FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Impromptu LEX DO Oct 3, 2020 weekend [was LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XVI April 10-12] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1991286-impromptu-lex-do-oct-3-2020-weekend-lex-horse-bourbon-do-xvi-april-10-12-a.html)

rxgeek Mar 19, 2020 10:25 am

Keeneland's FB site says Spring Meet is cancelled.
https://www.keeneland.com/media/news...afety-concerns
Time to pull the plug? No racing, restaurants and probably distillery tours. And we have to limit the DO to 10 people standing no closer than 6 feet.
I have plenty of bourbon at home. How can we do a virtual DO?

Herb687 Mar 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek (Post 32207099)
Keeneland's FB site says Spring Meet is cancelled.
https://www.keeneland.com/media/news...afety-concerns
Time to pull the plug? No racing, restaurants and probably distillery tours. And we have to limit the DO to 10 people standing no closer than 6 feet.

Interestingly I've been getting a lot of email ads via Square from two of our favorite LEX food and beverage merchants: Goodfellas Pizza and Crank and Boom Ice Cream.

Public service announcement that C&B is open for takeout and they are also still shipping their ice cream!

I have plenty of bourbon at home. How can we do a virtual DO?
I better make a trip to East Texas to stock up in case liquor stores are deemed nonessential.

On a related note, anyone up for a hand sanitizer tasting DO?
https://www.wdrb.com/news/louisville...6ea398fbd.html

rxgeek Mar 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 32207532)
Interestingly I've been getting a lot of email ads via Square from two of our favorite LEX food and beverage merchants: Goodfellas Pizza and Crank and Boom Ice Cream.

Public service announcement that C&B is open for takeout and they are also still shipping their ice cream!

I better make a trip to East Texas to stock up in case liquor stores are deemed nonessential.

On a related note, anyone up for a hand sanitizer tasting DO?
https://www.wdrb.com/news/louisville...6ea398fbd.html

Any politician closing liquor stores risks losing re-election. My latest million$ idea: DoorDash.for liquor stores..I'm open to better name suggestions.
The Ohio gov closed barbershops yesterday. In a month I will look like TMB's fb 'before' picture.

Flying Machine Mar 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek (Post 32207666)
Any politician closing liquor stores risks losing re-election. My latest million$ idea: DoorDash.for liquor stores..I'm open to better name suggestions.
The Ohio gov closed barbershops yesterday. In a month I will look like TMB's fb 'before' picture.

DRIZLY beat you to it a long time ago

ElmhurstNick Mar 19, 2020 8:00 pm

Unfortunately, I am out. I've cancelled all travel for the foreseeable future that requires a hotel room. I just don't trust the cleaning crews. If NBA and NHL players can get infected two days apart in the same room at a luxury hotel, I have no faith in the cleaning staff at mid-tier places.

I have the October dates on my calendar.

toomanybooks Mar 19, 2020 8:28 pm

I am still probably going to LEX, by vehicle, as I want to see my parents anyway and that will mark about 4 weeks since they and I have been self-isolating. Would be up for doing whatever happens to be open, should anyone come.

Not safe for anyone else to see my parents, unfortunately. There is always October. They always enjoy the group.

Zorak Mar 19, 2020 9:57 pm

My outbound flight is on the 8th, and my plan is to see how things look on the 7th...

Zorak Mar 19, 2020 10:57 pm

I saw this map on Facebook:

Eh, I think FB links in FT are broken.

Anyway, Kentucky Bourbon Trail 2020:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...aa41226608.jpg

Herb687 Mar 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick (Post 32209085)
Unfortunately, I am out. I've cancelled all travel for the foreseeable future that requires a hotel room. I just don't trust the cleaning crews. If NBA and NHL players can get infected two days apart in the same room at a luxury hotel, I have no faith in the cleaning staff at mid-tier places.

Probably a good call. I once contracted ringworm and strongly suspect that the St. Regis ATL was the culprit as it was the only hotel in which I stayed during the probable incubation period.

platbrownguy Mar 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 32209153)
I am still probably going to LEX, by vehicle, as I want to see my parents anyway and that will mark about 4 weeks since they and I have been self-isolating. Would be up for doing whatever happens to be open, should anyone come.

Not safe for anyone else to see my parents, unfortunately. There is always October. They always enjoy the group.

I was hoping to join y'all this time, having planned on coming to a previous LEX Do some time ago. I teach a class at the law school in Louisville on Mondays (and have other work in Frankfort these days too), so it would have been convenient... but class is of course now online for the rest of the semester. I even had a room booked at the HR in Lexington, but just canceled it (along with everything else).

Anyhow, cheers and I hope to make it in October, assuming life is back to normal by then. In the meanwhile, I am breaking out the good bourbon that I managed to snag at MSRP through a liquor store lottery. A toast to your health and your parents.

Herb687 Mar 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek (Post 32207666)
Any politician closing liquor stores risks losing re-election.

My county just announced a shelter in place order and, as you predicted, liquor stores appear to be categorized as essential businesses.

DELee Mar 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post 32220455)
My county just announced a shelter in place order and, as you predicted, liquor stores appear to be categorized as essential businesses.

"<hic>!"

David

mattp1987 Mar 22, 2020 8:52 pm

I'm pretty sure I know what county you're in, and I read this in a news article:

Essential business includes retailers like grocery stores, gas stations and convenience stores, in addition to healthcare providers, news outlets and restaurants providing takeout, delivery and drive-thru services. Essential infrastructure providers, like local governments, trash collection and telecommunication systems providers can also remain open. Charity organizations that provide help to those in need and child care providers are also exempted from the order.
It doesn't specifically mention liquor stores, but it generally sounds like the restrictions we're under in SAT despite not having an official shelter in place order. I'm just glad I can still go out and run.

toomanybooks Mar 23, 2020 6:49 am

Same in IL. My local brewpub is selling 1/2 gallon growlers for $5 and discounted dinner takeout specials.

The list of allowable businesses is pretty extensive.

Governator Mar 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 32221782)
Same in IL. My local brewpub is selling 1/2 gallon growlers for $5 and discounted dinner takeout specials.

The list of allowable businesses is pretty extensive.

PA has shut the state liquor stores, so no hard stuff for awhile. Still can get beer/wine at the grocery stores.