Burlingame/SFO Do's I've done, transportation has never been an issue, be it shuttling people to the restaurant or shuttling people back to the airport. I wouldn't worry about renting a car.

As for the baggage.... well, that's something I'm working on right now. I don't think there's any bag storage area, but let me see what I can figure out, and I'll post when I come up with an idea.

Pat Plus Oct 4, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanks for the speedy response lucky. Good to know that the FT spirit always works :)

This is what the SFO FAQ says about bags:

http://www.sfoairport.com/web/page/orphan/faq/
Where can I store baggage?
Baggage storage is exclusively available at the Airport Travel Agency, located on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102. The Airport Travel Agency is open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. No reservations are required for baggage storage. All baggage is x-rayed prior to storage.

Rates are assessed per each 24 hour period that an article is in storage (articles in storage for less than 24 hours will be subject to the 24 hour rate), and vary according to the size of the object. Prices range from $3.00 per 24 hours for a purse or camera bag, to $15.00 per 24 hours for a bicycle or surfboard. The fees for regularly sized suitcases range from $6.00 to $10.00 per 24 hours. There is no time limit for storage services.

For additional information, please contact the Airport Travel Agency at 650.877.0422.
I'll call them but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this facility...

tom911 Oct 5, 2008 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Pat+ (Post 10471539)
I'll call them but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this facility...

Check this thread in the San Francisco forum from about 3 weeks ago:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=862153

lucky9876coins Oct 5, 2008 9:41 pm

Two things

First of all, I wanted to let everyone know that we're sold "even" for now. I'm happy to waitlist people as I'm sure we'll have a few more cancellations, but there are no guarantees. If you're interested in being waitlisted, please shoot me a PM with your name. I'm amazed that we've gone through such a big waitlist....

Secondly, as far as bags go, the only thing I can think of is that maybe the locals with cars could help out? How about those with suitcases and those that are willing to help meet at the long term parking lot bus pick-up/drop-off location, which is right by the West Lot - North they'll be parking at around 11AM? Of course drivers and "users" would have to agree upon a time to reclaim bags, but it has the potential to work, if we have enough volunteers and can get it together in a week.

Just trying to think outside the box here, but am open to any other suggestions.

RichardInSF Oct 5, 2008 9:53 pm

Me+1 could go on the waitlist and will do my best to avoid being too cynical to the UA staffers if I make it!

Can assist with transport if I end up going, will be coming from the south and passing SFO. My car holds 5 people + bags, so there's 3 spaces.

boxo Oct 6, 2008 2:50 pm

I'm staying till Monday and will have a hotel/motel room (a la mattress-hopping) Sunday for anyone who would like to store their stuff/shower (is that gross?) before catching redeyes east.

lucky9876coins Oct 7, 2008 8:54 pm

IMPORTANT

Folks,

For those that are looking for a place to store bags during the event, please send me a PM by this Thursday. I need to know how many bags we'll need storage for. Even if you've mentioned the need in the past, please shoot me another PM with the details. We'll definitely have storage for bags, but the actual solution depends on the number of bags.

lucky9876coins Oct 8, 2008 12:58 pm

Two more immediately confirmable spots for Fleet Week. PM me your name if you want in!

cstead Oct 8, 2008 9:53 pm

Rides, carpooling, and extra waiver forms

Just want to offer carpooling one more time for Peninsula FTers. I live in San Carlos, and am planning on driving up with Tintangel. I have room for 2 more, so please PM me if you're interested.

Space permitting, I'm happy to assist with airport dropoff after dinner too:)

Last but not least, I'll bring a few extra blank waiver copies just in case;)

Lightman7 Oct 10, 2008 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 10471522)
Pat+, for what it's worth I'm flying out on Sunday night as well (as are many others). I'm hoping we'll have enough locals offering rides to/from dinner so that we can transport everyone that needs a ride, so I really wouldn't worry about that.

I can give someone a ride to/from the airport (the restaurant isn't that far from the airport, so its no big deal - and I don't drink, so I'll be sober :D).

FlyingBear Oct 10, 2008 1:28 pm

Don't know what the plane puller count is, but if you need one more, just let me know when and what to sign :)

FortFun Oct 11, 2008 3:23 pm

Good Start

Sitting at DEN, VDB'd off DEN-SFO. :D

Starting this DO the same way I finished the last one (with a VDB ;) ).

gfowler-ord-1k Oct 11, 2008 4:27 pm

After attending the IND New Airport Do this afternoon I am sitting at ORD C18 waiting for my SFO flight. The standby and upgrade gods are on my side today.

Until a few days ago the flight was supposed to be a new cabin 763 but that got changed. I doubt I would have my current seat if it had been the new cabin.

goalie Oct 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by FortFun (Post 10505596)
Sitting at DEN, VDB'd off DEN-SFO. :D

Starting this DO the same way I finished the last one (with a VDB ;) ).

show off ;)

N830MH Oct 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Sorry, I can't go to SFO for this time. Maybe next year in 2009 hopefully if I will try go to SFO during same-day trip. Hope you guys will having nice time at SFO by tomorrow. Please bring it back some nice photos for me. Thanks, Lucky! :)

blueman2 Oct 11, 2008 6:01 pm

Lucky,

For locals, did you get suggestions for where to park? The directions in the PM assumed coming from the airport itself.

flyua Oct 11, 2008 7:06 pm

Last-minute Parking and Directions for Fleet Week

Dear Bay Area FTers driving to United's Fleet Week event:

I'm sorry our parking instructions weren't more specific. For those drivers who did not request and receive a Fleet Week event parking permit by last week or were only recently cleared from the event waiting list by Lucky9876coins, please park in the SFO Airport Long Term parking garage, just north of the airport and across from the United Maintenance Base. From Hwy 101, exit at San Bruno Avenue, drive east, and follow the overhead signs to the Long Term Parking high-rise garage. The cost is $14 for the day.

Directions from the parking garage:

Walk to the main road, S. Airport Blvd., and head south along the road-- towards the airport -- until you reach the intersection of S. Airport Blvd. and San Bruno Avenue. At the crosswalk, cross S. Airport Blvd. to reach the United Maintenance Base roadway leading to the main entrance. **Please use caution when crossing S. Airport Blvd, as traffic is heavy and drivers are often distracted at this intersection.** Once on the Base property, follow the roadway south, past the main entrance, towards the visitor entrance guard shack. Here, you will find event volunteers to direct you onward.

Near the event entrance, below a grove of trees, you will see a big, blue "UNITED WELCOMES FLYERTALK" banner and blue/yellow balloons. Lucky and I, along with several flight attendant colleagues, will be looking forward to meeting you there. Once you've been checked off our Flyertalk guest list, you will receive your event wristband needed for access to the event. The event gates open at 11 AM.

We look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow at the United Employee Open House! We're delighted to offer you the chance to join us and our families in our celebration of Fleet Week and all that is United.

lucky9876coins Oct 11, 2008 7:28 pm

We have a few more spots available for tomorrow. Please PM me by 10PM west coast time tonight if you're still interested. I probably won't get around to checking PM's till around 11PM or so (west coast time), so expect a response around then.

jmd001 Oct 11, 2008 8:11 pm

The $3 Solution

If $14 for parking makes you cringe (you've rather save it for a top-shelf margarita at Hola's), here's the $3 solution. It is more than a bit convoluted, but for the budget minded...

1) Park in garage at the Millbrae BART station (free on weekends); the walkway to BART/Caltrain is on Level 4
2) Buy a $3 BART ticket, and take BART to San Bruno (no longer are there non-stops from Millbrae to SFO :( ).
3) At the San Bruno Station, cross the platform and take the next train that says it is going to SFO (do NOT get on at train to Millbrae; you don't want to do this a second time!) Cost of the "one way" trip: $1.50
4) Exit BART at SFO, go upstairs, and take AirTrain to the Rental Car Facility
5) Exit the Rental Car Facility and walk along McDonnell Road to the UA Facililty and the FT banner.

Afterward, do it in reverse.

CAUTION: There are NO sidewalks on McDonnell Road. If you take this route, be VERY careful!

gfowler-ord-1k Oct 11, 2008 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k (Post 10361339)
I will bring my camcorder so someone else will have to do the recording since I am in the pull.

I left the camcorder in my car at IND. Could someone please bring one to record our winning plane pull team.

Pat Plus Oct 12, 2008 2:02 am

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k (Post 10506919)
I left the camcorder in my car at IND. Could someone please bring one to record our winning plane pull team.

Worst case scenario, my camera takes videos... not HD, but better than nothing.

See ya all in a couple hours!