Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

"Oz Fest #2" in SYDNEY - Memorial Day weekend May 27/29 2005. Who is interested?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #2" in SYDNEY - Memorial Day weekend May 27/29 2005. Who is interested?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2005, 2:37 pm

I don't know how you handle running an event like this without going nutty.
Then again perhaps you're well on your way.
I hear you have recently developed something of a nervous twitch, moaning in your sleep things like, "You let us all into the Qantas club now or the koala gets it!".

Those who didn't confirm their spots in a timely fashion should be ritually paddled -- which would really add to the entertainment value of the event anyway.

Perhaps I shouldn't thank you just yet, since our blue mountain tour bus might still fly off a cliff or somesuch. Why aren't more signing up for this lovely tour anyway? People, don't let the lengthy waivers and organ donor cards scare you.
We did a lengthy guided tour in a van last year and it was wonderful. We weren't quite sure then if people passed out from the wine, so this year Richard promises to take beano and bathe.
Old May 14, 2005, 2:54 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I appreciate the BM tour offer and how Glen and co organised it so there's still time to return to Syd in time for evening flights.

Personally, I've some non-FT friends in Sydney that I want to catch up with, and I arranged that before I learnt the BM tour was permissable with my flight... I also suspect I may need some extra beauty sleep that Sunday morning, as I would have started my travel to Sydney at effectively 2am on Saturday...
Old May 16, 2005, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tinkybelle

prices for smorgasboard at 4 pts is $69 and sheraton on the Prk(better food-no view)$89
if we can get some Plat priv cards then that will halve the price.

Ill now go into some other options.
From the freezing wastes of the Black Hills in South Dakota, (14" of snow here 2 days back) - thanks for checking Tinky.

I had initially thought of the 4 Points buffet like you, but at $69 a head and ~$40 a bottle for cheapest wine etc, thought it might run ~$100 a head for many and be way outside some budgets. Not sure how many Plat dining cards could be rounded up was the drawback. And thought for many visitors eating right on Darling Harbour might be more an experience than in our Hotel!

Another FT'er said to me by email just as I left he'd been at an Italian place right on Darling Harbour last week, and was going to chime in with the name for you folks to maybe look at. Thanks for the input - I am sure something great will be decided on for Friday night!

Off to Mt Rushmore now, and to see some herds of Bison in Custer National Park.

Glen
Old May 16, 2005, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I had initially thought of the 4 Points buffet like you, but at $69 a head and ~$40 a bottle for cheapest wine etc, thought it might run ~$100 a head for many and be way outside some budgets. Not sure how many Plat dining cards could be rounded up was the drawback. And thought for many visitors eating right on Darling Harbour might be more an experience than in our Hotel!

Glen
A restaurant on Darling Harbour (rather than the Four Points) would certainly be my preference as well, if at all possible.

P.S. tinkybelle - I like French reds too.
Old May 16, 2005, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Lightbulb What about the Rocks?

Has any considered one of the restaurants in "The Rocks"?

There's some there that are not too expensive and I quite like. for example, "Phillip's Foote" where you cook & serve your own.

Easy (and fun) to get to from using the "Rocket Ferry" transfers between The Rocks and Sydney's Darling Harbour.
Old May 16, 2005, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
"Phillip's Foote" where you cook & serve your own.
Surely you jest.
When I go to a restaurant I expect the cooking to be done by some creative chef or at the very least a graduate of a prominent cooking school. Anything that either of us would "cook and serve on [our] own" would certainly be completely unpalatable.
Old May 16, 2005, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
At Philips Foote, do they have non-feet entrees on the menu?
Old May 16, 2005, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monitor
Surely you jest.
When I go to a restaurant I expect the cooking to be done by some creative chef or at the very least a graduate of a prominent cooking school. Anything that either of us would "cook and serve on [our] own" would certainly be completely unpalatable.
Actually, I'm quite comfortable with my own culinary expertise. Standing around a BBQ with like minded people, ale in hand is quite a pleasant passtime ^ .

However, what I was more suggesting that maybe the location might not be restricted to Darling Harbour. The one mentioned was mererly an example.

There are many many places from the Opera House, down through Circular Quay, around and up to the Rocks, under the Harbour Bridge and back down around Darling Harbour that provide fine food.

Here's an interesting thread from earlier this year on a very similar subject.

Me, I'm going to have a close look at my Sydney Entertainment book; I'm sure there's an appropriate 50% off main course or 25% off total bill available there
Old May 16, 2005, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techgirl
At Philips Foote, do they have non-feet entrees on the menu?
Havn't seen any entrees there whatsoever, feet, non-feet, hands are or any appendage in general.

But on re-reading my post #515 a little while back; I can assure you that "where you cook & serve your own." does not mean fricassee of FlyerTalker!
Old May 17, 2005, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
...Standing around a BBQ with like minded people, ale in hand is quite a pleasant passtime ^ ....
IMO this does not qualify as "cooking." This is a social event.
Even I can throw a slab of meat on an outside grill and pull it off before it gets overdone but the best part of that deal is of course the standing around with ale in hand.
Old May 18, 2005, 10:52 pm

Ua Sfo-syd

For anyone still considering this, I notice a T fare SFO-SYD May 23-30 say for $781.78. Although of course non-upgradable, this seems to be a very reasonable fare for last minute travel, 14,824 status miles. (A lot less than I'm paying!)
Old May 18, 2005, 10:54 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
restlessinRNO, see you for a drink on Wednesday (assuming I get over this cold/flu that has struck me down this week - better I got it "off my chest" this week than next!). I'll let you know where I'll be finally staying....

Last edited by QF WP; May 18, 2005 at 10:55 pm Reason: correcting comment
Old May 18, 2005, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by QF WP
restlessinRNO, see you for a drink on Wednesday (assuming I get over this cold/flu that has struck me down this week - better I got it "off my chest" this week than next!). I'll let you know where I'll be finally staying....
QF WP - I hope you're feeling better soon. Looking forward to seeing you for drinks next Wednesday.

P.S. I'm in the health care field. I recommend a glass of red wine for colds.
Old May 18, 2005, 11:18 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
That's all I collect....but without a nose to use at the moment, I fear it's a waste of a good red that I would drink and not fully appreciate, thus I will desist until next Wednesday...
Old May 18, 2005, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Or we can get into somewhere with the entertainment books and just give 2 persons one card and that way it wont get too dramatic at bill time.
I understand what oz is saying they we dont need dramas at the end.
I drink french and cant expect everyone to buy it ...
There's not a lot of time left, especially for a Friday Night booking. It would be preferable for a Sydney Resident to finalise this.

Below is a list of entries in the Entertainment Book for Darling Harbor places (sorted by cost/saving).

I note that Pier 26 Café & Bar is the pre dinner venue for Saturday Night. The cruise would be out as well (aside from anything else, it's $102 WITH voucher & drinks are extra). I also believe that Asian noodles would be better for a quick lunch rather than a dinner.

Code:
Seafood  Blue Fish           Complimentary Main     to $35 Value  Shop 287, Harbourside Shopping Ctr  

Middle Eastern
         Sumac               25% off the TOTAL BILL to $35 Value  Shop 284, Harbourside Shopping Ctr  

Seafood  Jordons             Complimentary MAIN     to $34 Value  197 Harbourside                     

Indian   Zaaffran            25% off the TOTAL BILL to $25 Value  Level 2, 345 Harbourside            

Café     Café B&C            25% off the TOTAL BILL to $20 Value  L 2, 473-475 H'side Shopping Ctr    

Café     Pier 26 Café & Bar  Complimentary MAIN     to $20 Value  Pier 26, Aquarium Wharf             

Japanese Wagamama            25% off the TOTAL BILL to $20 Value  49 Lime Street, King Street Wharf   

Asian Noodle Bar
         Wok on Inn          25% off the TOTAL BILL to $15 Value  Shop 430, L 2, H'side Shopping Ctr  

Modern Australian
         Matilda Cruises     25% Off anyCRUISE for up to TWO PEOPLE  Aquarium Wharf
As for myself, I have no real issues with either cuisine or cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.