Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will We Ever See Another South Florida Meet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will We Ever See Another South Florida Meet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Ok, why don't we go ahead and pick May 3-May 5 as the next dates for our South Florida DO? This way our friends who live further away can plan ahead. We can stay with Boca Raton with the Embassy Suites as our "official" hotel as in the past or we can try to move the location further south, like in Fort Lauderdale or Miami area? I personally think we should stick with Embassy Suites as we do take advantage of their evening manager reception. Your input is much appreciated. You may send me a pm if you'd like. Should we start a new thread?
ES in Boca is right next to the social security office, and a lot of us are approaching that age.

Although a Marriott guy, the manager's reception thing does sound good. There is also one in Deerfield and on Las Olas in FLL. All are fine AFAIAC.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Ceres
ES in Boca is right next to the social security office, and a lot of us are approaching that age.
Warning to smokers: The ES in Boca no longer allows smoking.
cruisr likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
maybe

03MAY-05MAY might be good. I'm interested. Hey aSiAnRiCk, Dovster, long time no see. It will be good to catch up.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
I have been trying to get down to that area to visit family, so would be up for 1st weekend in May.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by bdnyc
03MAY-05MAY might be good.
I can make this weekend work also. Let us know when the date is finalized.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Okay, anyone else? How about location? Embassy Suites in Boca Raton is good or you guys want to pick a different location? There are other hotels nearby too, with rates going in both directions lol

I'm going to start a new thread soon as I'm heading to SYD/AKL this coming week for 3 weeks.

I'm going to help come up with activities for the weekend. Maybe it will include a group trip to Little Havana in Miami. We can take the Tri-Rail there as the ES Boca Raton is walking distance (12 minutes walk or we can use the hotel shuttle) to the Tri-Rail station. And we can have a seafood lunch at the largest flea market in South Florida (Sunrise Flea Market) ... it's "very" local atmosphere. Just a suggestion of course. See below for the pics I took.

ps: I definitely can use the help to make this a successful meet. After all, our last "official PBI-FLL meet" was in 2009! I hate to admit but I "kinda" miss you guys lol

Last edited by aSiAnRiCk; Feb 15, 2019 at 10:35 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:47 pm

03MAY-05MAY might be good. I'm interested. Hey aSiAnRiCk, Dovster, long time no see. It will be good to catch up.
Hello! Yes for sure and am looking forward to it. I will always remember the Times Square NYE experience and be forever grateful. Hope all is well and safe travels.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Hey aSiAnRiCk, Dovster
Two FT legends. It will be nice to meet you.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
Unfortunately, we will not get the chance to meet. When I turned 70 I decided that 12 hours in an aluminum tube (which just gets me to JFK) is getting to be a bit much. Since then, I have restricted myself to flights to Europe.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Unfortunately, we will not get the chance to meet. When I turned 70 I decided that 12 hours in an aluminum tube (which just gets me to JFK) is getting to be a bit much. Since then, I have restricted myself to flights to Europe.
Aww what a bummer Dov .. I was hoping you'd be able to attend. Age is nothing but a number but sometime you must listen to your body (wow I sound like my mom). May our path cross again in the future and wishing you good health and safe travels!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:11 am

The feeling is mutual Bob!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Dovster
.... I have restricted myself to flights to Europe.
There is a way to solve this dilemma.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: Independent
I'm up for it. So long as its within, say a hours or so drive from FLL or MIA.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We are in and if Rick is up for putting it together, he will have our help.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:38 pm

Some advice from somebody who has arranged Meets in Florida, New York, Switzerland, and Israel:

Restaurants prefer that groups pay a set amount, with very limited options on what you can order. Do NOT agree to this. Nor should you agree to split the bill evenly. Each attendee should be free to order what he wants from the regular menus and to get a separate check. There are a couple of reasons for this: For one thing, not everyone likes the same food. For another, some have very expensive tastes and are not bothered in the least about how much they are charged while others are on restricted budgets and would prefer a low-cost meal. The restaurant, at first, will argue that they can't accommodate 30 or 40 people this way but that is BS. If they can serve the same number of people who come in individually and give them separate checks, they can do so for a group of that size.

Lucille's Bad to the Bone, in Delray Beach, where we held most of the South Florida meets, was very cooperative in this and even set up a separate room for us. Just be certain to make the reservation as early as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.